Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gizmo #244253 07/17/2011 1:06 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gizmo
See, I like the back end, clean code, speed, and functionality...

Aye a solid combo of both is great for me.. throw in easy for Dummy to understand and it is dang near perfect at that point.

Dunny

Rick #244257 07/18/2011 2:50 AM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Larry Miller
Brooks did give us his number. It is posted on the ubbcentral.com home page in the upper right. It is (954) 871-2693. I guess he does want us to call!!

Yelling the loudest won't get you noticed, it'll just annoy people and make them want to ignore you even more.

If this has really gotten to the point where you're acting like this then you should start looking into other options and not waste your time screaming and trying to stir up even more negativity here.

I can understand why you feel the way you do. But acting like this isn't helping anything.

Last edited by Kotonoha; 07/18/2011 2:52 AM.
Kotonoha #244258 07/18/2011 9:00 AM
L
L Offline
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
Brooks did give us his number. It is posted on the ubbcentral.com home page in the upper right. It is (954) 871-2693. I guess he does want us to call!!

Yelling the loudest won't get you noticed, it'll just annoy people and make them want to ignore you even more.

If this has really gotten to the point where you're acting like this then you should start looking into other options and not waste your time screaming and trying to stir up even more negativity here.

I can understand why you feel the way you do. But acting like this isn't helping anything.

Yelling? Who is yelling? Stating a fact isn't yelling. The point I'm at is I am whole. Many members are not. Actually, I'm not so sure the owner is whole. The UBB script is unprotected and may already be floating around the internet with someones "crack" or license info. Now, there is something to "scream" about if you're the owner, n'est pas?

BTW, if you or anyone else wants to call me I can be reached at 516.673.1995

Rick #244259 07/18/2011 10:54 AM
addict
addict
I put the blame squarely on the new owners. If they can't even bother to stop by and tell everyone what's going on during this transition, then, in my opinion, they deserve all the crap they are getting. We have been waiting for what, over a year now for version 8 and now we're told it's being put on hold while they work on version 7.x to fix some 'bugs, etc. Still haven't seen any update on that version in awhile now. Not a good way to treat your customers, especially with other packages being actively developed with new features all the time.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
GregK #244260 07/18/2011 11:29 AM
stranger
stranger
Yelling? Who is yelling? Stating a fact isn't yelling. The point I'm at is I am whole. Many members are not. Actually, I'm not so sure the owner is whole. The UBB script is unprotected and may already be floating around the internet with someones "crack" or license info. Now, there is something to "scream" about if you're the owner, n'est pas?

Pretty much every script is floating around out there in the warez scene, that's nothing new. Usually those warez are pretty much untouchable anyways because they get hosting from countries that don't respect copyright laws.

Originally Posted by GregK
I put the blame squarely on the new owners. If they can't even bother to stop by and tell everyone what's going on during this transition, then, in my opinion, they deserve all the crap they are getting. We have been waiting for what, over a year now for version 8 and now we're told it's being put on hold while they work on version 7.x to fix some 'bugs, etc. Still haven't seen any update on that version in awhile now. Not a good way to treat your customers, especially with other packages being actively developed with new features all the time.

I don't disagree, and I understand why they're getting all the "crap" that they're getting. However, if you've seen the so-called vB4 fiasco then you'd know that giving them "crap" isn't really going to accomplish anything.

A lot of people were mad about vB4 and complained, but there were also all the loyal fans who stuck by them. If you can't stick by your software or the company/people behind it any more then you should start looking into other options, because complaining here isn't likely to accomplish much other than perhaps turning this community into a hellhole full of negativity and complaints. And why would you need to do that?

Last edited by Kotonoha; 07/18/2011 11:30 AM.
Kotonoha #244261 07/18/2011 12:36 PM
L
L Offline
"

Pretty much every script is floating around out there in the warez scene, that's nothing new. Usually those warez are pretty much untouchable anyways because they get hosting from countries that don't respect copyright laws.

