Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#237171 06/03/2010 7:32 PM
journeyman
journeyman
In the last year or more I have had dozens of forums free and paid. I have used SMF, Phpbb, IPB and Mybb and a few others. While those have nothing to do with the success or failure of a forum how do you decide what to base your forum on? What type of research do you do? If any.

Last edited by elijahone; 06/03/2010 7:33 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I go in and look at what features are offered in the software solution, then I look at their forums and user community.

For example, vBulletin requires you have a license to register on their support community, and to download mods; so they would be no use to me as my members/staff would be unable to post requests there for assistance or mods, etc.

UBB however allows anyone to register, has a pristine support community, friendly atmosphere, etc; so that's how I ended up with my decision way back when...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #237179 06/04/2010 5:37 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Gizmo what do you look for when starting a forum as far as subject matter for the board? I have several interests but forums abound for those interest. People say make the board unique but in many cases a lot of the popular topics have been unique to death there is not but so many ways you can make a popular subject on a forum unique. I have had dozens of forums and all have flopped and I want my approach here to be different than before.

journeyman
journeyman
I think that is a tough question to answer.

I just started a forum in Feb 2010 in an area where there are quite a few other forums. But I had been part of a community on a different board that was sold to a big corporation. For a few years I had thought about starting my own forum, because before the sale we had an absentee owner. People knew who I was, I recruited a few key people to help me get things set up and as my sounding board.
Here are my numbers from today:
508 Members
82 Forums
3588 Topics
50391 Posts

I have a nice group of members and mod group that are making things pretty good for a new forum. We are actually showing up on the first page on some searches.

I would say good content is important. Next IMHO is fostering the feel of community, people like to belong to something. Make new members feel welcome. When the forum opened to the public I started making a point if the new member posted in the Intro forum to post a Welcome, Glad to joined post. I still try to keep up with that. Once your membership grows, other members will jump on and do the same thing you are doing, make people feel welcome. I think you have to have a bit more than an interest, I think it helps if it is more of a passion.

What can you offer that the other forums don't? Is it your expertise in an area, Is it your experience in an area, Can you offer a more friendly atmosphere.

How much time are you willing to put into it to get it up and running.

Val

Addict
Addict
My board was on UBB.classic when I bought it in 2003, and it just seemed natural to move up to UBB.threads when we outgrew it. I've learned a lot from this support forum, which I only joined a few years ago.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #237294 06/06/2010 11:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Really it just varies...

When we where busy we where technical discussions leading towards gaming, but a rogue moderator purged his forums which where our most popular and we couldn't really recover after a huge infraction, search engine links where always broken, people where always tiffed, etc.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Wisc.Tiger
I think that is a tough question to answer.

I just started a forum in Feb 2010 in an area where there are quite a few other forums. But I had been part of a community on a different board that was sold to a big corporation. For a few years I had thought about starting my own forum, because before the sale we had an absentee owner. People knew who I was, I recruited a few key people to help me get things set up and as my sounding board.
Here are my numbers from today:
508 Members
82 Forums
3588 Topics
50391 Posts

I have a nice group of members and mod group that are making things pretty good for a new forum. We are actually showing up on the first page on some searches.

I would say good content is important. Next IMHO is fostering the feel of community, people like to belong to something. Make new members feel welcome. When the forum opened to the public I started making a point if the new member posted in the Intro forum to post a Welcome, Glad to joined post. I still try to keep up with that. Once your membership grows, other members will jump on and do the same thing you are doing, make people feel welcome. I think you have to have a bit more than an interest, I think it helps if it is more of a passion.

What can you offer that the other forums don't? Is it your expertise in an area, Is it your experience in an area, Can you offer a more friendly atmosphere.

How much time are you willing to put into it to get it up and running.

Val

Putting time into it to get it up and running is not a problem. Finding a niche is the problem.

Last edited by elijahone; 06/07/2010 7:23 AM.
elijahone #237299 06/07/2010 11:07 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
here's what i've found as someone who supports forums.. in other word i don't go out and make my own forums, but come in to help peeps with THEIRS..

the #1 is that the owner (and staff too, but mostly owner) needs to have both a passion for and a keen understanding of the main forums thrust..

if the forum is all about fishing, the member #2 admin should be a passionate fisherman

if it's all about german shepherds, then be an owner of one and know all the ins/outs..

lawnmower equipment

hunting / trapping

camping

simulations / gameplay

etc etc...

each 'niche' or subject needs to be something you know a lot about and are passionate about...

