Discuss

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Looking forward to seeing movement again smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
journeyman
journeyman
I'm just ready for my license. I'm very close to having the money for it. Gotta do some more web design work for people first.

Love to hate, hate to love.
Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
stranger
stranger
Facebook connect and/or user blog would be nice, (Maybe?) tongue

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, I'd love to see some implementation of social logins (Facebook/Twitter primarily). If adding Twitter we could even integrate a twitter plugin to relay the users feed to their profile.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
SirDude, when will you update the 7.6 changelog thread so we have a look at what has been changed, updated, etc.?

Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
enthusiast
enthusiast
Please put API definition in the first priority.
Please DO NOT build-in any 3rd party login system.

With API , every 3rd party login system is possible.
Everyone can implement his/her FB/twitter login system.

I suggest define an OAuth-like authorization system.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks SD for the update on changes. Looks promising with the search function.

I'm so relieved that SirDude is involved and to see where he's taking 7.6. It's looking like a super strong update. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to start posting where we're headed.

It really takes a lot of just offline brain games for me allow things to settle..

THEN it takes time to distill my thoughts into a cogent post or two or three laugh

for all you people who've asked for beta access, i haven't forgotten you either.

i just want to find the best way to do it.

for example: there are certain features that when done, might even be released HERE / LIVE for everyone to see / play with.

i know for certain, that the search feature as installed here is broken ( try advanced search and see laugh )

so i see no reason to _NOT_ both fix it and release the new version here..

so in a way, you are all guinea pigs for certain features as they are deemed solid...

wink

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sirdude
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to start posting where we're headed.

It really takes a lot of just offline brain games for me allow things to settle..

THEN it takes time to distill my thoughts into a cogent post or two or three laugh

for all you people who've asked for beta access, i haven't forgotten you either.

i just want to find the best way to do it.

for example: there are certain features that when done, might even be released HERE / LIVE for everyone to see / play with.

i know for certain, that the search feature as installed here is broken ( try advanced search and see laugh )

so i see no reason to _NOT_ both fix it and release the new version here..

so in a way, you are all guinea pigs for certain features as they are deemed solid...

wink

Will there be a like feature in 7.6 that will allow users to like a post?

journeyman
journeyman
Man oh man, if I could like a post SD your last 2 change posts would be liked.

Addict
Addict
The ship has a rudder.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
journeyman
journeyman
LOL that it does.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Man, reading this just made my day. Glad to see so many of our suggestions incorporated.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Something that jumped off the list at me: Adding users to an existing private topic opens a wide gamut of privacy concerns.

I would never ever post to or even read a private topic if I knew that another person could be added afterwards.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
Something that jumped off the list at me: Adding users to an existing private topic opens a wide gamut of privacy concerns.

I would never ever post to or even read a private topic if I knew that another person could be added afterwards.

I agree 100%, the only way I would think of liking it is if only the person who created the topic can add, a notification in the pm was made that xxxx was added, and the newly added cannot look back through the topic.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
by the time 7.7 feature set is solid, this can probably be decided to add or discard.

i was spitballing, based upon requests for it in the past.

so, i guess there needs to be back/forth on the issue, which is fine with me wink

_NOT_ adding it is much easier anyway laugh

edit: i can think of a case that would not present an issue. person creates a PM.. adds 5 users to it.. hits send...

then does a face palm and wants to make it 6 users.. he's screwed.. so there are times when it would be desireable. and not broach any privacy concerns

Addict
Addict
Another "NO" vote for "adds" to private threads.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
edit: i can think of a case that would not present an issue. person creates a PM.. adds 5 users to it.. hits send...

then does a face palm and wants to make it 6 users.. he's screwed.. so there are times when it would be desireable. and not broach any privacy concerns

Delete, start over. You're adding features to make life easier, not to predict and make up for human fallibility. smile

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd like to see it added, however only the original author can add to it... Perhaps add a check to see how many posts are in the topic and if more than a few it won't allow?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
well -- we won't visit it until 7.7, so maybe we're beating a currently dead horse anyway

we're adding other things to 7.6 as well wink

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I would certainly welcome finer grained control of the sidebars but I understand that might be a fairly large request.

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
As far as sidebars I would like to see perms applied for reg and guest to at least active topics and posts. Some communities want people to be registered before displaying certain forums. The active topics and posts ignore perms and there for become useless for sites that need that.

addict
addict
I definately agree that I don't think I like the add a person to a private topic, but I really do like the idea of what gliderdad has said there. It is a pita for me if I want to use that because half of my forums are restricted to all but about 10 people. So I can't really use the active topic discussion one..

