Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
S Offline
What I don't like the most about this forum software is that EVERYTHING is an inconvenience.

It has taken me over a week now and my forums are still not even close to being set up the way that I want them and I have been working from 7am to 3 am in the morning!!!

I don't mind doing all of the work to set this up but what ticks me off is that for every change I make I have to come to this forum to ask a question and wait for reply on how to fix something. I have tried the support route too and all I get get back in response is "yes it can be done." When I ask a question I expect somebody to point me in the right direction or even solve the problem for me. I participate in many other forums and I always help out other posters to the fullest extent. I see none of that happening here.

It would be so simple to make a blog or instructions page that answers the most common problems but I see nothing of the sort. You could even have suggestions listed in the control panel such as field values but I don't see that either. How to set up a portal? Who knows? Permissions? hmm let me spend 4 hours figuring that out. Web gallery integration? Yes bout you have to pay another $150 for Photopost. Why not integrate with Coppermine its free and users have been requesting this since 2004!!! Multiple image uploads? Nope. Support? From one guy who is overloaded with too much work and there are usually only 2 forum users here who know what is going on. The search button? I've worn that thing out with not much success. I almost feel like UBB.threads should be paying me for doing all of this inconvenient work.

I feel your pain.
Documentation has been left behind since the 7.x series.
Hopefully it will improve when version 8 is released.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
S
S Offline
I won't be moving to version 8 from what I've seen so far.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, this forum is user to user support; none of us work for MindRaven... I'm sorry that you don't like that we're not always here, but we're not paid to be here to answer every question everyone asks...

We're here simply as volunteers to aid users who're having problems with the software.

I try to help at every avenue possible; supporting users for free on a forum isn't my full time gig, so designing sets of code for users after they post a request is a little above and beyond, but I do it regardless when I need to and when it won't take a huge chunk of time out of the development work I do for my own clients...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
When I ask a question I expect somebody to point me in the right direction or even solve the problem for me. I participate in many other forums and I always help out other posters to the fullest extent. I see none of that happening here.
BTW, I as well as other users here do try our best to help others as users. We have been there ourselves
But I know for a fact That I have responded to some of your requests without a response.
I understand the frustration that you can't find documentation on what you are trying to change.
I have been there myself. But eventually somebody here has helped me. And I think most all of us will return the favor.
It is just that you can do so much with ubb some of us are stumped on how to respond without more details from you.

I hope you realize that most all of us that have responded to you are users helping each other.

Which in my opinion says a lot for support from a user group.

Blue Man Group
Addict
Addict
I like getting support from other users... They experience issues the same way we do. People like Giz and Ruben and the others respond as quickly as they can.

Could the documentation be better? Of course. But I probably wouldn't read the instructions, anyway. I learn by doing (and sometimes breaking).

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
I like that term (breaking).
Is that not the slogan from ubbdev?

Breaking Your Forums Since 1999!

Blue Man Group
S
S Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, this forum is user to user support; none of us work for MindRaven... I'm sorry that you don't like that we're not always here, but we're not paid to be here to answer every question everyone asks...

We're here simply as volunteers to aid users who're having problems with the software.

I try to help at every avenue possible; supporting users for free on a forum isn't my full time gig, so designing sets of code for users after they post a request is a little above and beyond, but I do it regardless when I need to and when it won't take a huge chunk of time out of the development work I do for my own clients...

Your help is more than appreciated and I'm not blaming any one individual. I did ask a question a few days back and got hardly any feedback. All I basically wanted to know was what were the best avenues to take to add on the best services to my site down the road. I got no response. For example, what is the best way to do SEO with UBB.threads? Who has the best service? How do you set up Google Ads and where do you place the javascripts? Is there a better service tan Google ads? If there was a blog or something all of the findings could be mentioned with the pros and cons. It goes on and on and on. I just wasted 2 days installing 3 diffent photo galleries to find out that none of them are going to work for me. Photopost will work but I'm not going to pay those dikks $140 to have an integrated gallery and then they nickel and dime you year after year to have access. Forget that.

