Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#244088 06/28/2011 7:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 25
D
newbie
newbie
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 25
After setting the forum so new users have to actually authenticate through their email, AND having GD2 enabled... I am still getting what appears to be automated spam messages in the forum.

Is there something else we can do to prevent this?

I've been with UBBthreads since the 90's (my original login here is lost, and havent been able to get it back btw) and I love the software, but I gotta be honest and say the software is swiftly falling behind the leaders now.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these "automated attacks" aren't automated; organizations are actually there to spam sites with whatever advertisement that anyone wants to pay for (for pennies on the dollar).

One thing I recommend people who're being plagued with such issues is to install my Stop Forum Spam modification over at UBBDev. Stop Forum Spam keeps a database of users who've been known spammers and tells you if they match (the mod does an automated IP based match on signup, if a match is found, they're denied the ability to register).


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Deejay23 #244135 07/04/2011 12:17 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 25
D
newbie
newbie
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 25
I'll check this out Gizmo, thanks again! smile

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 30
A
art Offline
newbie
newbie
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 30
It has become enough of an issue on my bbs'es that when new user req's come in, they do not get approved until I check their profile, ip address and email, any mismatch and the address or the entire cidr block if it is not a US or Canada ip end up in my htaccess file. (this wouldnt work well if there were more than 3-4 registrations a week.... then I would consider automating it.)


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)