Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
What would cause this?
[Linked Image from i238.photobucket.com]

It is happening on both the real Monte site and my testing site...

Last edited by Iann128; 06/09/2010 1:58 AM.

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
From the looks of it, the style isn't loading, or at least a portion of it. Seems to be displaying ok now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah it was weird, the main pages would come up fine, but it was taking a long time for any post to come up and half the time they would come up like that, then if I hit refresh they would load...

Ian

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Veteran
Veteran
Looking at your site and looking at your screen shot I can explain how that can happen very easily and think I know how to prevent it in the future.

Ok, when you save a template it writes to the MySQL database and a flat file in your UBB's "styles" folder with a file name kind of like ubbthreads_stock_1218749545.css as the file name.

Now say you back up your sites folders and a day it two later make a change to your sites template, even a small one, and then save it and such and so on and totally mess up your template or something. Now you may think..... well, I will just upload my backup of that style file and wont have to figure out how to get it back the way is was. In this instance your totally wrong as every time you change and save the style the number part of the file changes as it is a date and time code and will not match the time stamp in the MySQL database. This would cause what your screen shot shows.

Other reasons that this can happen is your server had a slight hick up when saving the file in the styles folder and a mismatch of the database and file name occurs, I have seen both happen, this will cause the same exact thing to happen to your web site UBB template to appear broken.

How to prevent this from happening:

Make a backup of your templates or export them to a file using the programs export function. If you botch your style you can delete it and import the good one fixing your site template.

OR.... Rick can change how he does the thing and eliminate the use of time stamps on files like this as they are un-necessary to have file names done this way for this application making it easier to manage file names. The best way would be to have it only look to the flat file if the database is unaccessible then look at the flat file for having your site look the way it should just for the purpose of showing your viewers an error screen.

Now for how I know all about this is it happened to me as described in the first instance. It also happened to a former admin and moderators who spammed all my users to join their community in an attempt to close my community. They didn't know enough about how the program worked and crashed the template and publicly made a statement that I hacked their community or aka was messing with them.

WOW ,it is funny you said that. Because it is kinda true.
If you don't backup a custom style it will be hosed if you try to just ftp and copy the css file back up to the server.

So you need to use the export /import utility in the cp to make them work again. Not a full backup but a style export.
Then if you need to restore a site after all the uploads you need to import your style.
Kinda forgot about that quirk.
Just making a restore from a backup with say ftp does not work.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think it may have been a issue with the actual server it is on last night, as I have not made any style changes in months, and it was happening on my test site too.. Or it was my computer. If it happens again I will test from my air card in my laptop..

Ian

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29