Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
sat4all.com #243570 06/03/2011 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by MediaLabs
Ok, it was clear to me that the 'glitches' in fact had a totally different reason.

I'm quit sure I will be migrating to IB.Board of vBulletin now.

As someone new is going to dig into someone else code, a 6 month delay for version 8 is the least we have to count with.

What a huge disappointment!

You'll be doing the right thing IMO. UBB has a veritable mountain to climb to catch up with the competition. (Some people may say that UBB doesn't need to match the competition, well wake up and smell the coffee. No new users equals a declining revenue, which equals no product). Fine if "Brooks" is bringing money and development to the table, absolute waste of time if "Brooks" isn't.
I had the choice of switching from FBB to either UBB or IPB last year. I made the right decision.

Rick #243571 06/03/2011 11:17 AM
addict
addict
Well, as disappointed as I am, I'll reserve any judgement until I see what direction the new owners are going to take. Until then, still awaiting v8 to see if it's going to be worth the wait or not.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
Rick #243572 06/03/2011 12:00 PM
N
Naz Offline
N Offline

Congratulations Rick with your new job, and all the best to your family smile

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
Rick #243574 06/03/2011 12:23 PM
S
S Offline
How much time will Brooks be putting in per day and how many on team Brooks?

Rick #243575 06/03/2011 1:25 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
Perhaps the announcement should have waited till the new owner was ready to announce who HE is.

Originally Posted by Bad Frog
while I understand Rick's decision, I still find this news disconcerting and am a little apprehensive about the future.

Agreed.

And I too am in the camp of needing to know more information about the future of the UBB brand; more than just knowing that the supposed owner's name is "brooks"...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #243578 06/03/2011 1:35 PM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I guess the questions are:-

Is V8 going to be released soon (what are the new plans for it)?
Is this a one man operation or a large company?
What forum experience do you have?
Who is 'Brooks'?
What happens to existing licences?
What about people grandfathered in, who held wwwthreads licences?
Let us know about your plans and give some confidence to people who have been loyal for many years smile

Rick #243585 06/03/2011 5:15 PM
Addict
Addict
I was hoping for the S - D (or Giz) deal, too.

The only reason I switched my site to Mindraven was because of the connection between UBB.threads and Mindraven. It seemed like the best avenue for keeping the forum running as well as it should. I wonder what happens to our free licenses now, all though that was only a minor consideration for me.

I echo all of Ian's comments. I have a lot riding on the success of my board, and I thought I was making the right decisions toward its future.

In spite of all of that, I wish Rick the best in his future endeavors.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #243586 06/03/2011 5:27 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SteveS
I was hoping for the S - D (or Giz) deal, too.
If I had the cash and the ability my friend...

I'd love the chance to work with/for the powers that be; I'm always here, always trying to help, I'm just good PR/Idea Guy hehe..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #243588 06/03/2011 5:43 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Well, frankly I can't believe that an announcement was made regarding the sale of this product without a corresponding announcement from the new owner.

After several hours we are still waiting.

Disillusioned? Not any more. It's way past that.

Bad Frog #243589 06/03/2011 5:50 PM
T
T Offline
Originally Posted by Bad Frog
Rick's involvement personal touch in customer service were a huge factor to my use and support of this product.

Good Luck Rick.

I strongly feel the same. He's been a big help for our forum. He owes us nothing -- quite the contrary.

I wish the best for Rick and his family.

tacks #243592 06/03/2011 7:52 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by tacks
He owes us nothing

I'll count to 10 then; and post tomorrow.

Rick #243593 06/03/2011 10:08 PM
T
T Offline
I too wonder about 2 aspects.

1. The people who have lifetime subscriptions, will those be honored?

2. Those that are hosted by Mindraven at certain levels get free member access as long as we are hosted, will this still hold true?

Otherwise I agree with many others, a change like this could be good or bad, but we have to wait and find out. None of us can pass judgement until then as we have no idea what will change or how.

And as for Rick, we should be congratulating him. He took years out of his life to keep this product running, now he needs to take time and be with his family. Congratulations Rick on the new job and move, good luck with all future endeavors!

willing #243594 06/04/2011 7:53 AM
Originally Posted by willing
Originally Posted by Dunny
Some people will never be happy unless they get their daily fix of news etc.

Yes, we were all demanding daily updates. confused

I am building a game at the moment and for two years I get the same thing whether there is something to report or not. Good luck with the new job.

Do you constantly give these people time frames in which to expect things and then miss them badly, only to give another one to miss once again?

Why the harshness? People have lives, crap happens. Believe it or not there is a world outside the internet.