Last edited by ShiftKnowledge; 04/25/2011 6:57 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What is the best way to do SEO with UBB.threads?
Sitemaps (I have a script available that integrates into the UBB, but as you said you don't like paying for addons it's likely not an avenue you'd want to go).

I'd also turn on the following options in the CP (CP -> Master Settings -> Primary Settings -> Advanced Options):
-Enable Spider-friendly URLs?
-Enable HTML Extension
-Enable zlib Compression?

Who has the best service?
For hosting? I'd say Mindraven; generally I'd also include my affiliate link, but 'eh.

How do you set up Google Ads and where do you place the javascripts?
Well, you'd set them up how you liked them ideally; feel free to steal my layout on UGN Security; I calculated all of the spaces based on Google Adsense's "heat data" some years ago; you'll need to hack the templates to set some ad's however.

Is there a better service tan Google ads?
Google Ad's work well with Kontera's targeting ad's.

If there was a blog or something all of the findings could be mentioned with the pros and cons.
Well, Rick asked several of us if we'd be interested in collaborating on a Wiki once v8 is out; I for one said I'd be more than willing to work on it.

Photopost will work but I'm not going to pay those dikks $140 to have an integrated gallery and then they nickel and dime you year after year to have access.
Well, unfortunately, we coders aren't made out of money, and we have small companies. My scripts for example follow the same path that photopost does (which follows the path of many other companies), I charge initially for the current version with a year of free updates, then if you want updates you need to pay X amount more each year to fund development costs. Granted my prices are way less than theirs at every turn lol.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
Shift, is your site running? Is there an address?

Steve

S
S Offline
I guess that give me plenty to do for now. Where can I take a gander at your website with this script?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
check my blog out ( in my sig ) for some tutorials and how to's as well

i need to add more stuff wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The sitemap script? There is info on it here as it generates every possible url it'd crash your web browser if you attempted to load the script directly (it's meant to be fed to Google, Yahoo, Bing, whatever supports sitemaps).

I personally think UBB Threads is the best I have ever used. I have used them all. Was with SMF for yrs and finally had to give up on them.

When I came here a few weeks back I also was a little dismayed at the lack of obvious support then I realized that it would likely be impossible to write a support document that covered every little issue. Just adding to that, go to almost any site that has a support document and ask a question. The very first thing you will get as a reply to your question is the url to the support document which is way way to long forcing you to have to look through the entire thing to only find out that there was a paritial answer but not good enough. Nope I will take this personalized one on one service any day.

For me it as more a case of thinking out side the box I had gotten so used to living in. Once I did that and with a little help from SirDude I had the forum up and running pretty much the way I wanted to run.

Sure I will always have little issues but there isn't a forum software that I have run that I didn't have little issues.

To me UBB Threads is the BEST.

Last edited by swampysc; 04/27/2011 2:17 PM.

If I had a life would I be here? smile
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i actually didn't have to do much either.

swampysc took a coupla hints and ran with it

wink

S
S Offline
I have to agree that it is the best but there are somethings that should be included as a default such as subforums like this:

[Linked Image from anony.ws]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Where you may prefer it to look like that, there are a lot of us who prefer a comma delimited listing to save real estate on already cramp pages...

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Where you may prefer it to look like that, there are a lot of us who prefer a comma delimited listing to save real estate on already cramp pages...
Oh yes! Sub-forums in list fashion are not something I would consider. They would take up way to much space.

Veteran
Veteran
I remember when Windows 3.11 came out. The book was 2" thick. Then Windows 95 came out the book was an inch thick. Win98 the book was 3/8" thick.

My point is this. People want the ability to use a complex product that will be all point and click on a 2nd grade level cus they are just to lazy to actually open a book and read something or learn anything. Pretty much why Windows is so popular anyway and not a more powerful, cleaner, and more stable operating system like Linux.