Originally Posted by GregK

I don't disagree, and I understand why they're getting all the "crap" that they're getting. However, if you've seen the so-called vB4 fiasco then you'd know that giving them "crap" isn't really going to accomplish anything.

A lot of people were mad about vB4 and complained, but there were also all the loyal fans who stuck by them. If you can't stick by your software or the company/people behind it any more then you should start looking into other options, because complaining here isn't likely to accomplish much other than perhaps turning this community into a hellhole full of negativity and complaints. And why would you need to do that?

Are you one of the new owners? If people do not complain then how will things change? How will new versions and bug fixes, as well as support happen? By Divine Intervention?

BTW, what is the url of your UBB Forum?

Larry Miller #244262 07/18/2011 3:09 PM
stranger
stranger
Are you one of the new owners?

No.

If people do not complain then how will things change?

Complaining is one thing, encouraging people to phone someone so they can all complain is crossing a line. If you're going to complain then do it in a nicer way and don't go around trying to spread negativity all over the place.

How will new versions and bug fixes, as well as support happen? By Divine Intervention?

If you're questioning this so badly then are you looking into other options to use for your forum yet? If you still have hope then you should be a little nicer and act a little more professional rather than just complaining and encouraging people to call the owner to complain. Their number may be public, but it doesn't make it right for you to encourage people to abuse that fact.

Last edited by Kotonoha; 07/18/2011 3:12 PM.
Rick #244263 07/18/2011 3:59 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I too have many licenses of UBB and I have been waiting forever for UBB V8...

I was very disappointed to see Rick just up and dumped the UBB, and it appears to me that most of the work he said was complete, apparently was not...

I bought my first license back in August 2008, and he told me then that there was a whole new version coming out, and he promised me a FREE upgrade to it even it it ran out past the first year...

August 2009 came and I reminded him and he again agreed to it...

I then bought many other licenses and he promised they would all be covered under the new V8 as well at no additional charge.

Now what? I will tell you one thing for sure !

I WOULD BE A WHOLE LOT MORE PISSED OFF, IF I HADN'T RUN ACROSS SIRDUDE !

SIRDUDE has actually been a god send for me, and has been a resource better than any I have found here or elsewhere !

He is able to customize the UBB forums and wordpress sites and marry them together to a point that they seem as though they are one product !

I have had sirdude do things on UBB that I was not even sure was possible, but he always finds a way to do it, and DO IT WELL !

If I hadn't found SirDude (www.SirDude.com) I would be just another miserable forums owner right now, but with him...

The Sky Is The Limit ! THANKS SIRDUDE !

If you need help... he is the man ! SD@SirDude.com

Come On Over, We'll keep the fire burning for ya!

ALSO visit our newest forums - www.ATVingpA.com/forums
CampingPA #244264 07/18/2011 4:02 PM
old hand
old hand
x2. SirDude helped make some modifications that have become an integral part of my UBB forum, as well as my site as a whole.

Rick #244265 07/18/2011 4:09 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Yeah, me too! The guy's mah hero. See Sd's profile for details.

Originally Posted by MontyPython
Centurion: Where is SirDude of UBB?
SD: You sanctimonious b**tards!
Centurion: I have an order for his release!
SD: You stupid b**tards!
Mr. Cheeky: Uh, I'm SirDude of UBB.
SD: What?
Mr. Cheeky: Yeah, I - I - I'm SirDude of UBB.
Centurion: Take him down!
SD: I'm SirDude of UBB!
Victim #1: Eh? I'm SirDude!
Mr. Big Nose: I'm SirDude!
Victim #2: Look, I'm SirDude!
SD: I'm SirDude!
Victims: I'm SirDude!
Gregory: I'm SirDude, and so's my wife!
Victims: I'm SirDude! I'm SirDude!...
SD: I'm SirDude of UBB!
Centurion: All right. Take him away and release him.
Mr. Cheeky: No, I'm only joking. I'm not really SirDude. No, I'm not SirDude. I was only - It was a joke. I'm only pulling your leg! It's a joke! I'm not him! I'm just having you on! Put me back! Bloody Romans! Can't take a joke!

