Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mig
M Offline
On V7.5.4.2, is there a way to prevent members from copying other member's photos that are posted within a photo gallery? Hoping to prevent 'right-click / save image as', not board-wide but just from one photo gallery.

For context: ours is a disease support board and we are preparing to launch a photo gallery as private, moderated forum (hidden from guests and available only to a user group of members with a post count >150). The gallery's purpose is to be a place for members to share photos of their disease progression, so the topic is of a sensitive nature.

So I ask this not over a concern about copyrights infringement but from a desire to provide some basic or reasonable measures to protect our members personal health info from unlikely but potential misuse. We've had one unfortunate instance of a disgruntled member (banned long ago) recently posting to a Yahoo Group, avatars taken from our site.

And (wishful thinking here) is there a simple way to hide the dimensions, size and UBBCode fields from displaying in the same gallery?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!
mig

There are some scripts out there that will inhibit the right click save as but it is hit or miss depending on the browser used.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Veteran
Veteran
You can make it difficult for some one to copy an image off a web site but ultimately if they can see it they can copy it from the web site or page.

As far as the dimensions and UBBCode stuff you can just edit the template and make those fields hidden and they will not appear on the page.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
There is a simple way to hide all the ubbcode stuff and dimensions.

matter of fact, i do that for all of the galleries on my forums. peeps don't use that (normally) on those forums, so a quickie mod to the template, just doesn't display the IMG tag stuff..

and Ruben is right about the right click disable.. you can do it perty simply in javascript, but anyone who actually SEES the image in their browser has already downloaded it.. so they (if they aren't a n00b) can really steal any / all of your photos. (example of what one site does for right click Here -- try right click save as and you will see what they suggest as a filename wink )

you CAN prevent what is called 'hot linking' very easily in your .htaccess file, so that any other website trying to link to your images won't work... you can even have the .htaccess file specify a replacement like 'HEY DON'T HOTLINK!' kinda image.. or whatevs..

but to completely LOCK it down is impossible against knowledgeable surfers smile

ugh: Jaisp beat me to the punch laugh

Veteran
Veteran
LOL@Sirdude. That be a first fer me, hehehhe.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, those anti right click things suck, they more annoy people than anything else...

And they can all be defeated... left click and hold down button, hit space bar to ignore warning, let go of right left button; drag image to the address bar and let go; look through your browser cache, etc...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
mig
M Offline
Ahhh, so I have just clearly proven what a nOOb I am then! LOL Rats.

Ok, so at least there should be no expectation on the part of our members that this should be done.. although I might've been happy to annoy people with an anti right click thing, (or something like Sirdude's example - err, well maybe not THAT one! wink ) but since it's unlikely to work in all browsers then it's not worth the bother I guess.

As for the tip re: hiding fields by editing the template, thank you!, I will pass this along to our webmaster, who is thankfully not a nOOb like moi. And Gizmo - thanks for the tips on 'how to' be a proper thief..!

Very generous, all your replies and for taking the time -- thank you!!
mig

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My favorite anti right click just ignores the click, doesn't do any popup at all; it's kind of amusing 'cas with my wireless mouse I just assume the battery is dying

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
'cas with my wireless mouse I just assume the battery is dying

HAHAHAHAHA

M
mig
M Offline
Oh that's a perfect one [Linked Image] - I want it! lol

Way above my skill-set to find and put in tho. Ah well.

stranger
stranger
Hi,
The ultimate way of copying an image is simple - do a screengrab (Ctrl+PrtSc on my Vaio) open an art package click paste and hey presto - you have it. Not Hi-Res, but you have the image.

Best way is to limit access to registered users only - and UBB can do that for you; obviously.

Kind Regards,

MuddyD

MuddyD - aka Dee@RPD!
T
tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
Hi Sirdude. Is the template you edit gallerylist.tpl?
What would the tweak be as I couldn't figure that out?
I'm sure it's as you say, straight forward, but knowing it is another story.
Thanks!
Timo

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
templates/default/post_gallery.tpl wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29