Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
I understand that this is a UBB.Threads Discussion Forum but you guys are smart and video embedding software is not your competitor

I tried doing my own research on the best video embedding software out there, but could not find any good info on this

It is also referred to as a: Youtube Clone

There are several out there that are free

Here is one: http://www.vidiscript.com

Here you can see VidiScript in action:

http://ebnlive.net/edgetube/play/Da...Archive_2010/EBNs_Live_Show__13th_Feb_10

And this is the main page of that site:

http://www.theedgeam.com/

I looked at the Server Requirements and spoke to my Web Hosting Company

One would need a Dedicated Server to run this, because you have to change the php and mysql options on the server

The part that I don't like about all of these Free Video Embedding Software programs is that you cannot appoint Moderators

Would UBB.Threads ever be interested in creating a UBB.Threads Video Embedding Software Program, where one can appoint Moderators and change skins ?

How hard would that be for you guys to create? I have no idea

Last edited by lightningrod; 02/21/2010 7:18 PM.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
very hard to create from scratch.. i've used Clip Share and, so far it works great.

where it really gets hard is if you want to venture into the HiDef world.. that requires a lot of installation at the server side. just assuming that one downloads mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg, grabs some audio and video codecs via RPM or YUM ain't gonna cut it if you want to do it right..

then you run into the whole font overlays and getting that part to work for text ads etc..

i found that the Nero Encoder is the best for hidef, versus the h.264 one that you can find tutorials about on the web..

too many subtle things to check and also you have to solve the video upload issue where you have to open up the max_post_size and stuff like that to accept large videos to be encoded in the background..

after you get it working, then you also need to decide on a good player. mplayer is ok, but there are better ones out there.. (i recommend nuevo player)

bla bla bla.. but its not for the faint of heart, nor is it easy to just upload a wmv and 'it works!' wink

http://hsoshow.com/video/41/Click-HD-and-Full-Size--Caves-and-Ancient-Life is an example of a nice HD video with the player skinned to the customer's liking.. it took me longer than i wanted to get it right, but in the end, it can be a good thing...

that project is still on-going with the next/final part to integrate the user DB from both softwares.. clip-share to/from ubbthreads.

just to reiterate.. it's not a small task and using 'free stuff' out there prolly won't do you any better than just using YouTube and embedding from there wink

What he said.
If you have big bucks to go with a dedicated streaming server then go for it.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
very hard to create from scratch.. i've used Clip Share and, so far it works great.

where it really gets hard is if you want to venture into the HiDef world.. that requires a lot of installation at the server side. just assuming that one downloads mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg, grabs some audio and video codecs via RPM or YUM ain't gonna cut it if you want to do it right..

then you run into the whole font overlays and getting that part to work for text ads etc..

i found that the Nero Encoder is the best for hidef, versus the h.264 one that you can find tutorials about on the web..

too many subtle things to check and also you have to solve the video upload issue where you have to open up the max_post_size and stuff like that to accept large videos to be encoded in the background..

after you get it working, then you also need to decide on a good player. mplayer is ok, but there are better ones out there.. (i recommend nuevo player)

bla bla bla.. but its not for the faint of heart, nor is it easy to just upload a wmv and 'it works!' wink

http://hsoshow.com/video/41/Click-HD-and-Full-Size--Caves-and-Ancient-Life is an example of a nice HD video with the player skinned to the customer's liking.. it took me longer than i wanted to get it right, but in the end, it can be a good thing...

that project is still on-going with the next/final part to integrate the user DB from both softwares.. clip-share to/from ubbthreads.

just to reiterate.. it's not a small task and using 'free stuff' out there prolly won't do you any better than just using YouTube and embedding from there wink

I didn't know it was that complicated

That HD video was awesome... wow

Originally Posted by Ruben
What he said.
If you have big bucks to go with a dedicated streaming server then go for it.

Big bucks? My web hosting company will charge $10 - $15 a month, extra, for a Dedicated Server

Problem is these Free video embedding programs don't give you the ability to appoint Moderators

Well just because it is a dedicated server plan does not mean it will be adequate. You have to consider bandwidth and storage space with the plan offered from your host.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
journeyman
journeyman
I was looking at some options for a client a few months ago and stumbled on AmazonS3. Wondering what you guys think of it, I know SitePoint is hosting it video tutorials there

Link to some Comparison Providers
http://www.internetmarketingspeed.com/how-to/how-to-stream-amazon-s3-video-on-your-website/

Val

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
I'd say for most forum owners, you'd want to get 3rd party sites to foot the bandwidth bill for you.

Amazon, YouTube are two good options..

Only if you are uber serious about hosting your own stuff, would i recommend what i talked about in the 1st post.. otherwise let the big guys host the stuff for you and you just do the embedding on your site smile

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
I'd say for most forum owners, you'd want to get 3rd party sites to foot the bandwidth bill for you.

Amazon, YouTube are two good options..

Only if you are uber serious about hosting your own stuff, would i recommend what i talked about in the 1st post.. otherwise let the big guys host the stuff for you and you just do the embedding on your site smile

I would like to create an Alternative to Youtube

Youtube bans anyone who speaks out against the militant homosexual agenda

So I want a politically incorrect video site

Problem is that I can't find any video embedding software that will allow you to appoint Moderators

Appointing Moderators would be a big help in moderating the video site.

I can not Moderate something like that. I would have to set it to pre-approve the video, and watch each video to approve it? I can't do that

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've seen clipshare used a lot, it's not half bad... In fact, i think that's what the Snow Japan forums use.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I've seen clipshare used a lot, it's not half bad... In fact, i think that's what the Snow Japan forums use.

Ok I just looked at the clipshare features

http://www.clip-share.com/product/features/

wow

that's a nice long list of features

So I will assume that clipshare is better the vidiscript

?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I havent tried vidiscript, but i did help with snowjapan's setup

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Gizmo

yep, i modified their development site (i'm 'mrdude' over there laugh ), to add the BBcode in the view_video template and social bookmarks.. that's how i first came across the product. of course the embed initially gagged in IE, which really got me curious as to why.. IE is picky that way frown

anyway the new clipshare v4 does embeds right now and i'm happy with the product.. i prefer it over vidscript... 2c

it definitely is STILL lacking on multiple user groups, but their software is at least easy to understand and they user Smarty too, which is a familiar thing! smile

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Ok I just Researched this again

Many are saying that phpmotion is the best

http://www.phpmotion.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29