If Rick sat and wrote a complete manual for this product it would take 2 years and no one would buy it anyway and if they did only 10% of them would actually read it. So why waste his time doing it at all. I personally would love to see a fully documented product.

With windows xp and beyond there is no book at all. mad

The problem is it is needed more than ever.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Your exactly right Ruben. It's the dumbing down phase I guess, LOL.

Addict
Addict
I remember having the looseleaf DOS 2.0 books. I suppose I should have kept them. They may be collectors' items some day. I also had Lotus 1-2-3, Wordperfect, etc.

Steve

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have some old DOS and Windows books (even the 3.11 manual) laying around here somewhere... lol

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have windows 95 on the original 13 floppy discs.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by David Dreezer

Oh that brings back bad memories of building computers in the back room of a small shop before "Ghost" We would setup 10-15 of them and just wander back and forth changing discs frown

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have it on floppies somewhere too lol...

Addict
Addict
My first job after college was with BASF. We made 5.25" and 8" "FlexyDisks." How many of us have used 8" disks? I can remember struggling to hand assemble the new 3.5" disks so we could display them at the CES show.

We also developed 3.25" disks with a drive manufacturer, but that obviously didn't work out!

Many of us had uncoated 16" aluminum rigid disks on our walls as mirrors.

Steve

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I can remember using a few of the 8" disks, the computer I had used 2 of them if I remember right smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I have windows for workgroups 3.11 on floppies. It was lightning fast compared to 3.1, I forget why right now, but combine that 8MB of ram and your computer flew!

I probably have 3.1 on floppies too, I kept those thinking I would need them again for some reason smile

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Wouldn't it be a matter of exchanging a , for a <br /> ?

- Allen
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by AllenAyres

I have windows for workgroups 3.11 on floppies. It was lightning fast compared to 3.1, I forget why right now, but combine that 8MB of ram and your computer flew!

I probably have 3.1 on floppies too, I kept those thinking I would need them again for some reason smile

Same here - have loads of floppies - just can't quite bring myself to throw them out.

When someone is clearing all my junk after I am gone - they will question a) as to what they are and b) why on earth I kept them!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
Same here - have loads of floppies - just can't quite bring myself to throw them out.

When someone is clearing all my junk after I am gone - they will question a) as to what they are and b) why on earth I kept them!!
Ditto lol

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a shopping bag with a lot of floppies in it... I don't have any PC's with a floppy drive anymore. For some reason I too can't bring myself to toss them and I feel mine are mostly worthless at this point. That and my box of computer parts salvaged from old computers. I still have my first computer too, just sitting in the basement collecting dust and probably mold. LOL!

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
i'm tempted to buy a usb floppy, but they're expensive

enthusiast
enthusiast
Expensive? Lookie! ----> http://www.floppydisk.com/usb.htm

Webmaster by night! cool
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
last one i saw was at fry's for like $50...

T
T Offline
Hi

I have used this forum on my websites for years and despite the fact that I'm not very tech minded, I have always managed to resolve any problems quickly thanks to the guys here and also the suppliers.

I would be gutted if this product and community ever vanished. I'm not affiliated to this product in anyway other than as a customer and I don't know anyone within the community.

Keep up the fantastic work.

For what it is worth.
A couple of us have been working on a wiki for UBBThreads.
Still needs some work but visit
UBB.Wiki

Blue Man Group
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you! smile

Webmaster by night! cool
enthusiast
enthusiast
This seems to be an appropriate place to post this question ---

What is the status of the next release?
I don't expect to see any date posted (wouldn't trust it anyways)... but at least it would be nice to know MONTHLY that someone is actually working on the upgrade.

Can't someone just post a single line EACH MONTH saying that SOMETHING is still being done? November 1st, December 1st, January 1st.... etc.

I think that it's called "customer relations".

--BIll B
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29