This attitude spills over into the forums.. the new members will sense that... it builds from there..

But to just pick a 'nice subject' and hope it takes off because it's unique won't work if you aren't totally into it..

The effects are synergistic from that point on, from what i've seen... you find a handful of very good members who become part of the staff and let the forum slowly grow from there..

SD #237314 06/07/2010 4:27 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I see what your saying SD and it makes sense when you stop and think about it. But I really don't have anything I am expert on.

Just like any business. You need to develop a business case.
You need to decide what niche you want to fill and how you will go about filling that niche.
I don't think you really need to be a expert per say in the beginning. But it should be something that you have a interest in.
Otherwise you will just get bored to death and not invest the time needed to promote your site.

And who says it has to be a forum. It could be anything.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #237317 06/07/2010 4:48 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Yeah I know. But I prefer forums I enjoy them...creating them is the problem.

Then you need to sit down and develop a business case.
And how to go about it.
You may fail several times but one day you will have something that works if you keep working on it.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #237320 06/07/2010 7:21 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Ruben this is going to sound like a stupid question friend but what is a "business case?"

If you have ever had to go to the bank for a business loan. They will usually ask you for one.
It is really nothing more than.
Developing a plan to build your business.
What is your business all about.
What is your product.
What is the targeted customer.
Marketing.
Budget.
Goals.

Just google "how to build a business case"

Building a successful forum site is just like starting a business.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #237352 06/08/2010 2:49 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
aka "business plan" to some smile

SD #237363 06/08/2010 3:44 PM
Addict
Addict
Of course, some of us just winged it for fun and it developed from there!

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #237367 06/08/2010 4:30 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i'd wager a guess that MOST of us winged it laugh

SD #237369 06/08/2010 4:37 PM
Well me too. But he wanted to know what to do to make a successful site, with past failed sites.

I think most of us will agree, today you no longer have the luxury to just add a forum site and everyone will visit.
You have to have something that provides a interest.

Blue Man Group
SD #237370 06/08/2010 6:29 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sirdude
aka "business plan" to some smile

Thats what I was assuming he mean't just wanted to be sure is all.

journeyman
journeyman
Are we allowed to sell our license? Just considering it is all.

Last edited by elijahone; 06/25/2010 8:21 PM.
No, you can't sell per the license agreement.

3. License Restrictions. You may not: (a) reproduce or distribute all or any portion of the Software to any third party; (b) remove any proprietary notices from the Software or any copy thereof; (c) sell, assign, rent, transfer, distribute, act as a service bureau, or grant rights in the Software to any other person; (d) export or re-export the Software in violation of U.S. export laws; or (e) use the Software in violation of any applicable law, regulation or ordinance. Further, You may not use the Software or any related services to develop, generate, transmit or store information that: (i) infringes any third party's intellectual property or other proprietary right; or (ii) is illegal.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #237617 06/26/2010 4:43 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Answers that question. Thanks Ruben....guess I will have to come up with something to use it for.....what I don't know...

Well I just copied from the license agreement but you can always ask Rick directly.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #237623 06/26/2010 4:55 PM
journeyman
journeyman
No I trust you no reason not too...I guess I have gotten a little frustrated.............not with the software with myself..

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We've had people sell their license before. The problem comes when they sell their license but continue to use the software for themselves as well, so it's normally just something we handle individually.

Rick #237629 06/26/2010 7:29 PM
journeyman
journeyman
No problem. I would not sell it anyway I spent to long saving every scrap of change I could to buy it. Besides I have used others like SMF, Phpbb and IPB and was just never happy with those. Just having never used UBB I think I get frustrated with it at times but who don't right?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by elijahone
No problem. I would not sell it anyway I spent to long saving every scrap of change I could to buy it. Besides I have used others like SMF, Phpbb and IPB and was just never happy with those. Just having never used UBB I think I get frustrated with it at times but who don't right?

LOL I know I have had my share of OH SH**** in my time with it.. However, I can honestly say that in 10 years of using threads until the switch to 7.* I can say that between these forums and Rick, I have never had to look far for my questions (even learned a few tricks in the process).

Dunny

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29