Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#234998 02/20/2010 11:21 PM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Has anyone here ever successfully used it for their UBB? If so, do you have any tips and/or tricks?

DLWebmaestro #234999 02/21/2010 12:04 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
is there a link?

http://www.mobify.me/ helps smile

It does real well on Wordpress. I tested it on my blog and found that there are quirks like the top logo being a transparent PNG loses it's pizzaz... all that is able to be worked around however for a blog like wordpress that is built around a <div> / css layout structure.

having common named divs REALLY helps too.. like #footer, #header, #content, #sidebar etc..

ubbthreads 8.0 will be much more condicive to this being a possibility, since 7.5.5 and before are heavily table driven.

another thing is to take the time to style the various 'types' of pages. example of a blog would be 'page', 'article', 'contact', 'categories' etc etc..

for threads it would prolly be a subset of things like: 'recent topics', 'post list', 'forum list', 'show thread'..

the obscure ones like edit prefs and edit profile would be a little tricker with the optional 'my left stuff'...

all in all, that is a nice service.. dunno about speed though, because if you look @ a mobified site, it's serving up resized images from yoursite.mobify.me a lot of times smile

SD #235000 02/21/2010 12:29 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline

DLWebmaestro #235062 02/22/2010 6:42 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
one thing i'd recommend instead is to really (in version 8) have a automatically detected 'mobile' device connection and to switch to it..

for example my blog has that in Wordpress.. that way you'd save the middle man and speed..

Click here on a mobile device and you'll see the difference vs. the normal theme displayed.. no special url to remember either.. I have an iTouch and was blown away at how nice the list of articles looked and uber blown away that it handled the syntax highlighting for posts with code in them.

Clicky Poo for an actual article

now for the life of me, i don't know how to do a screenie on a mobile eek , but what it does is really neat. for example if an article has comments, it just puts a Red circle and a number over the Calendar date.. real nice for real estate problems..

[Edit]:found a way.. use Safari in developer mode to emulate iPhone Screenie of what a mobile sees

you wouldn't get that with mobify or you would have to do more work at least, so i can't say FOR SURE..

Linky Poo to typical screenies from plugin itself (not my site) shows it off much better wink

now an 'article' would prolly be a 'thread' in ubbt, so the concept is quite interchangeable.. categories are categories.. all the similar terminology between a BLOG and a FORUM are perty close.. just typing is always a bitch though and you can prolly forget about the ADMIN side of things! laugh

However, with UBB.threads going to more flexible layout/styling, i think that kinda stuff is just around the corner smile

SD #235099 02/23/2010 8:40 PM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Mobify has it so you can setup your site to identify and automatically send visitors to your mobile version. I have it turned off now, but when enabled, if a user is on a mobile device and go to my website, it automatically sends them to the Mobify version which resides at m.drumlines.org.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29