Programmers by nature are always defending themselves and that is why we always get the standard, don't ask, we will tell you when it is time to tell you and not before. Users on the other hand are just anxious to see or get the new toy being produced and are nothing but happy, enthusiastic and short on patience. Some where in the middle is where both should be, each displaying a little more sensitivity.

Back to the situation at hand, I just looked outside and I have an announcement to make, "The sky is not falling." The new owner may be better or worse but one thing for sure is each and everyone of us will cope with whatever it is. Let's put on a positive face, wish Rick all the best and welcome the new owner whoever they maybe with open arms.

Just my 2 cents with little sense.

Last edited by swampysc; 06/04/2011 7:54 AM.

If I had a life would I be here? smile
Rick #243595 06/04/2011 8:12 AM
addict
addict
I am a bit concerned with the new precedent that is being set where there has been very little information or involvement of the new owners. We are used to at least knowing the ownership was directly involved with customer support. Rick really did so well with it that it seemed like he was always lurking because I can't remember a time that someone needed tech support above what we could discuss here and it was handled by Rick within 24 hours. I can say to those who want to move on, try getting that level of support anywhere internet or not, it isn't going to happen.

@owners- Guys we just need to know where the product stands and where the faithful customers stand, the ones that have supported this product, many of us for a very long time through prior changes as well. Transition is difficult I get that, but we really do want/need to know some answers to the questions above.

Dunny #243596 06/04/2011 8:33 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I can't remember a time that someone needed tech support above what we could discuss here and it was handled by Rick within 24 hours.

I am a gold licence holder and my last two support requests have not been resolved. One was completely ignored.

Thank God for SD or I wouldn't have a functioning forum.

Cheers SD, you're a mate!

Rick #243597 06/04/2011 10:04 AM
addict
addict
Oh heck that was because it was you... that doesn't count jeesh tongue

j/k... it was not the standard response though was what I meant driv smile

Dunny

Rick #243598 06/04/2011 10:30 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
wink

Rick #243599 06/04/2011 10:35 AM
Sysop
Sysop
We have no plans on changing the licensing system/terms. We have time and resources to put towards v8, but obviously have to get a handle on where exactly the development is at, how much is left, stability, testing, etc. If any of the members who are very familiar with the software are interested in participating in development or support, please send me a message so we can discuss.

thanks!

Rick #243602 06/04/2011 10:54 AM
i have used this software for many many years, long before my registration on this board, and i hope its quality continues.

Gizmo is super good at fixing any problems i have ever had. He's the man in my book. i am sure SD is good too but never really worked with him.

The new owners would be smart to pay those guys to help them figure out what is where.

Slip them some dough. They know this software in and out and can help you immensely.

don't try to do it with all freebie volunteer help. Pay the folks who know the product to help you understand.

gotta pay for good help. its not fair otherwise.

Rick #243603 06/04/2011 11:11 AM
I sent brooks a PM but the message was pretty close to mcasado's. I highly recommended the same 2 people, Sirdude and Gizmo.

Rick #243604 06/04/2011 11:12 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks to everyone that has given the well-wishes. For those with concerns I totally understand. I talked with Brooks for quite a bit on this and know that he will be doing everything he, and his team, can to keep UBB moving forward.

I've also passed along the names of all you helpful people, as things would have been much harder without you.

Like I said, I'll still be around and consulting. Maybe a bit less often over the next couple weeks as we get ready for a long move, but I've been involved with UBB for so long, I'm not just going to drop off the face of the earth smile

Rick #243606 06/04/2011 11:53 AM
L
L Offline
Extremely disappointing as this comes out of the blue. Speaking for me, and possibly others whose business is based on this program, and with other products having features that were going to be incorporated in to 8.0 this creates issues.

Since I am not a programmer as many of you on here seem to be I am/was at your mercy to keep current with the marketplace.

I guess it is good that you found someone so quickly to take over. Can you give us a time frame for 8.0?

Meanwhile, any of guys or gals that can do development work on 7.5.6 I would be very interested in discussing contract work. I can be contacted at larry@backofthenet.com and I would be interested in getting started NOW.

Please reply with a contact phone number as I do not want to get into a series of email exchanges, but rather get right to the nitty gritty on the phone.

Good luck Rick and thank you for making me a lot of money....I wish the same to you and your family.

Rick #243610 06/04/2011 1:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I was as shocked as everyone else when I saw this post. I also moved to MindRaven because of the close ties to the software and the server. (that was my main selling point to the rest of the members of the club directors) I hope / assume that the level of support will remain as GREAT as it has in the past. Rick I know how hard it can be to move, I am going through it myself right now, except I have nothing waiting for me when I get there in the next month. We are starting from scratch except for having family there to support us. Good luck!

