Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#242101 03/07/2011 1:15 AM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 180
T
member
member
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 180
Hello everyone,

I'm just learning about RSS feeds now. I've found very little information about how to use them.

I understand they were once very useful in attracting more web traffic. But are they now largely a thing of the past? replaced by sitemaps?

Is there somewhere else i should go to research them?

thanks

(And please pardon my ignorace if this is not an appropriate question.)

tacks #242102 03/07/2011 4:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Generally a sitemap contains every element on your site (usually without content provided), whereas an RSS feed would include the "latest" items (generally with content shown).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
tacks #242103 03/07/2011 8:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 137
I find the RSS feed feature very useful - I have them feeding into my site's twitter account to provide periodic updates as to what is happening.

Conversely i am not sure what use a sitemap is to me. Now that is something i'd like explaining...

tacks #242105 03/07/2011 2:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
A sitemap would generally be used to feed content to a search engine (or any other utility needing to crawl your content); I have a writeup about it on the UBB.Sitemaps page.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (CESEREL, Geoff, 1 invisible), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)