Dunny

addict
addict
Originally Posted by David Dreezer

Delete, start over. You're adding features to make life easier, not to predict and make up for human fallibility. smile

Personally, I find the ability to add people very handy at times. You shouldn't be discussing things with someone anyway if you think there is a possibility that person might add the name of someone you're gabbing about. In my opinion it should be left, but changed so that you can disable or enable it to your own likes. Why take something away that another uses all the time? I used it quite frequently to discuss different ideas of what I want to do with the forums and only want a certain few to know about it in the early stages. Much easier than created yet another "admin" or "moderator" type group for only a couple of people. Just my 2 cents worth.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
addict
addict
Exactly. Do not have it so anyone in the conversation can add as that could result in some embarrassing moments.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
lol -- well i reiterate

we won't do anything until 7.7 on this anyway wink

N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Forums:

A forum can be created that is a LINK forum.

This means that there is no real content inside that forum, but the forum name serves to link to whatever URL has been defined.

Additionally, prior to actually taking the user to the destination, a hit is logged to the DB to count 'redirects' for forum display ( cfrm ) purposes

If I understand you correctly Sirdude, when you click on the defined URL it will take you to that forum page containing the defined website, a kind of implementation of a browser engine which allows you to display the URL within the forum post. If not then could this be something that could be added to your 7.6 list.......

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
K
K Offline
"Searching will allow by topic only or by body only, but not both"

>> Don't see the real reason. If it's speed-related then why not add as info "this will cause a slow search"

"since people rarely change the subject or the posting icon"

>> Indeed, we even edit that feature out. Would it be possible to make these items optional? Also as standard, even when removing ALL icons from the CP, you always have the option of a blank or the book.gif. It'd be nice to actually be able to limit to one single icon (and then not show the choice). (It's just we don't want a christmas tree forum.)

Oh and... good luck executing those plans in the time frame you've set yourselves. I would be extremely impressed.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I would love the opportunity to disable .sigs for newbies, at least until they've had a certain number of posts. Then at least the spammers will have to post actual spam in their posts, not secretly in their .sigs.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I would love the opportunity to disable .sigs for newbies, at least until they've had a certain number of posts. Then at least the spammers will have to post actual spam in their posts, not secretly in their .sigs.

That is possible already.

With site permissions you can set the maximum length of the signature, and you can upgrade them to a group when they reach a certain amount of posts that allows a signature.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
SD, a few things on the SEO topic which I'm sure you have on your list but I'm going to repeat them anyways are the use of rel canonical tags and missing meta descriptions. I'm not sure how to handle the later on multiple pages. Might need to see how the other modern boards handle this.

I also think that trying to mod_rewrite the urls so they are shorter, maybe sans the ubbthreads.php/topics would be wise too, as a lot of attention is going into shorter semantic urls.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"Previous Management" (ala Groupee) deemed that it had to stay "ubbthreads.php" for "brand awareness"... I'm not sure how current ownership feels about that however...

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I'm not sure what the right answer to this is, but I'd like to be able to drilldown pages by forum in GA. Since the forum is neither in either the title or url it's not possible to do this.

I think adding a GA section in the admin would be nice. I believe one way of doing this is with custom variables. You could have the variable change by forum. You could also have a variable for logged in and logged out. Then do all the analysis with custom segments.

I know this seems like a lot of hokus pokus but the reality is for a large forum with a lot of different traffic sources these analysis can be useful.

Maybe I can do this as a plugin. SD?

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I've created a small hack to do what I described above. I'll post a link to a tutorial tonight.

Sysop
Sysop
I don't think the "ubbthreads.php" is needed....

Last edited by UBBSystems; 08/29/2011 9:48 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
I don't think the "ubbthreads.php" is needed....

Would be great to have ubbthreads.php eliminated so please oh please Sirdude, eliminate it from the address.

SD
Former Developer
Former Developer
well, it will probably have to be optioned

some peeps love their perceived SEO, based upon pre-crawled uri's

soooooo... i'm all for hiding it ala the way wordpress and MANY sites now do.. but there may be those who want to hold on to the old way for dear life too

laugh

Sysop
Sysop
agreeed,we can't have any bad URL's as a result.... not a real priority as this point...

Last edited by UBBSystems; 08/30/2011 6:08 AM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29