Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#236332 04/21/2010 3:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
One of my users registered with two different names for login name and screen name, like many people do. Now he wants to change them to be the same (usung the user name). UBB.threads won't let him, saying that the new screen name is already in use. I guess it reserves the name, even though he never used it as a screen name. Is there a way to force it now?


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #236333 04/21/2010 5:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
It should let them use that screen name as long as it's not in use by someone else. Have you double checked to make sure that someone else isn't already using it?

SteveS #236335 04/21/2010 5:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
If I understand this correctly.
The person has two unique login's.
user name one display name one
user name two display name two
And they are attempting to use the same display name for both.
That won't work. not with two separate accounts.
They can have the same user name as display name on one account but as soon as they login to the second account it will bark back that it is taken.
I am a little confused on why a person desires two different login's other than they want to be known as two people on a board. Now for a admin it is useful for testing permissions.


Never mind. Now that I read this again you are talking about what Rick responded to.
So it is very probably a duplicate.
So goto cp>member management and search for the name in question. I would check display and user names.
I bet you will find someone has it already.
In one or the other.

Last edited by Ruben; 04/21/2010 5:46 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #236336 04/21/2010 5:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
It isn't two separate accounts. It is one account where the login name and display name are different. Just as an example:

Login: Fred
Screen Name: Barney

The user now wants both his login and screen names to be "Fred."

I have checked and double checked for an existing screen name of "Fred."

I didn't list my version... It is 7.2.2


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #236337 04/21/2010 6:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I am using 7.5.5 and don't have a problem with this.
And I don't recall a bug fix for this since 7.2.2
In fact now that I think about it I have had the same username and display name since forever on one site. And I am talking classic.

Did you check for a user name of say "Fred"?
Maybe that is the problem.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #236341 04/21/2010 6:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Okay I tried this on v7.5.5.
Here it goes.
As a user if I try to change a display name that matches a user name of another user you get a error that it is already used.
So check for user names also besides display name.
If you go into the control panel and change same it will allow you to do that.
I think that is a bug in my opinion.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (CESEREL, Geoff, 1 invisible), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)