Print Thread
Hop To
#237379 06/09/2010 8:00 AM
Addict
Addict
The options in the admin panel are:
1. MySQL Full-Text
2. UBB.threads Internal

The description says: Depending on forum size and server speed, one of these may be much faster than the other.

For someone with quite a large database at 2GB, any hints on which one would be better and why?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
FWIW, I had to go with the "internal" search option...may be a setup problem on our end, but the "full text" option never worked correctly. [our site's 3+ GB iirc]

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i've gone with Full Text, but modified the search routine to give more meaningful results.

for example, when you search on topic Subject, there is only a need to return the 1st post in that topic, rather than matching all it's replies (which by default are the same).. it makes it more relevant..

i decoupled Subject from Body, so you search on one OR the other, but NOT both.. this then makes it much more relevant..

i would recommend we at least do something along those lines for v8x

now, if you wanna (stealing it from Emmeril) kick it up a notch further, Apache Solr is the ticket (for Dedicated hosting guys).. this is blazingly fast and much better than myIsam full text.. i have that running on 2 sites..

so there are options for larger DBs, but they are mods to stock (for now)..

-- as a general rule for STOCK installs -- go with the ubb internal for small/medium and Full text for large.. that's what i recommend.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Sirdude, could you elaborate a little more on what it takes to implement Solr. Our db is about 1.5GB. I've got a product review app and want to build a widget that runs a query for all posts that mention that product, but am worried about overhead.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
I went with internal only for to be able to search for numeric strings.
Also with internal search.
I don't have to worry about mysql excluding certain words and being required to have a minimum number of characters in the search string.

I also set the search period for something like 20 years.

I did this only because that is what my members want.

But I don't have a large board to worry about the resource hit.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
Hi guys, thanks for your input.

My decision is going to be based simply on using the least server resources in this case. So with a large, 2GB+ database I understand I'd be better off with 'full text' search?

Probably.
I don't think you want to try internal then decide it is not for you and then switch back to full only because it would confuse the users when they find things such as numeric strings will not find anything anymore.

Blue Man Group
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Internal search had been working well for us. When I tried the full text search option, the results seem to differ and not sure if it due to MySQL use of the different full text search mode. However, I am not sure when it comes to the DB size, which option would be better?

What is the url to your forum.

Blue Man Group
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Originally Posted by cascadeclimbers
Sirdude, could you elaborate a little more on what it takes to implement Solr. Our db is about 1.5GB. I've got a product review app and want to build a widget that runs a query for all posts that mention that product, but am worried about overhead.

Hey Sirdude, if you have some time could you give a quick few sentences on how you implemented this? I'm reading some documentation about it now but it'd be great to hear briefly how you implemented it. Cheers.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
  • install java on your server
  • install solr
  • configure the datamodel (ubbt_POSTS, ubbt_TOPICS)
  • configure the domain it answers on. it will answer default to port 8983
  • punch a hole (optional) in your firewall for that port to test http queries and admin from your PC, then you can close it for localhost only. (i left mine open, so i can tinker with things and do admin stuff -- strong psw's :ftw:)
  • Queries take the form of http://yoursite.com/solr/?q=search&term (many other options too) Tutorial
  • cron job a couple scripts to: 1. do an incremental change update (xx Mins) 2. full update (nightly)
  • autostart the server
  • modify /scripts/dosearch.inc.php to call the server with query from the user supplied search terms, grab the json or xml returned data, format it for output

zoom zoom.. and much more accurate. it also removes the 4 letter minimum in search terms and the default skip words.. very nice!

pre-requisite is that you prolly are running your own server or at LEAST a nice hefty VPS..

that's a nutshell smile

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Thanks man! I'm on a VPS so I can do this. I've been throwing around the idea of an app that takes a product name or brand and does a search on the posts, which obviously has a high overhead if the app gets a lot of hits. This should solve a lot of our problems!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29