Rick #244267 07/18/2011 5:36 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
There is only one "The dude"... but SirDude comes pretty close smile

Only one to get a balloon for his birthday here.

I am in luck, in technical view our forum isn't at a standstill, our board is heavely modded, and keeps on changing and adding. I was/am actually kind of afraid for v8 to redo the lot again laugh

I would like some activity on the ubb front, more activity here results in more activity from me.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Rick #244268 07/18/2011 6:01 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
true.. the big lebowski is the real dude laugh

and i remember that balloon quite well !!

Rick #244269 07/18/2011 6:06 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
That was a real nice touch Blaas. laugh

...and look how happy us UBBers were back then.

Rick #244270 07/18/2011 7:50 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Let me tell you this, trying to document some of the features is kind of crazy with little to no documentation (hint at what we're privately working on; outside of whoever owns the product)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Kotonoha #244271 07/18/2011 9:23 PM
L
L Offline
Are you one of the new owners?

No.

If people do not complain then how will things change?

Complaining is one thing, encouraging people to phone someone so they can all complain is crossing a line. If you're going to complain then do it in a nicer way and don't go around trying to spread negativity all over the place.

How will new versions and bug fixes, as well as support happen? By Divine Intervention?

If you're questioning this so badly then are you looking into other options to use for your forum yet? If you still have hope then you should be a little nicer and act a little more professional rather than just complaining and encouraging people to call the owner to complain. Their number may be public, but it doesn't make it right for you to encourage people to abuse that fact.

Who are you, Father Flotski? Who are you to tell me how to act? I noticed you still didn't tell everyone what your url is...and I would also ask, what is wrong with calling someone who does not respond to us on the board? Do you think carrier pigeon would be more low-key than a phone call? Maybe we should all just renew our membership for the next 2 years and keep our mouths shut? Again, what did you say your UBB url was?

Larry Miller #244272 07/18/2011 10:31 PM
stranger
stranger
Again, what did you say your UBB url was?

It's really none of your business and has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. And do you really expect me to post a link because someone very rudely told me to? If so then you're sadly mistaken.

Kotonoha #244273 07/18/2011 10:39 PM
addict
addict
Again, what did you say your UBB url was?

It's really none of your business and has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. And do you really expect me to post a link because someone very rudely told me to? If so then you're sadly mistaken.

For a new user, you're certainly showing to be a trouble maker. All of us who run or did run a forum never had a problem posting the url to our sites. At the moment I don't have a UBB site running, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. This software has had a long and successful run and has a lot of very loyal users. The new owners should be making more visits with updates as to what is going on, even if it's just to say HI we're working as hard as we can.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
Rick #244274 07/18/2011 10:55 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Guys guys, lets be civil here... A few things:
1. No one has to share their URL, it's none of anyone's business. First off, people like their privacy, secondly, whats legal in one country isn't necessarily in another, sharing such things could lead someone who feels one way, to be treated differently due to their sites content.

2. Where I don't agree with leaving us all high and dry, Brooks has a lot on his shoulders; think of it, he just took over a company, it took Rick months to make the same transition. Keep in mind that he has to learn our code, learn the site systems, figure out a plan of attack on current bug patching, as well as identifying what needs to be tackled with v8.

3. Rick PUBLICLY STATED that the focus for v8 was to attack the front end, with the back end coming later. Ofcoarse it's not complete, he did what he said.

4. For a group of grown men, you certainly don't take into account others feelings, I've been here as long, if not longer, than most of you, grow up; attacking people isn't going to do anything for your "cause", it's going to make you look pigheaded.

I've had the privilege to directly know several of the past developers (Ted, Charles, Dave, Rick), code doesn't just *magically* appear, it has to be written, and rewritten, and tested by users, bug checked, etc. This is true in the modifications scene as well; we make mods to help you, to extend features for you, and we do it without requesting a penny.

