Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#242659 04/19/2011 1:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
I figured I'd tap the minds of UBB brethren for this one.

My old Gateway (running XP) is really acting up and needs to be retired.

I have a nice, new ViewSonic monitor, so time to pair it with a decent desktop.

I know there is no one answer to this question, and everyone's needs are different, but what new desktops are some of you guys liking?

Thought it would be good to get a discussion going to help anyone else in the market.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Lately it's been cheaper to buy pc's than build them; I've been rolling on a dell XPS 420 (Quad Core, 4GB Ram).

I was actually at dell's website the other day comparing their offerings to building a pc from Newegg's catalog and still found them cheaper for a desktop (was looking at the XPS and Mini lines, they offer up to a 6 core processor and up to 12gb ram).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Except for the vista option at the time I chose the xps-420 with 8GB ram and I am still extremely pleased with it. That was about three years ago. Or whenever they came out.
Don't like vista to much, I am pro xp pro.

Right now I am looking at the sony 24" all in one unit. For a replacement for my home built 800mhz desktop.
Sleek small footprint with about everything you would want in a desktop at a very competitive price.
It has windows 7 which I have no exposure to.
So far the only draw back I see is every device is integrated to the board except for the hard drive and the optical drive.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'd go Win7, even over XP... Think of it as XP with the ability to utilize newer hardware (afterall, disable all of the eyecandy and that's ultimately what it is resource wise).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
I never moved to Vista, so with Windows 7 out, I figure now is finally the time.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
Addict
Addict
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 522
I was sold on Windows 7 when I had to install the printers for my new dell laptop! I never tried Vista, though.


Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
enthusiast
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 262
I love my Dells. I am running a couple year old Inspiron 530. It came with Vista but now runs Ubuntu 10.10 I also had Windows 7 on it for a while and it ran good. My home storage server is running on a old dell Optiplex G280 that I got from my old job for $20 and it was still under dell warranty smile


Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
what's your budget?

i just built mine based upon the new Sandy Bridge chipset:

i7 2600K CPU with all the bells / whistles (Blu ray burner, SSDs, 16gb ram, water cooling) for about $2K

it literally screams, with the vertex 3 SSD as my boot drive ( no moving parts ) maxed out the windows experience index.

windows 7 64bit and don't look back! wink

pre-builds around the sandy bridge architecture can be had for around 1400 and up ( mine ended up @ $2000ish )

2c

SD #242804 04/23/2011 10:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Sounds cool. Did you get all of your parts from one source or various places?

I've never custom-built a computer before, only upgraded RAM once.

Originally Posted by Sirdude
what's your budget?
I'd say around $1,000. I suppose I could wait it out a bit longer and spend more. I'm just dreading my current desktop completely crapping the bed, so I'm thinking I should act sooner, rather than later.

The good news is that I have a nice monitor, so I don't need to spring for that.

Mitch P. #242805 04/23/2011 10:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
i got most of my parts from either amazon or newegg

i basically went to tomshardware.com, looked at their builds and took the parts i wanted and built it

if you aren't good at building your own, then there are nice machines that are pre-built too

and actually, the difference between a self build and a pre build isn't that much anymore..

Linky Dinky to $1000 build

that would beat your current system by a mile, even if it was healthy

and you prolly don't want 2 graphics cards, so save the money on the 2nd one and bump up the RAM and CPU.. RAM is king

2c

Mitch P. #242813 04/24/2011 12:57 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I make lists on my site all the time of decent machines for the $; I know of a few friends (like Glider for example) who've built one and been happy with the results; the current one I'm looking at putting a list together for I think was about $1200 but I haven't really laid down specs yet for it...

I agree with SD, invest in Ram and the Processor, you can always upgrade...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 490 guests, and 102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)