Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#164958 10/04/2006 5:30 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This forum is a new forum with the release of 7.0. Many questions in this area can be answered by our customers as well as our staff. So, if you have any questions that you need an answer to help with your decision, go ahead and ask here.

Last edited by Rick; 10/04/2006 5:31 PM.
I'd like to have a forum where users can upload a photo. I don't see a link above to attach a file. Is that allowed? I see the "enter an image" link to a url but I'd like for an image to be uploaded directly.

Also I tried updating my profile an uploading an avatar but I get a little red x in a box even though it fits specifications of smaller than 80 x 80. Thanks,

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This particular forum doesn't have file attachments enabled. The test forum does however so you can test this feature that will allow you to upload multiple file attachments.

File attachments can be enabled on a per forum basis, so you can allow them in some and not in others.

The avatars was an incorrect path setup on my part. Should be fixed now.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10/06/2006 7:44 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I'm in Classic 6.7.2. A group of my users have been asking to be able to hide post counts (the subject can be disruptive) or to have this feature disabled entirely. I can't seem to find out if this is possible or not in 7.0. Any other info about the new user profile experience is also welcome. Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could disable the post count listing by editing the template files and deleting the appropriate line.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Thanks. Does that mean turning it off for the entire board or per profile by user preference isn't possible in 7.0?

There were some good suggestions by users about other criteria for determining titles used on other boards. Post count tends to promote spamming and "me too" posts by those who want to get a higher title quickly, or to climb to the top of the freqent poster lists. Something based on activity, for example, such as one point every day you are active, which rewards both seniority and frequency.

Limiting the number of posts per day is a more radical concept, would be interesting to see the effect on discourse. Is this possible to set?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Those aren't possible, yet wink...

You could make a modification request (or a few) at UBBDev and see if any private developer can build a couple of quick modifications for you in the meantime.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
I am thinking seriously about purchasing the product, and I read on some forum that there are problems in relation to local time synching, and would like to know if there was a way to automatically synchronize discussion board time and email date and time stamps to ur local time in relation to where your user base is in the World - baring in mind that my hosting company is also on the other side of the Globe....

thanks, Naz.

Last edited by Nas; 07/04/2008 11:24 AM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the UBB reads the time as read out by your server, and you as an admin can set your "base" offset in the CP (so if your server timezone is say EST and you wanted it to be GMT you could set that) then users can offset their accounts off of the board offset (so if you offsetted your server time to GMT, they could offset the board time to their timezone, such as PST)

N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Am i right to think that UBB lets you send emails to addresses for your entire User-base automatically after the admin has verified the post, or when a post is added to a specific sub-forum for which the entire User-base needs to be informed....

thanks, Naz

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The users would have to be subscribed to that forum to reciee notifications... Though you can mass mail users who've specified that they wish to recieve admin messages from the CP

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Hey site looks great! thanks for allowing me to be here! =)

I'm looking into your Gold package for a few of my sites, but decided I'd look around and see what people are saying first.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I am weighing my options between vBulletin and this forum. It looks like this forum looks more fun and easier to customize. Am I right to think that?

(Actually I already have a vBulletin forum but want to start a new one with another platform if it is worth the change...)

Last edited by elishevadpw; 12/30/2009 12:10 PM.
addict
addict
I think that you are right on point. I have used vBulletin before as well, and UBBthreads has a definite advantage in that it is easier to customize, support has always been outstanding by both the staff and just regular members who frequent here. I would never dream of using another type of forum media as there is so much that UBB does standard that even a cheaper costing board would end up being more expensive after you add on all the modules they want to sell separately. This is just my opinion but I think it is probably shared by many that frequent the UBB home forum.

Dunny

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
vbull 4 came out and looking at the responses over there, it's perty ugly at the moment wink

P
stranger
stranger
P Offline
If someone is offered a classic 6.7 version of UBB as a freebie bonus with another purchase, is this a legitimate version? I read somewehere that UBB was a single person license. Thanks

Get the Performance PC You Want Free.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It would have to be approved through Rick and/or groupee/infopop. Most likely it's not legit, since it hasn't been offered for sale for years now.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
They also are not transferable or reassignable.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hey, CC told me forever ago that they where giftable dag nabbit tongue

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
They also are not transferable or reassignable.

That new .sig .gif is making my eyes go funny tongue

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
adblock :ftw:

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Realistically can I run a forum without any programming experience? I would say I'm above average in my computer ability but have no experience with programming. Will I be able to work the software?

addict
addict
jjallenjj that is the beauty of these forums. They are fairly easy to maintain and keep up there are really no "special" skills necessary. Even if there is something you want to do, but don't know how, many people here will walk you through it in easy to understand ways that even my dumb butt has been able to do amazing things with my boards.

If something isn't working tech support either here or even if you have to make a support ticket (VERY rare) is usually responded to within 24 hours (or less).

Dunny

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Before I answer your specific question ponder this one. How long do you plan on running your message board? For a few years or until the internet dies? Will you make sure it gets transfered into good hand if you decide to no longer be involved? I don't think there is any point in starting a public forum without being committed to keep it going. When we started our site I don't think we could think as far ahead as now, but it's an interesting question to ask of yourself where you would like to see it go.

To answer your question, if you are fairly competent on a computer you probably could get by without programming experience. I would suggest learning how to setup a local environment on your computer using XAMPP or MAMP and doing MySQL backups and recovery, learning how to use tar, before taking your board online. Use this local environment to reassure yourself of what you are doing before you do it on your public board. I think learning command line is really crucial and there are some good screencasts over at Peepcode for a small fee to learn how to do this which are absolutely first rate.

Now, back to my aforementioned idea. If you really want to run your board for a long time I'd learn PHP. It's fun to learn and there are great resources out there. I do better with screencasts then books, and Nettuts has some great PHP articles and screencasts.
http://net.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/php/
I always suggest coming up with a few micro and macro projects to work on while you are reading a book that are outside of the examples they use for you to apply your new knowledge. You need to spend a few hours a week to stay on top of your new skills. You don't have to be pro. I can deconstruct code and make some modifications, for anything bigger I rely on an accomplished developer like Sirdude.

Sorry for the longish answer but I think these are important things to consider if you want to be successful at having a forum.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Plus, if you don't want to run your forum, or you want to have changes made to the software, there are pleny of us who offer paid services.

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Thanks for the awesome response guys, If all goes well you'll be hearing from me a lot
-James

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29