Several of you are some of the most demanding people I've ever met. And yes, I understand that it's because your business runs on this infrastructure, and time is your money, but give Brooks a little leeway, even if he's got a group of developers or he's a single man show, he's got to learn the current codebase in and out as well as the v8 codebase to just be able to work, let alone have a voice in the forums.

Before I started frequenting these forums it was nothing but the strictest of business user to user discussion (again, support was all handled via helpdesk), myself and several others tried to make this place more than that, to make it a community; now, at the moment of this posting, I'm sorry to admit that I know several of you, you're not making this a safe place to post, you're humiliating yourself and attacking people who're here just seeking information that a user to user discussion forum just isn't going to currently be able to provide.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07/18/2011 11:05 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Rick #244275 07/18/2011 11:06 PM
Addict
Addict
The last thing we should be doing is fighting with each other here. "We" are all we have left, it would appear.

I think Brooks is making a HUGE mistake in not responding to our comments. He isn't giving us any reason to trust him or his plans. This is a business to business situation for many of us, and there needs to be some professionalism from both sides. Ignoring us is unprofessional.

It's good to see that Giz is working on things.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
SteveS #244276 07/18/2011 11:12 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SteveS
It's good to see that Giz is working on things.
Always my friend... Mods, *ahem*documentation*ahem*, support, whatever pops up tongue

SteveS #244277 07/18/2011 11:32 PM
The last thing we should be doing is fighting with each other here. "We" are all we have left, it would appear.

I think Brooks is making a HUGE mistake in not responding to our comments. He isn't giving us any reason to trust him or his plans. This is a business to business situation for many of us, and there needs to be some professionalism from both sides. Ignoring us is unprofessional.

I would agree.

We've been using ubb for ten years now and have been mostly happy with it.
However I find it unprofessional to be left hanging with no response from the new ownership.

I can assure you my customers would expect more from me.

A little communications would go a long way.

Founder/Host
Piano World
https://PianoWorld.com
Home of the world famous Piano Forums.
http://forum.PianoWorld.com
88,000+ registered members
Over 2.5 million posts, and growing...
Rick #244278 07/18/2011 11:35 PM
old hand
old hand
Wow, UBBcentral is starting to resemble a real forum. Arguing, laying blame, difference of opinion, LOL.

This forum has seen more action in the last month than the product has seen in the last year.

As much as I hate to say it - as my entire site revolves around Threads and I love the product - but blame for what we're seeing here (the in-fighting) lies squarely on the new owner.

Spin it any way you want but, we're talking about lack of communication from a product that is based on COMMUNICATION.

With Twitter and Facebook updates coming fast and furious from legit businesses to every nitwit with a smartphone, the lack of updates here is inexcusable. The silence has clearly got a lot of people tweaked and for good reason.

Hey, I'm not jumping ship as I love the product. But as far as its advancement and continued develop, I'll just sit back with the popcorn and watch and wait.

Rick #244279 07/18/2011 11:38 PM
addict
addict
Bah humbug.. I am losing faith in this ownership change as many are, but... I have to admit, many of us have been helping each other through some pretty crazy stuff in the past. I mean between SirDude and Gizmo helping me learn UBB at the beginning, and walking me through it while not making feel like the moron I am, really kept me here. Rick helped me a lot when I was working on something and I broke it. The customer service was always there, even if it wasn't Rick it was Giz or Rueben or SirDude to the rescue...heck to the point now where once in a while I see something I have had to deal with myself and actually try to help out too. It was done for me so I return the favor....if I know it...

I understand the business aspect that you guys are talking about and I understand the frustration that comes with, and we are always freshening up our boards with mods or cool stuff we can do to keep people wanting to come back and visit. I come here daily and read posts and rarely answer (especially in flame bait threads) but really insulting the product, the owners, and each other... well dang guys that is the lowest I have ever seen us stoop.

Dunny

Rick #244281 07/19/2011 3:46 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
I have just purchased Invision Power Board and Ryan from invision has perfected the UBB.threads importer for me.

It has been a bless to work with a real community software for a change.

As I am now using IPB on my test forums, I realise how far behind UBB.Threads actually is.

