Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
Ok, maybe I'm still missing something. I just used the "Like" button on my site, and while it did post to my wall, it seems to be only visible if you click on my Profile link and not on the "News Feed" page. Is this correct, and if so, can it be changed so it does show on the new feed?

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It shows, but it lists it under your Recent Activity, not as your current status. Don't think there is any way to change that, that I've seen anyways.

addict
addict
Hmmm, because it's not going to be seen unless someone checks the profile section. Just trying to find ways to easily get my site and in the near future SITES more exposure via that link, which is still awesome.

Tombstone, AZ
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
(Almost dumb question, but I have to ask.)

Are all other forums tweets supposed to come to us via @Mindraven?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Have you filled in your Twitter Account on the control panel preferences? It should come up as via @yourtwitteraccount

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Like this:

TruckersRoad

More Rain - THE RV LOVERS HOME theluvhut.com/ubb/ubbthreads… via @mindraven 26 minutes ago via Tweet Button

* Retweet

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If it's coming up like that, that means the twitter account hasn't been filled in so it uses the default (mindraven instead of via @twitterapi).

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
We'll have to fill Greg in on that. I won't be able to upgrade until Monday morning.

old hand
old hand
ok, so how do you turn the facebook and tweeter thing on?

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Why do i need to put my `Your Twitter Account` name in the Topic Display Options ?

addict
addict
When I enter the name of my site, The RV Lovers Home, all Twitter is picking up on is the first word, which doesn't go to my site at all. The link does, but not the site name.

Tombstone, AZ
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stan
ok, so how do you turn the facebook and tweeter thing on?

so it is just where you said it was, how tricky smile

Note, that both the facebook and tweet buttons are disabled by default. You can turn them on in the control panel under Display Options -> General -> Topic Display Options.

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
addict
addict
Ok, I know the problem. My twitter account is for another web site and while this posts to that twitter account it won't render the correct site name/url even though the link is correct. Have to look into a different twitter account for this web site. However, it will work great with my other site when I convert.

Tombstone, AZ
Originally Posted by GEN
Why do i need to put my `Your Twitter Account` name in the Topic Display Options ?

Scratch the above...question already answered.

Originally Posted by GEN

So you can see how many people are tweeting topics and so it also follows the accepted standard etiquette for retweeting.

As an aside, I wouldn't use your personal twitter account for this. Create a twitter account specifically for your site/forum. And better yet, use this new account to tweet all new topics (create a RSS feed fand import it into Google Feedburner so you may use their tweet new posts option.) Shooting the new topics into twitter has helped me generate a lot more traffic and many new users since I started doing this early this year.

Example: http://twitter.com/bowlingfans

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yes, i HIGHLY recommend using Feedburner for feeds as well..

this allows you to track all kinds of stats too in google..

you can even add adverts to the feeds as well.. wink

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Please update the version on the UBBCentral homepage.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Just "tweeted"/"FaceBooked" a status and noticed that the URL being used isn't the URL type I've selected in the CP...

It's using the old/non se friendly urls; for the sake of conformity, it should follow what we've selected we want to use, no?

URL Being Linked: http://www.undergroundnews.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51604
URL Being Linked From: http://www.undergroundnews.com/foru...rum%20Upgrade%20-%207.5.6.html#Post51604

Also, the coding thrown into the files should follow the same coding conventions, ie using two tabs vs random spacing, etc; the twitter/fb code just looks like it was quickly thrown together...

Would also like to see the ability (with FaceBook) to:
Choose Light/Dark
Choose to show Pictures vs Links (see here for example)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by usrbingeek
Originally Posted by GEN

So you can see how many people are tweeting topics and so it also follows the accepted standard etiquette for retweeting.

As an aside, I wouldn't use your personal twitter account for this. Create a twitter account specifically for your site/forum. And better yet, use this new account to tweet all new topics (create a RSS feed fand import it into Google Feedburner so you may use their tweet new posts option.) Shooting the new topics into twitter has helped me generate a lot more traffic and many new users since I started doing this early this year.

Example: http://twitter.com/bowlingfans
I don't wanna get too far off topic here, but how much control is there with Feedburner? Ie, can you specify a Tweet go to a specific forum, or even a specific thread? And am I assuming correctly, that any new Tweet simply starts it's own new thread?

I already have my FB/Twitter accounts sync'd, and have them setup using RSS Graffiti to cross post each other, but integrating our forum would be sweet!

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've been using twitterfeed.com to post to my fb/twitter accounts from the rss feed from our news forum.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by Chevy454
I don't wanna get too far off topic here, but how much control is there with Feedburner? Ie, can you specify a Tweet go to a specific forum, or even a specific thread? And am I assuming correctly, that any new Tweet simply starts it's own new thread?

