Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#235911 03/29/2010 10:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
We just upgraded to the latest version from 6.5.5 and I can't seem to find a way to turn on the upload attachments feature. In our old board you could preview and attach an image but I'll be danged if I can find it with the new software - where is it?


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Click on the "file manager" under the post window.

Or, are you asking how to set it up?


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #235913 03/29/2010 10:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
You have to turn it on in the control panel under feature settings, and then activate it for each forum where you want to allow them.


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #235914 03/29/2010 10:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
Hello Thank You,

I must have it setup wrong then if you are saying there is a 'file manager' I am assuming near the 'poll manager'

I've run through all the permissions and did not see a way to turn it on besides add the attachment size limits (which I did)


Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
The Storage Directories are set and everything under 'features/general' and features/attachments looks correct.


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Did you look at the forum manager in control panel? Once it is set up you have to go into the forum manager, and go into each forum where you want attachments to be allowed. There is a check box to turn it on. Again, it has to be done for each forum.

And you are correct - if you use the "Reply" function in this thread, you will see the file manager right by the poll manager.

Last edited by SteveS; 03/29/2010 10:41 PM.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #235917 03/29/2010 10:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Also check forum permissions to set for groups

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
Well, well, OK the mass permission copy is not working as the template permissions I copied to all the folders is not working. I'll have to do them all manually I guess.

Thanks For the Help!!


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
They work, you got to remember to click save at the bottom or the permissions will not be applied.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12
K
stranger
stranger
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 12


laugh

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
enthusiast
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
Just a quick question on the file attachment feature... I enabled it for a members only section on our board. Are the files secure from outside access such as google, or non members?

Thanks,

Ian


Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Make sure you go into each forums permissions and set guests and others you dont want to download the attachment to 0

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, the url can be accessed from anyone, however the url won't be published if it's in a private forum... If a guest can't see it on your site, neither can a search engine.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #236654 05/06/2010 12:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
enthusiast
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
Thanks Gizmo. I tried accessing the file link when I was not logged in and it said I did not have access. Can I put a spiders.txt file in the dir on the server so they don't crawl it?


Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, again if it's a private forum they can't index the url as there wouldn't be anything linking them to the page it's indexed on...

Plus, since the URLs don't show the forum they belong to when listing a thread, there isnt' really a robots.txt rule to craft to ban one specific forum...

But since it's a private forum there isn't anything they can index as nothing is public there...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 527 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)