Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#238707 08/17/2010 1:22 PM
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I am considering both Eve Community and UBB hosting for my future forum. So I need some...hmh arguments why UBB is the best forum software and hosting smile.

Eleeist #238708 08/17/2010 1:28 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm not very familiar with the Eve Community platform, but I know someone who is, so hold tight. I can however answer any specific questions you might have related to UBB.

Rick #238710 08/17/2010 1:35 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
UBB, hands down smile

Rick #238712 08/17/2010 1:55 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
UBB and Eve are very different products. I happen to really like both, so I'll try to take a stab at this for you.

With UBB, hosted by Mindraven, you get Full web hosting, with Member Area access for a UBB. UBB is a great product that includes calendaring, gallery, portal page, and much more. It's customizable and very modifiable. It comes with great support and a close knit community that knows it well. The guy that owns the company is actually here listening to you. The downside, is the same as with any downloadable. You have to download and install or maintain it. Mindraven offers these services at additional fees. That's pretty industry standard and the fees are more than reasonable or competitive. I'm continually telling Rick that he's too inexpensive wink

Eve is very different than UBB. It's built to be tremendously scalable and stable. You don't download or install it, it comes all setup. You never have to do updates, that is all taken care of for you. If you know CSS really well you can do amazing stuff with it in terms of look and feel, but as you don't get the code you cannot modify features. It also doesn't come with web hosting of any sort, so keep that in mind. Pricing is competitive, starting very inexpensively. As with UBB the guy that owns the company is working on it and available to listen/help/talk to.

Both offer photo galleries and premium memberships and great support and stability and a full long list of features. Both are terrific options. You just need to know what your actual needs are and chose the one that fits best.

You need to determine your needs and go from there.

Do you need full featured hosting?
Do you desire the ability to have threaded and linear discussions?
Do you mind installing it and doing updates?
Is modifying the code important?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Eleeist #238818 08/21/2010 7:14 AM
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Here's my vote for UBB.

I'd rather be an owner than a renter.

But, yes, both are VERY good products. EVE has some really big corporate customers that rely on the www.socialstrata.com network. In fact, I have a paid blogging account over there. Management is easy to find to address any of your concerns, same as here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29