Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#239668 09/25/2010 11:38 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So I wiped Windows off the Acer netbook I have and installed the Netbook edition of Ubuntu 10.04 on it and love it. I even got my Air Card to work! I have been a Ubuntu user off and on for years. It runs great on the little screen. I can't wait for the new version coming out in October. Anyone else running it?

I have not made the switch to full time Linux on my main machine yet, but it is getting close smile

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I switched to full time ubuntu about 2-3 years ago. Have virtualbox with xp for the rare occasions I need it. I am running ubuntu 10.04 on an m17x laptop and possibly gona install beta 10.10. Been wanting to do it for a while now but been busy and now real close to release day I may wait.

addict
addict
Put Ubuntu on my laptop and finally, after a week of frustration deleted it and kept Windows7. Never was able to get my Verizon MiFi card to work under it. Windows, no problem.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I downloaded 10.10 Netbook but it would not install from the USB drive, so I did 10.04 for now. I think I will wait till the 10th to do the dist upgrade... I have another spare machine that I may put 10.10 beta on this weekend. I am running Fedora on a machine running Amahi Home Media Server on to do backups of the rest of the computers in the house and stream media.

Ian

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GregK
Put Ubuntu on my laptop and finally, after a week of frustration deleted it and kept Windows7. Never was able to get my Verizon MiFi card to work under it. Windows, no problem.

Isn't that just a wifi hot spot, or is a card for a single pc?

Found this for making it work http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308896

Ian

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Ive learned, if possible when doing a new install of ubuntu connect via internet and all your hardware will be detected. Many people say they can find the drivers under restricted hardware after an install. Connecting ethernet fixes that cause now it installs driver's packages for your hardware so you can select it in restricted drivers. If you dont you should find the drives laying low on the cd in /pool/restricted/ I believe. I know I did that once before.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Notebook Remix looked awesome, i was going to install but the ex wife took off with my netbook; never got a new one lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Iann128
Originally Posted by GregK

Isn't that just a wifi hot spot, or is a card for a single pc?

Found this for making it work http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308896

Went to that forum, tried their fixes and still nothing. The card is a wifi hotspot for 5 connections. All in all, it was far too much trouble when Windows 7 found it and setup with no problem. Oh, Ubuntu did see the card, but nothing I did would let it connect. More trouble than I need right now.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 476 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29