Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#241090 01/12/2011 6:58 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm a member on ski and boating site that is using vB and were getting hammered with spam. It seems the reCAPTCHA has been completely defeated.

My question is, for v8 are you looking at the future when with concern about spam prevention?

Are there new technologies for fighting spam that you are considering for v8?

-Tim
Cuervo #241091 01/12/2011 8:00 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, there is one thing people usually overlook when "spam" is concerned... And that's that companies hire people to spam in most cases; so a human is capable of defeating a signup and posting whatever they have to.

In this method, it doesn't matter what your security precaution is, a human can still break through a captcha, as that's what it's meant for.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #241118 01/13/2011 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, there is one thing people usually overlook when "spam" is concerned... And that's that companies hire people to spam in most cases; so a human is capable of defeating a signup and posting whatever they have to.

In this method, it doesn't matter what your security precaution is, a human can still break through a captcha, as that's what it's meant for.

Yeah, but when dealing with low of a volume it's not too much of an issue. When the bot net gets running it's like 300 users a day.

What seems to have help is using a human verification sytem of question and answers.

IE:

Q: What is the second to last word in this sentence, prostar 197?
A: prostar

With this methode it seems you could pretty much ensure, for the time being, that only ATK humans would get in.

-Tim
Cuervo #241175 01/16/2011 10:46 AM
R
R Offline
What we do behind the scenes is look up every single IP address and compare it to stopforumspam.com's database. I am in high hopes that Rick will include the ability to do so automatically in Version 8. I have no idea if vB does this or not.

We also take the time to report spammers to their ISP and Hosting service. We block the IP address and in some cases, the IP range if we do not get cooperation from those places. Then, going a step farther, we look up what the spammer is selling.

In the latest case, it was an email address harvesting site that is Marriage-License.com. We then reported that site to its own web hosting location.

I was active in the early days of Usenet and continued until its demise at the hands of spammers. The reason for the demise of Usenet was spamming and spamming existed because institutions, such as Internet Service Providers and those who hosted the backbone of Usenet provision did little or nothing in most cases to stop spam.

In many ways, forums are simply an interaction scheme much like many parts of Usenet. Since the invention of spamming by those two Lawyers in Arizona, there has been war between spammers and those who would maintain the integrity of their forums or Usenet group.

Captcha is one of the means for fighting spam. Captcha does not work if a low cost human is hired, for example from India, where our own latest spamming has originated to defeat Captcha. Thus we must fall back on sites such as stopforumspam.com to help us in the fight.

If a given piece of forum software can plug into the database, just one forum so backstopped, can report a spam IP address to the contol site and thereafter, all attempts to use that IP address or address range is thereby defeated by everyone who uses that forum software and updates their version.

Works for me.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Last edited by razor_head; 01/16/2011 10:48 AM.
Cuervo #241212 01/16/2011 11:13 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, I'm just hoping that v8 will have a few different options to try and curve the spam flow.

CAPTCHA
Question and answer
Checking a know site that host known spam IPs

Is a great start.

-Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 802 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29