Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
stranger
stranger
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Hello

I have a two part question. Firstly I am running version 7.1 and recently my VPS has started crashing constantly. I was told by the hosting company that my site is too memory intensive as they are getting the message:
ash-3.00# grep -ri memory /var/log/httpd/error_log
[error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: fork: Unable to fork new process

Could the UBB forum be using up all the resources? It is the only thing I have running and I am not sure if it could be the source of my problems.

My second question is if I move to a new server running php 5 and MySQL5, would there be any incompatibilities or should UBB 7.1 work fine?

I am not very technical so your help will be appreciated

Thanks

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
Jagga, I used to have a ton of problems with my VPS on different hosts, i switched over to mindraven, which owns ubbthreads... I was able to have pretty much a problem free forum. They are very competitive in pricing and it JUST WORKS


http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
stranger
stranger
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks Stan for recommending Mindraven Hoasting. Until I have a chance to review and make a decision I am hoping someone can answer the questions I posted.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
The only issues I am aware of are two.

1. Using the shout box as a full blown chat.
Meaning heavy usage.

2. Persistent Connections
If enabled can cause issues.

And currently from your profile. Your forum is down due to mysql connection issues.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
stranger
stranger
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Ruben

The hosting company is upgrading my Plesk Control Panel software to the most recent upgrade and is should take about 20-30 minutes so I assume that is why you are getting that error.

I actually experienced the problem with the "shout box" and so I turned it off. I was not aware about the "Persistent Connection" so I will make sure it is disabled.

To help me understand some more, what is the Persistent Connection?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm running all of my forums on php5/mysql5 with no problems.

PErsistant connections maintain a static connection to mysql, which can cause load problems.

Other things to check are that the post tracking options are disabled (Show total # of unread posts per forum?, Show total # of unread replies in topics?) as they can and will cause load on a busy forum.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
stranger
stranger
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
These are such valuable information. Thank you


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)