Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#235152 02/26/2010 12:51 AM
stranger
stranger
How about having a color picker for the shoutbox? That's something several have mentioned to me. Maybe something so it's remembered.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Personally, as an admin, I'd really rather stay away from ubbcode/html/colors in the shoutbox, bright/ugly colors (for chat) would really take away from other places of the forum I'd rather have user attention (not to mention, it would definitely look ugly seeing several different colors of text (and names) scrolling by). If this sort of option was allowed, I'd definitely want to be able to have it disabled.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235155 02/26/2010 8:16 AM
stranger
stranger
I would too. (As an admin). lol Like I said, the members want it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A lot of the time users "want" something, and when it comes to be, they find it distracting and no longer want it lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #235178 02/26/2010 7:53 PM
stranger
stranger
So, that being the point. Why create skins with different colors? Why not just have them black and white?

journeyman
journeyman
Some people like softer colors, some like bolder colors, some like light colors and some like dark colors and most of the time they have options which they want to look at.

With the Columns there are no options to turn the off. On some sites the shout box can be very very active, here it is pretty calm. On a busy site I hate the shout box.

I have on a different site asked members to remove an image in their siggy line or avatar as there are people with seizure conditions that flashing stuff sets it off.

I try to please the masses but will make exceptions for things like seizure conditions. You aren't going to plase everyone, so I try for the majority.

Val

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, skins are completely separate than allowing users to use any color they want to post in the shoutbox...

imagine, your theme is a blue and white theme, and you have member posting in fuchsia and pink in the sidebar which throws your colorscheme off... add to that ad islands where you WANT peoples attention and you're drawing your real estate to some meaningless random conversation versus content that would be where you want users to look...

I can see where you'd like it, I'm just providing reasons why it would be distracting to have... personally, if it's added, i'm just saying i want a way to remove it...

Gizmo #235193 02/27/2010 1:15 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i tend to want to disable color selection even in the standard text editor.. Cyan text on one theme may be nice for the poster, but viewed on another theme might look horrid..

hence why i create custom BBCodes for things like [h1] [h2] [callout] etc...

then the style dictates what should look best

this goes for font size selection too.. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29