Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#242039 03/03/2011 2:26 PM
C
C Offline
I have a subscriber area and I have recently come to notice that a couple of the users are sharing a username for the subscriber area. Is there a way to block certain IP Addresses from just the subscriber area? If not it would be a feature that would help me. Hopefully this makes sense. Trying to figure out a better way to tighten up people finding a free way to view my subscriber area.

Capt. Clay C
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Really your Terms of Service should cover "sharing" logins, let alone sharing them to access members only/premium content... I'd start by emailing the account owner and specify that this is his only warning about sharing account information and that if they continue being in violation of your Terms of Service that their account (or premium) access will be terminated.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
*nods* with Gizmo's idea. I would say set up a TOS and make it clear that "sharing" your info compromises the security of the forum and will be dealt with by terminating the primary account regardless of status. This will not end the practice, however, it will at least curb it a bit for you. You will have to be active in policing this, at least until people get the idea you are serious.

Dunny

R
R Offline
Originally Posted by Capt. Clay C
I have a subscriber area and I have recently come to notice that a couple of the users are sharing a username for the subscriber area. Is there a way to block certain IP Addresses from just the subscriber area? If not it would be a feature that would help me. Hopefully this makes sense. Trying to figure out a better way to tighten up people finding a free way to view my subscriber area.

It is pretty simple to do by account ID. Simply set up the subscriber area as a group under the group editor function. Then you can decide who is allowed and who isn't. You can set up a penalty box to stuff people in who break the rules and decide what you will and will not allow them to do. Once it is set up, it is a matter of checking or unchecking a box in the member permissions.

Larry

C
C Offline
Thanks guys. I do have a TOS so I guess I just need to stand firm and not look for other ways around it.

Capt. Clay C

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 446 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29