Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#240190 11/05/2010 10:01 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
The 7.5.6 'tweet me' feature has opened up a can-o-worms with a couple of the tech-savy users on my forums.

They were wondering whether it was possible to set up a facility to auto tweet to a designated twitter account when a new posting, or a reply, was made to specific forums.

I'm not sure where i would start with this. I have a twitter account that i use for my board, which i normally use to announce downtime etc, especially if we get unexpected outages etc.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Barry

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 207
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 207
Do a google search for 'php twitter' and you will find some info including on the twitter api. This seems inline with what you are wanting to do.

http://www.webmaster-source.com/2009/04/05/post-to-twitter-from-a-php-script/

Just remember you will want to sanitize the output, and to post to individual accounts per forum would require a bit more work retrieving the forum number and a switch statement.

Good luck!


Won't you take me to Funkytown?
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
www.twitterfeed.com parses your RSS feeds and can post to Twitter, FaceBook, etc


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
I'll have a play with the twitterfeed thing first.

Thanks both for the links

Regards

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by Gizmo
www.twitterfeed.com parses your RSS feeds and can post to Twitter, FaceBook, etc

Cheers Gizmo for the tip.

This works like a charm, and none of that faffing around with Twitters OAuth API business smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
NP; I use it to feed news from my forums to twitter/fb


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Rick Gardner), 283 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)