The never ending promises for a version 8 and lack of communication has pushed me towards IPB and I'm happy to say that at the release of version 3.2.0 we will convert.

Cheers,

Michel

Rick #244282 07/19/2011 12:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Oooh, SD's been promoted. Where's the announcement then? smile

Rick #244283 07/19/2011 3:01 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Oooh - now it's all bow before almighty SD the admin, eh?

Hmmm, hope you don't get admin-itus and go awol for weeks at a time SD laugh laugh laugh

Rick #244284 07/19/2011 3:10 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
No fair, I want to be an admin too :'(

Rick #244285 07/19/2011 3:42 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
SD's just messing with your head mate wink

driv #244286 07/19/2011 3:45 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by driv
Oooh - now it's all bow before almighty SD the admin, eh?

Hmmm, hope you don't get admin-itus and go awol for weeks at a time SD laugh laugh laugh

nope.. i'm really working to pull together features ( new ) and bugfixes ( existing ) into a list of 'stuff for 7.6'

after that ( hopefully soon ) and with some steering committee type input, we ( all forum members ) should be able to see a clear path forward.

admittedly, the transition has been bumpy for { insert your favorite reasons of choice here }, but i see enough inertia with the existing userbase and my love of working with ubbthreads to have no choice but to see if i can step in to help with things.

i'll be posting more as time goes by and things settle..

end goal: v7.6
further goals: 7.6.x's as needed with shorter cycles..

at the same time a course of action on v8 can be discussed and mapped out as well..

this might even allow for a 7.7 to pop up prior.. i'm not that prescient as to the exact future right now laugh

Rick #244287 07/19/2011 3:56 PM
Darn, Got to get the dictionary out.
Multi-syllable words(prescient)are over my head.
LOL
But anyway I know we have good people steering the ship.
So if it takes us to v7.9.9 to get to v 8.0 I am okay with that.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Rick #244288 07/19/2011 4:04 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
On a personal note, confidence levels are rising smile

driv #244289 07/19/2011 4:33 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by driv
On a personal note, confidence levels are rising smile

Uh, no. As much as I love SD this was another case of communication being bungled and poorly handled. What little confidence I had that Brooks could actually handle his business has now gone.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Rick #244290 07/19/2011 4:44 PM
I personally am tired of this post.
It has become a argument post attacking people that are in a predicament that they have no control over.
We have a new ownership that is attempting to improve the service level. While at the same time in a elevated learning curve to understand what the expectations are from us.
Two people posting are detracting from what this forum is about!

Helping others that don't have the ability to help themselves.

Is that not what this forum is all about?

If it is not then I am out of here!
Because I visit this site because many users past gone and still here today, Have helped me and some continue to do so.
I just am attempting to return the same favor to the new people here.

Blue Man Group
Rick #244291 07/19/2011 4:46 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, notice how when people started attacking people how legitimate questions ceased... IMO people flying off the handle are nor making this a very safe/business environment.

Rick #244296 07/19/2011 5:42 PM
veteran
veteran
So...... If Sd is doing a little coding for UBBThreads and is also the mod guru (along with the mighty G of course) will this mean the demise of UBBDev? confused

Rick #244297 07/19/2011 5:47 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I'm not going to comment that there will always be mods needed outside of the stock code because that would be off topic.

Rick #244298 07/19/2011 6:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Plug-ins. That's the way to go. wink

Rick #244299 07/19/2011 6:14 PM
Addict
Addict
The "red ink" is definitely a positive sign, but I'd still like to hear from upper management!

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
ScriptKeeper #244300 07/19/2011 6:14 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
So...... If Sd is doing a little coding for UBBThreads and is also the mod guru (along with the mighty G of course) will this mean the demise of UBBDev? confused
Any mod I ever publish will only be posted on UBBDev; does that answer your question?

SteveS #244301 07/19/2011 6:22 PM
The "red ink" is definitely a positive sign, but I'd still like to hear from upper management!

What does that mean?

Somebody gave the permission rights to SirDude.

Blue Man Group
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29