Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#240443 12/02/2010 9:10 PM
V
V Offline
Since my migration from wowBB many members are having a problem logging on. I couldnt log on from either of my 3 PCs... using IE. I downloaded firefox and its no problem.

I migrated from wowBB software on Sept1. And when I tried to log on I just got send back to the regular homepage where it says "you are not logged in". As I said, many of my members have this problem and I have to direct them to firefox.

Anyone else have this problem?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's an issue with IE8 and certain settings that causes an issue on some installs. We are still trying to duplicate it on a site so we can debug, will try on yours to see if we can duplicate it there.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
When you login, try "not" checking the remember me button and see if that works. When I checked it, then I was able to duplicate, leaving it unchecked allowed me to login.

If that's the same for you then I think we have something to work from.

V
V Offline
I never had the box checked.

I just tried it again and no go.

I tried it with the box checked.....no go.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I've got a change that we'll be doing on your site today as a test. I'll let you know when it's in.

journeyman
journeyman
Rick, I also have a couple users with log in problems. A few of them get logged out when they click a link in a post or even use active topics. It doesn't make a difference if the remember me is checked out not.

I just went to our Community and out of the blue after log in it shows You are not logged in.

I have not had any problem until now and I have made no changes. I have to enter the scripting because I can not log in to access the control panel. I will report back when I resolve the issue.

I will try other browsers first.

Ancient and Honourable, John West.
As soon as I transferred to Firefox I was able to log in. I have had no problem with IE until just this moment and I am using version 9. I will examine this issue and report back again but something smells... MSIE Version 8 and 9 are all I have used for months.

Addict
Addict
When I got my new laptop (Windows7/IE8) I had trouble with it logging me out. I posted about it a few weeks ago. But, the problem went away as quickly as it came on, with no intervention from me.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
I hear you Steve. I just went through a strange ride with no sound explanation but I always ride high and hard because of problems in the past. I will list my actions concerning this matter for future reference.

ACTIONS:

Cookie and History, etc. delete of all content: No resolution.

Close and reopen all browsers: No resolution.

Database restore to older safe date: No resolution.

Database restore to latest backup: No resolution.

Run system check: Mid way through system check I was able to log in and remain logged in at Community.

System scan has not reached area that would affect browser or Internet prior to log in success.

Noticed extreme difference in site load time (drag server side) and then all is well.

Problem appears to have been server side at this time. Will report back if able to re-create or if problem persists.

CORRECTION:

I just returned to post and I was once again logged out. As of now IE will not log me in and displays ACCESS DENIED! when I try to log in with Admin account.

I logged in via Firefox and posted with no problem what so ever but IE 9 suddenly will not log in and operate properly. This is out of the blue and started today.

I will continue to investigate and report updates.

UPDATE:

I am fully stumped at this juncture. Upon IE login you are taken to the Forums screen just as if you completed the log in but it has not. You are not logged in (log in) is displayed. I attempted to use the wrong password and it said that is the wrong password for this user. I switched to IE 64bit and the same outcome.

I have switched to another computer with a different operating system and browser - same exact issue same exact result. XP - IE8

P.S. Oh my God after getting used to windows 7 and IE 9 on a new system (3 gig SDRAM - 500 GIG harddrive) I was just floored by the performance of the old computer that I thought was pretty good last year. Awful is an understatement...

I will attempt to log in with IE7 when I get a chance but why has this issue come about today after never being a problem before on the same system used right now..? My only option is to begin a search for anti-IE data somewhere on the server side. I refuse to scrap UBB just so my members can log in with IE. IE is still the most used browser by far.

Any input would be appreciated.

I will continue to analize...

OK get ready to be amazed! Shocked is more like it if this is a temp fix...

By accident kinda - I wanted to change the url in case it had anything to do with the problem like if it was entered into a script server side and causing a problem. (Just a thought don't know why) I removed the www from the url in the control panel (DB, paths and urls - tab-paths, urls full url to main directory) and instantly I logged in and moved around the Community without a hitch. I will continue to examine the issue and would love input on wTF is up with that?

I have freely moved around as well as posted without being logged out at this time at our Community.

I will continue to analize this issue.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, quite easily, that'd be a cross domain cookie issue, as www and non-www aren't technically the same domain (like using forum.yoursite.tld and www.yoursite.tld); what I usually recommend people do is set (in their htaccess file) which domain they'd like to use and have apache forward any alternative requests to the primary domain...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I understand your suggestion but because I logged into the Forums from a secondary computer never before used and cleared the cache and cookie history and all forms of stored data while testing other computers as well, leads me to believe it is not (quite) that simple but all in all I agree. It is something minor with the rendering between the script, database and browser somewhere. Besides I was not aware Firefox and IE currently handled cookies different enough that one would over-ride and log in and the other would not... Interesting.

None-the-less, much testing and since the change I have had no problem. Will re-add the www later and see if the problem returns just to finalize the examination.

Hope this helps someone else who might have similar problems.

FYI - we run our forum script via https:// and other options that keep us on our toes checking for script anomalies anyway.

Gizmo - I forgot to mention I did not add the www before the problem started it was already there from the start of our use of version 7 - later...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, it's possible you installed the ubb to use a non-www and you went to the www form of your site and after posting it threw you back to whatever the forum is programmed to send you... :shrug:

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Some days we need a good anomaly to set the pace aye Gizmo? - :SHRUG:*:SHRUG:

Never re-added the www to confirm but so far no issues with the problem above. Not the case with other issues - it's always something. (Human error)

Addict
Addict
This is pissing me off. I logged off of my site to check some "guest" permissions. I logged back in, and now I can't do anything.

IE8.

Steve

Curious question.
Are you using the Referer Check?
Control Panel » Primary Settings[-] Advanced Options

I had some members with login issues once I turned it off most all of them were okay.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
Ruben, the referrer check is off.

Steve

Addict
Addict
It happened again today, here on UBB Central.

Steve

old hand
old hand
I'm continually hearing more and more from users who can't stay logged in.

Have you tried the below? I think I got the advice here. This is the advice that I give to my users and it works for their issues.

In IE, go to:

Tools / Internet Options / Security / Trusted sites / Sites

Deselect the "Require server verification" check box

Add yourdoman to the zone:
http://www.yourdomain.com/

old hand
old hand
I have a user saying the above isn't working for him to stay logged in. Below are his stats. Any tips?

Browser = IE 9
Computer = hp Pavilion, PC.
O.S. = Vista Home Premium

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's an IE issue, er... a ubbthreads issue with IE browsers - more so the more current ones.

I'm hoping this is the first bug to be fixed in 7.6 smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
It's an IE issue, er... a ubbthreads issue with IE browsers - more so the more current ones.

I'm hoping this is the first bug to be fixed in 7.6 smile

it is on my list of stuff to include in 7.6 fer sure wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thank you very much smile I stopped trying to log in here from my main computer a while back, it just wouldn't "stick".

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Addict
Addict
Driving me nuts again... IE9

Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (rootman), 641 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29