It doesn't create topics on your forum. You use your RSS feeds and Feedburner (or other similar services) to promote new topics (and/or replies) on Twitter.

The added plus with using Feedburner is it will help get the new posts indexed in Google much faster and also show up in google's twitter search results.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Upgrade my testing site from 7.5.5 to 7.5.6 worked great. I will be upgrading the real site after the move is complete. Great job Rick and company!

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by usrbingeek

It doesn't create topics on your forum. You use your RSS feeds and Feedburner (or other similar services) to promote new topics (and/or replies) on Twitter.

The added plus with using Feedburner is it will help get the new posts indexed in Google much faster and also show up in google's twitter search results.
Ahhh, I see! I had it backwards (unfortunately!)...I do the same thing manually now, never thought of automating it.

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is an RSS Content Creator over at UBBDev, I use it on UGN to syndicate news from CNN's Tech pages.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
There is an RSS Content Creator over at UBBDev, I use it on UGN to syndicate news from CNN's Tech pages.
I took a peek...very interesting! Something else for me to find a use for! LOL!!

Question, though: is there a *tidy* way to post RSS info-->my forum, in a specific thread?

E.g., we have a big car show/event coming up... using my smartphone while at the event I had planned on posting info/pictures to our club's Twitter account, which will bounce it to our club's Facebook page also via RSS...it would be slick if the "RSS creator" could simply add it to an ongoing thread. Am I asking too much?

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Question, though: is there a *tidy* way to post RSS info-->my forum, in a specific thread?
Well, the rss content creator takes an RSS/xml feed and posts the description as the content and the title as the subject

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, the rss content creator takes an RSS/xml feed and posts the description as the content and the title as the subject
I should have said "RSS info-->my forum, into a continuous thread"...that is, all my Tweets from the "Supercar Reunion 13" go into a single "Supercar Reunion 13" thread.

I can't think of a way this could possibly work, because it has no way to pull the current thread info from you site for you to select...????

Easiest way would be to just throw up a temporary sub-forum and setup the RSS info from there.

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
7.5.6 is working well for me.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Is there an easy way to remove the Twitter and Facebook share buttons on private, members only forums that aren't for public consumption?

here is a question from a user. it might be answered already, if so, can one kind person clue me in? i am not a facebook expert... gracias...

How come the facebook link only has like and not share?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Harold
Is there an easy way to remove the Twitter and Facebook share buttons on private, members only forums that aren't for public consumption?
Not via stock code

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by mcasado

Because it's what the API allowed at the time I guess

does that mean we can do it later maybe? or is this API more related to what facebook allows than what UBB can be programmed to do?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
a share button and a like button are very similar API wise.. so you could either modify the tpl to have both or swap in the sharer.php instead

2c

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
The '0' box next to the Tweet button...

I'm assuming it should increment with each Tweet?
(Mine doesn't.)

I have entered my account name into the admin panel.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by driv
The '0' box next to the Tweet button...

I'm assuming it should increment with each Tweet?
(Mine doesn't.)

I have entered my account name into the admin panel.
Something I noticed and had to change when setting it up yesterday: leave off the "@" from your account name...I entered mine as "@yenkoclub", and noticed that it was going through as "@@yenkoclub". Probably pretty obvious to most, but it took my typical 2 tries to get it...with that said, my Tweet counter isn't changing either.

Last edited by Chevy454; 08/24/2010 10:50 AM.

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
hmmm - I don't have an @ symbol there.
Mine is in the format XXXX_XXXXXX

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by mcasado
here is a question from a user. it might be answered already, if so, can one kind person clue me in? i am not a facebook expert... gracias...

This statement found on Facebook Developer might have something to do with it:

We don't recommend the Share button for new developers. If you aren't already using the Share button, we recommend you use the Like button and Open Graph protocol instead of Share for sharing pages from your website. The Like button is simpler to user and is the recommended solution moving forward.

Like when FB dropped the "Fan" button, it looks like they're moving everything over to "Like"...

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by driv
hmmm - I don't have an @ symbol there.
Mine is in the format XXXX_XXXXXX
Eg. I just hit the "Tweet" button on a thread on my forum...the "Share this" box pops up, and it displays:

Gobi Yenko Deuce finds its way to EBaY - The Supercar Registry Bulletin Board http://t.co/qRFBGHk via @yenkoclub

When I entered my account name as "@yenkoclub" in the CP it added an extra @ to the share box info [@@yenkoclub].

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Yeah, I'm with you. Mine does the same - but the '0' box just doesn't reflect the number of tweets frown

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29