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
Rick #243613 06/04/2011 2:02 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Rick, good luck to you and I hope to see you hanging around in the future. One question for you is what happens to those of us that purchased lifetime/extended support and still have credits left, are they gone or what? How do I get help on a small problem I am having?

Stan - http://www.Healthlinks.net

Rick #243618 06/04/2011 4:18 PM
C
C Offline
Rick, I don't know how you have do it this long with it not being your full time job. I think you are making the right decision for your family. Good luck with the new job. Time with family is most important. It does surprise me Brooks has not given us much background info. Makes it sound like he is too busy for this project to be of importance which is starting him out on the wrong foot with everyone. Trust is gained slowly but can be lost quickly.

Capt. Clay C
Capt. Clay C #243620 06/04/2011 6:26 PM
T
tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
That's right Capt. I would have thought that if something like this is to be announced, a fully prepared statement would be the first thing out the door, the very first priority.
Now I'm beginning to wonder if this new owner is actually a team or just one person in a room with a few computers.

swampysc #243622 06/04/2011 8:23 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Originally Posted by swampysc
Originally Posted by willing
Some people will never be happy unless they get their daily fix of news etc.

Yes, we were all demanding daily updates. confused

I am building a game at the moment and for two years I get the same thing whether there is something to report or not. Good luck with the new job.

Do you constantly give these people time frames in which to expect things and then miss them badly, only to give another one to miss once again?

Why the harshness? People have lives, crap happens. Believe it or not there is a world outside the internet.

Programmers by nature are always defending themselves and that is why we always get the standard, don't ask, we will tell you when it is time to tell you and not before.

Why not do that then? Instead of saying "end of the year at the very latest", followed by "within 2 months at the maximum" etc. People might make or put off decisions on these remarks.

Let me just temper this by saying that up until recently I have been impressed with service given here and I suppose this frustration comes out of disappointment. I wish Rick well in his endeavors.

A quick look round at other 'solutions' out there in the last day or so and I am actually quite shocked at how old our threads now seems.

Rick #243627 06/05/2011 6:05 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
I am actually not as understanding and as forgiving as some of you guys are.

This has all been a very unprofessional way of running a company. We have all been fooled into believing there was going to be a version 8 'soon' and 'soon' has become over 2 years.

The new owner gets the benefit of the doubt, but:

I would like to know within 2 weeks:

- what is going to be the exact feature list for v8?
- what timeframe untill the actuall release of v8?

If there is actually a team working for UBB systems, it should be no problem to answer these questions within 2 weeks.

If the response to these questions is not going to be satisfactory, I'm gone and will purchase another forum software like VB or IPB.

Kind regards,

Michel

Rick #243628 06/05/2011 6:45 AM
Good Luck Rick wink
Bold and Difficult descion i can only imagine.

But guys a question that was raised years ago was what would happen to Threads if Rick was ever in a serious Accident?

Its pretty much where were are now but with Ricks Ghost giving Guidance (he's still alive if you have lost me).

I want to remain on the fence until more information has been released. But wish Rick all the best.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Rick #243629 06/05/2011 10:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I too want to wish Rick luck and good fortune in his future endeavors. Sometimes change in our lives is necessary and deciding to do so can be difficult.

As far as UBB is concerned we all know this is Rick's baby and some of us have negative thoughts about the news of it's being sold. As pleased as I am with the product, development has seemed to slowed and now stalled due to recent events. I would also guess there is more to this than anyone of us has given consideration to. I want to take a more optimistic view that the future may be brighter for the product with new people, new talent, new ideas and apparently more money and resources than Rick could invest into the product. In the end, this may be just what UBB Threads needs if it is to survive, improve and and grow with the needs of forum users.

Lastly, forums are about building on-line communities. These forums are an excellent example of that and are an integral and valuable part of UBB Threads. I would like to think that the collective body of this community has a lot to offer the new owner and developer of UBB Threads and can influence the direction it takes, wherever that may be. Some of you have been a positive source of ideas for me and the help I have received here is unquestionably the most important part of UBB in my opinion. Since this community is in our hands, I would hate to see it fall apart.

And on that note, THANK YOU to everyone who has assisted me in the past, including Rick.

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
Rick #243631 06/05/2011 2:18 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Rick wishing you good luck on your new job and I do hope this is a good thing for your family.

Now, I want to say that it was bad form to not even ask SD or Gizmo and maybe one or two more if they wanted to purchase UBB singularly or collectively. These guys have done a lot for the success of UBB in keeping current license holders happy.

