Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
I have 2 out of my newest 20 trainees tell me they can't register in the forums. In both cases they put in the birthdate and it starts sending them in loops. They tried clearing their cookies and rebooting their machine. We have other users registering so it's not a global issue. Any ideas?

While researching this I looked in my sessions directory and there are recent files in there - but also a bunch from 2007. Can I just delete those 2007 ones?


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
I just tried it, and had the problem as described. This laptop is running IE8, but I can try a couple of other computers and browsers later.


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Same thing on my regular computer with Firefox. Maybe I'm just too old.

The problem actually comes up AFTER the birthdate. It goes on to the next step, where one clicks to accept the board rules. Then it goes back to the birthdate.


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
OK. Now it let me move on to the next step.


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Usually this is due to an incorrect permission on the sessions directory. Check the permissions on that directory, and also check to make sure that there are files being created within.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Guess I need to read a bit more. If you have old ones in there, it could be that they are not being periodically purged and causing issues. I'd actually just remove all of the files and then make sure they are getting recreated and then check if that fixes the issue.

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 755
Likes: 1
I had this problem for a while, had to manually delete the files in the sessions folder periodically, but the server seems to be cleaning itself correctly now and I haven't had any issues.


"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
OK I have 4,812 files in there and 1,720 of them are from 2007, the rest are from "right now".

I just backed up and deleted the 2007 files. Now I have 3207 files left, all with times within the past hour or so.

I'll note I have both an index.htm and an index.html - is that normal? The index.htm is dated 2007.

So are you thinking I really should delete these sessions that are active?


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
I waited until now and just deleted all the session files. Should I delete that old index.htm file too?


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Leave the index.htm file in there. It sounds like maybe your server isn't purging the session files automatically. Since you cleaned them all out, I'd keep an eye on it and see if the get cleaned up now.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
I just checked - right now there are 5,036 objects in the sessions directory with the oldest one at 3:40pm and the newest at 5:16pm (i.e. right now). I cleared out the files at 6:30am so the system is definitely cleaning up files in general. It seems to leave around files for about 1.5 hrs. Is that what it's meant to do?

This is what it was doing before too.


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Well the session files are just that. So depending on how busy your site is depends on how many session files you may have at one point.
The issue is if you see very old file date stamps on them.

But I guess the real question is by clearing the session files did it correct your problem?


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
To reiterate what Ruben said:
When you access your site and login a session file is created, it'll linger around until the server purges it at whatever interval PHP is configured to remove it.

These files won't immediately delete themselves, they're not meant to, they will be around for a while to house information about the session.

If you'd like to read about them I'd suggest looking at the PHP Manual: Sessions


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
Right I guess my point is that what it's doing now is what it's always been doing as far as I can tell. I will check again with my editors but it doesn't seem like it fixed anything.


Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Lisa. If you're still having the same problem with people unable to register, go ahead and open up a support ticket and we can check into it to see what's going on.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)