Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#237324 06/07/2010 10:33 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You guys have been so helpful with my UBB questions over the last couple of year so I figure I will ask a few questions concerning a new host. I have been reading all the posts about VPS Dedicated, and shared till my eyes hurt. frown

Our site is one of the top resources for First Generation Monte Carlos. http://www.firstgenmc.com We have some static content, a UBBThreads site, and a PhotoPost gallery. Our bandwidth for the last 6 months averages 25-35gb a month, our current host limits us to a 100mb database so we lose good information sometimes as we fight to keep it under the limit. We have around 2.5gb of disc space in use right now.

So my question is how big of a host do we really need? What other stats would you need to know to help pick a new host? We are currently on a shared host...

Thanks,
Ian

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Code
Forum Stats
3183 Members
35 Forums
6375 Topics
74295 Posts

Max Online: 1204 @ 03/26/08 07:16 PM 

that's a small/medium load.. i think what Rick is offering for shared hosting is the ticket, really..

you certainly don't seem to be anywhere in need of VPS yet..

i offer hosting too, but would defer to Mindraven with his extra pricing perks on licenses etc.. 2c

assumption: USA based hosting, of course
assumption: that MAX online is probably inflated with a large period between re-calcs..

Addict
Addict
Whatever you do, don't "lose good information" to keep the size of your site below limits. You have to increase the limits to fit the site. It's OK to prune some fluff, but don't prune anything even remotely meaningful.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SteveS
Whatever you do, don't "lose good information" to keep the size of your site below limits. You have to increase the limits to fit the site. It's OK to prune some fluff, but don't prune anything even remotely meaningful.

Yeah my thought exactly! But we have had too so far. I am convincing the club president to move, not to much needed smile

Ian

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sirdude
Code
Forum Stats
3183 Members
35 Forums
6375 Topics
74295 Posts

Max Online: 1204 @ 03/26/08 07:16 PM 

that's a small/medium load.. i think what Rick is offering for shared hosting is the ticket, really..

you certainly don't seem to be anywhere in need of VPS yet..

i offer hosting too, but would defer to Mindraven with his extra pricing perks on licenses etc.. 2c

assumption: USA based hosting, of course
assumption: that MAX online is probably inflated with a large period between re-calcs..

Yeah I think the max online is a little out of date. I am going to reset it and see how it goes. So we are not too small, but not too big yet smile

Ian

addict
addict
I have to agree with the above comments. Rick is offering a "steal" especially with the dedicated servers he is going to bring to the table in the near future. I myself host all of my sites on my own equipment (which does allow me a lot of latitude with settings and such) but I also understand that if it weren't for the techy types here I would not have been nearly as successful as I have been the past 3 years (since I took over an old site that was well out of date).

Dunny

Besides if you have a server or ubb issue it would still be Rick either way.
HE HE.
So you don't have to deal with the host or Rick pointing the issue to the other guy.
Then have to relay info back and forth between the two.
That is what really appeals to me.
So when I get closer to renewal I am probably going to switch to Mindraven.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
Those are my thoughts, Ruben... It would be nice to just PM Rick and tell him to fix the damned thing. He's working on a proposal for me now, in fact, for a dedicated server.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Yea, this appeals to me much better that the eve project.
That was way to expensive.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29