I am sure Forum software sales isn't any where near what it was 5 - 10 years ago. Facebook has made a dent in forum use, but I think people are starting to see the short comings of Facebook.

I will be watching to see how things are going. Right now I am suing V 7.5.? with some SD tweaks to give some options I wanted. It is stable and running well, so I am in no rush to change.

Rick #243634 06/05/2011 2:45 PM
R
R Offline

First of all, as a person who has his share of running companies that provide software and hardware for specific purpose, I think you have likely made the right decision to insure both the forward success of UBB and of your obligations to your family.

For those now looking to jump ship, I have this to say.

I know what VB looks like in operation. I am not impressed. Our own forum has jumped from no place to tied for the most active in our genre in less than 8 months. Part of this success is based on the look and feel of UBB compared to the look and feel of other and competing forum software bundles.

Except for our own mistakes, UBB has been rock solid even in the face of hacker attacks.

Look and feel is important. And UBB is king of the hill in terms of the ability to project a look and feel. We have a professional graphics artist as one of our founding members, and she has very specific requirements on the software package, requirements we were unable to find in other packages.

We do need more features and I have listed them in the suggestion box. I am perfectly happy contracting to SD or Gizmo to provide those features and was simply waiting until v8 to see what was still needed.

We currently average over 600 posts a day and during the busy season, we handled more than a thousand. This make us a player by any measure especially considering that we went live in September of last year, (at least in our genre). Even during the off season, we continue to grow and we credit part of that success to our rock solid forum package and the look and feel.

We just had a record time when more than 90 members and guests were active at the same time.

For whatever it is worth, we just ran out of disk space with our current hosting provider and posted a trouble ticket. Rick answered within 15 minutes with a suggestion which we have turned on. I dunno how you get better service than that.

Guess you could say we are sticking with UBB because it is our best interest to do so. The task of switching forum packages is also a consideration that has to be answered. It is not that simple as to just make a decision and do it.

Larry

Rick #243635 06/05/2011 3:43 PM
A
art Offline
A Offline
Wow! I turn my back for a little while and everything changes, first congrats on a new job Rick, I hope it goes well for you. Second, Good luck to the new owners, I hope UBB continues to prosper.

Rick #243636 06/05/2011 4:03 PM
M
M Offline
Rick,

Grats on the new gig and I hope it works out well for you and your family.

We've never met and likely never will, but I feel I know you at least a little. Glad to read that you will still be a member of the community.

Brooks,

Looking forward to learning the plan. Keeping an open mind.

Rick #243667 06/07/2011 12:35 AM
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
I wish you all the best Rick and thanks for all the work you have done over the years. You had to make the decision that makes most sense for you and your family.

And as for someone with just a room full of computers taking over. Hey, that is not in itself a problem. Many great software businesses have grown from that environment. And when a software business isn't able to support a full time team this is often how they need to work. All I ask is that it is a room containing a few talented PHP programmers.

Rick #243680 06/07/2011 2:28 PM
G
G Offline
Congratulations on the new job Rick, wish you all the best! Looking forward to hear about the future of UBB.threads as well. I hope the new management will be just as good and friendly as Rick has been through the years.

aka Olle Johansson
nigels #243683 06/07/2011 6:23 PM
T
tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
Well, that was part of my comment, in that we still don't know. No official announcement as there should have been from the beginning so all of us know where we stand. Not the best way to instill confidence.

razor_head #243689 06/08/2011 2:59 AM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Originally Posted by razor_head
.....Part of this success is based on the look and feel of UBB compared to the look and feel of other and competing forum software bundles.

Look and feel is important. And UBB is king of the hill in terms of the ability to project a look and feel. We have a professional graphics artist as one of our founding members, and she has very specific requirements on the software package, requirements we were unable to find in other packages.

Surely. Surely... you cannot be serious with those comments. I find it extremely difficult to believe that.

I have spent the last 5 days, for the first time really, looking at alternatives.
And I am frankly very shocked at what I have seen.
And also kind of angry at myself for being complacent and not looking sooner.

Rick #243707 06/08/2011 5:23 PM
let's relax folks. i agree the new person is incredibly invisible considering the worry by folks, many whose business depends on this software.

but let's go on Belize time, kick back, let the forums run for a couple weeks and then see what comes up. we tend to want things NOW, when its more like all things in their time.

you smart guys like the Giz gotta keep the shop running while this new person digs their head out of the sand.

Rick #243723 06/08/2011 8:26 PM
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Yeah folks chill out. Sheesh. You can't expect the new owner(s) to make any kind of announcement yet.... give them until December 2011. Or maybe June 2012.

Everyones always wanting things NOW.

wink

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29