Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
My forum has been up and running for a year with hardly any problems. Suddenly, my users are complaing that they can't use the photo gallery - all the pictures just are red Xs. I tried it out, and yep - the gallery is broken.

I don't see any settings out of whack in the control panel. The permission tests all come back fine. However, there are quite a few places where I can't update the settings. For example, if I change the order of things in the portal and save changes, the changes don't show up. On some screens the changes will update, but on others I can't get changes to update no matter what I do.

I am guessing that the two problems are related. Even though permissions seem to be fine, it appears that changes and perhaps the gallery images aren't being written - sans errors.

Any thoughts here? Perhaps my database is corrupt? Any way to do a 'compart and repair'?

Thank you,
Evan

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I'm still looking for help here.
My forum seems to be breaking more each day... frown

Here's part of my problem:

In the Control Panel, no matter what changes I make under the "Feature Settings" section, nothing sticks when I press the update button. When I click the update button it says "Feature Settings have been updated. Please wait...". Then when the page reloads, none of my changes are there - everything is stuck on the same settings. The same applies to my "Portal Layout" section. Nothing will change. This isn't the case everywhere though. I can change "Primary Settings" and "Display Options: General". There seems to be no logic to which areas I can and can't edit.

I'm not sure if this is the problem or just a sympton, but something is wrong with my forum, and I really need help!

Thank you,
Evan

addict
addict
Have you checked permissions in the CP to ensure that there are no failed permissions. Seems to me the only thing that would cause things not to save would be no write privs to the file. That is just a dumb person's perspective but I have forgotten to set permissions for a file before and had similar problems.

Also, are you doing this from FTP or from CP?

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I am doing this from the CP. I have gone over the permissions - everything is a green light. Now, the problems are getting worse. I can no longer access the forum. This is the error I get now:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/hermes/bosweb/web055/b553/ipg.campinnforumcom/ubbthreads/libs/functions_forums.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php-5.2.17/lib/php') in /hermes/bosweb25b/b553/ipg.campinnforumcom/ubbthreads/scripts/cfrm.inc.php on line 50

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the big question would be, is this the path to your ubb install:
/hermes/bosweb25b/b553/ipg.campinnforumcom/ubbthreads/

If no, you'll want to edit your config file manually to reflect the actual path.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
/hermes/bosweb/web055/b553/ipg.campinnforumcom/ubbthreads

This is the absolute path - and it has been that way for a year. I have no idea why it is having a problem now.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Gizmo, thank you for the help. Since I didn't have a clue what was wrong, you pointed me in the right direction.

I doublechecked my hosts settings and found that the actual path had been CHANGED to:
/home/users/web/b553/ipg.campinnforumcom

Why in the world would my host switch this without any notification? I wonder if this is a common thing to happen...?

Anyways, once I punched in the new paths everything started working again.

Another thing I don't understand is why my forum seemed to 'gradually break' over the course of 3 days. Everything is working now that I've got the paths sorted, but I'll list some of the symptoms here in case they help someone else...

First little things started to quit working - like user's couldn't post to the photo gallery. Then user's couldn't post new avatars. Then, "who's online" froze along with all other forum stats. Then, half of the control panel quit updating - nothing I changed would stick - while the other half of the control panel continued to respond normally. It seemed to be random - which areas of the control panel were affected. Then, outside links to the forum began breaking - depending on how complete the text of the link was. Last of all, the entire forum shut down, giving a fatal error. The only thing left working was parts of the control panel.

After spending two frustrating nights trying to get it all working, you can bet that my host is going to hear from me!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Maybe they moved you to another server? Generally they should alert you to changes that could effect your stay on their servers though...

The posting to gallery and other things could be due to the paths being wrong on your server, since photos get stored in the directories on your webspace and all that...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
OK - all systems are now normal - except, everybody is stuck on page one in all forums. Clicking on the 2,3,4,5 buttons does nothing.

Any ideas?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29