Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have found that quite a few users NEVER click on the flashing envelope that indicates they have a PM (Private Message).

I have seen this time and again where I'll send a PM, and check back a week later to see that they have not read it. Yet they have visited the forum and even posted.

I know I cannot ignore those flashing things on my screen, but apparently there is a significant percentage of the population who do not pay any attention to it.

So.... I am thinking that maybe a new feature or something that would really get users' attention. Perhaps, after ignoring a PM for an hour, or three visits (...or something like that), a bold notice would appear as the first topic in every forum saying:
        YOU HAVE NEW MESSAGES.   --->> CLICK HERE <<---

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
lol. i like it!

little modification to header.tpl and you would be good to go! laugh

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, the UBB.Classic modification "PM Inbox System" I think had a javascript alert that popped up "You have a new message" (maybe i'm thinking of the IM mod though)...

I do agree, we need another alert method... Personally, I'm not a fan of the flashy envelope...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
VB has a pop up telling you that you have a message, you click on that and it tells you with another it is taking you to your messages, you click that and it takes you to the message, You can not read or do anything TILL YOU READ the message.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by JAISP
You can not read or do anything TILL YOU READ the message.

Yuk! I would hate that.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
What is VB? Messages forcing you someplace aren't nice.

I still like some sort of prominent message at the top of the list of new threads. Or a pop up where users could reset to not reappear for a specified amount of time.

Veteran
Veteran
Well, was just telling what other companies do in their software. I will not ever even state anyting else again on here.

By the way. I have learned a long time ago with UBB that if what you want is not in it just write it in there, then you will have what you want the way you want it.

I'm not saying UBB is bad I'm just saying that in most cases the beta testers and certain groups in the past have had the ear of the designers over others in most cases.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by JAISP
Well, was just telling what other companies do in their software. I will not ever even state anything else again on here.
Whoa man! I appreciate your describing it. I'm just saying I don't like what VB does.

But you didn't answer -- what is VB? Visual Basic comes to my mind.

And this software really is the best. Just love the things we can do to tailor the forums. It's pretty gruesome to visit another forum using different software and try to navigate through. Of course maybe I'm biased since I've used UBB for so long, but I've never heard much complaining from users.

I think the telling factor is that the software developers not only write the stuff, but they USE it all the time. There is no better attribute.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i'm an asp.net programmer for a living, so VB means visual basic to me too laugh

and i'll agree with you SteveC that Rick listens and is very open to changes that make sense.

i've had his ear for awhile and it really is as simple as sending a PM or making a post in the forums.. he reads and is fair about an up or down on my ideas ('cept he went with YUI!! laugh )

back to the topic tho, i agree that i really can't understand how a user can ignore a flashing envelope.. it bugs the heck out of me, when i have one..

oh well.. :shrug:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Since we're veering off-course here... what IS "YUI", Yahoo User Interface? I went searching, and didn't fund a definitive answer.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah it's a javascript framework.. popular ones are:

• mootools
  • jQuery
  • prototype / scriptaculous
  • YUI - yahoo user interface

makes things all AJAXie and stuff wink

they are essentially very similar in nature (they are ALL .js, so that makes sense) and offer pretty much all you'd want, so it comes down to a preference, imho..

i started out loving scriptaculous and have since switched to jQuery, mainly because it's the defacto for Wordpress and i'm now very familiar with its quirks and features.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I assume VB means VBulletin forum (...and folks 'round here reckon SD knew that all along wink )

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I think what our plan is to have a popup notice when you first login. Basically something that says, you have X number of new private messages, do you want to read them now? With an option to read now, or skip.

Possibly no further notices during that session, unless they get a new private message while they are online then they'll get another popup.

At least that's something that we're looking at. Some people will hate the intrusion, but if you give them the option to turn it off, then it someone defeats the purpose. We'll see as it progresses.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
> have a popup notice when you first login

Sounds like a good plan.

...as long as the users who check the Remember me on each visit check box also get the notice on each visit.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Thats what I was thinking...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I will just write a nag box very large under the header bar like I have always done in the past.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
I think what our plan is to have a popup notice when you first login. Basically something that says, you have X number of new private messages, do you want to read them now? With an option to read now, or skip.

perfecto! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 803 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29