Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#244914 08/14/2011 12:48 PM
R
R Offline
We have moved from Network Solutions to a VDS on godaddy. Yes, we know about mindraven, we just wanted a bit more control than mindraven would have allowed us. smile

Now we seemed to have stepped in it. It isn't too bad, but it is annoying for us. Our issue has reached their top guy who works in the President's office. We are due to talk to him this coming Tuesday or so and I would like to solicit comment from the talented group here before we engage.

At odd hours of the day or night - and especially in the wee hours of the morning, we see the following by any given member:

Member writes a post - clicks send. The post is written to the database immediately. The return page can take OVER 60 seconds to get back to the poster. At other times, the return is super fast. We never saw this on a a cheap web deal with NS. We do see that we are using up to 800Mb of our 1Gb of RAM.

We have gone over our configuration with a fine tooth comb.

Any comments?

Larry

razor_head #244915 08/14/2011 2:31 PM
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
I don't understand why you would do business with that prick. Do a search for Bob Parson's hunting to find out what an outstanding human being he is.

We run on Dreamhost. They are very knowledgable and have always been responsive. We ran on a shared account up until a couple years ago, went to a VPS, and now on a dedicated. You can unmanage your VPS and have full control of it. If you change to them let me know so I can get my bonus (I think it's $97). I'll donate it to a charity of your choice from their list, and Dreamhost will not only match it but quadruple match it.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
razor_head #244916 08/14/2011 3:08 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've rewritten this paragraph about 20 times with trying to not have to say "Godaddy sucks". When I've used them for Hosting or SSL I've always got the shaft; IMO they spread themselves too thin, but my major gripe is their crap customer service... I'm sure you'll be able to find a fanboy or people who just outright hate them for a Google search, but my opinion will always be, that the issue is them lol... Especially if you're on one of their oversold servers (which is what resource usage boils down to).

Now, if I had the cash, the most professional web host we ever used when dealing with 30 dedicated servers was Hurricane Electric and Voxel, their staff tends to get on the ball and their bread and butter is VPS' and Dedicated Servers..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
razor_head #244917 08/14/2011 3:45 PM
I have never used GoDaddy.
But I would bet if you had elected Mindraven. The issue would have been resolved already.

I know you are looking for some pointers to challenge them with but...

So by chance even though you are not a Mindraven customer. I would think that if you contacted Rick he might be willing to point you in the right direction. Hoping to get a future customer.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
razor_head #244919 08/14/2011 4:30 PM
R
R Offline

Thanks guys. Yes, oversold is our conclusion. That said, when we were going through the list of hosts possible when we decided to get rid of Network Solutions - a pick that was made before anyone with any technical ability was part of our site's demographic, godaddy gave us the most professional responses of anyone we talked to.

Uh, that should have been a red alert, but it wasn't.

*sigh*

We might well have picked mindraven, except Rick runs a managed service and our future plans include integrating WordPress - in the works right now - and other stuff that just did not fit a managed service deal. We now have some pretty good techs associated with our deal - which does not include me. My deal is to pin ears back when needed, and right now godaddy is playing CYA because of that.

I will take a look at Dreamhost, although we are really not much on moving again if we can help it.

Larry

razor_head #244920 08/14/2011 5:44 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:snicker: you don't have to hire your host to do managing for you; there are quite a few techs in the area that can do updates to the server for you wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
razor_head #244924 08/14/2011 7:18 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
you can install Wordpress on a managed server. i don't get what the problem with Mindraven was that would preclude that.

just go to your cPanel fro Mindraven, create a DB, add a user to that DB, remember login details.

FTP in, upload wordpress. do the famous '5 minute install' ( more like 30 secs ) and you are done

:shrug:

razor_head #244926 08/14/2011 10:48 PM
R
R Offline

For whatever reason, our Goddess of all things technical wants control all the way down to the root. She saw mindraven was "managed" and that was a "No thank you."

Me, I don't care, I just want software that works and a hosting contract where we get what we pay for. In my mind, that means some relationship between the amount of RAM we have and how much processor power we can reliably count on.

Right now I am playing roast tech with the godaddy bunch. The first line techs at godaddy really try to help, it is the second level that wants to pee on my leg and call it sweat. It's as if they work for two different companies.

They started talking to me about "Design" factors and how they have a department to manage their servers and I shot back, "Oh, then your people would understand Erlang and Poison probability tables and how to use them."

crickets.

Larry

Gizmo #244927 08/14/2011 10:56 PM
R
R Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
:snicker: you don't have to hire your host to do managing for you; there are quite a few techs in the area that can do updates to the server for you wink

Yeah I know Gizmo. We have talked about it. Once we see the next generation of UBB, we are gonna see what we need to do that we just can't live without.

Larry

razor_head #244929 08/14/2011 11:37 PM
R
R Offline

I am curious about something.

Processor load is processor load, right? So in terms of your basic average web site, how much load does UBB put on the server and RAM?

I have no idea how to quantify that question, just that it is one; question, I mean. smile

One of the issues at godaddy is that their email processing sucks. And just from watching UBB do a post, it looks as if part of the process is to check to see if an email(s) need to be sent out before the page is reconstructed and sent back.

Is that right?

I am not sure that the problem with godaddy is actually overselling their hardware. Part of their problem may in fact be their optimization software package and port priorities - what is that called, SHAPE process?

Their additional services such as FTP, Plesk, SSH and putty all show significant delays - at times.

For sure, we are gonna bump up to cPanel. That much is certain from the research we have been doing to find out how we managed to get in this pickle barrel. We ran out of room on NS so quickly, that we really didn't have enough time to due diligence like we should have.

Maybe this thread will warn someone down the road.

Larry

razor_head #244930 08/15/2011 12:42 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, if you guys want a dedicated to full root get a dedicated server or an unmanaged vps...

And I'm running 512mb ram on a vps just fine with a handful of sites. I doubt you'd need a full dedicated server for just one site, so a vps should likely be fine

razor_head #244931 08/15/2011 4:07 AM
addict
addict
Well I run threads, an IRC server and two other website off my personal server here. I have a couple of tweaks to keep the network traffic balanced etc. but all in all seems to run really smooth even on a standard business connection from my ISP. My site isn't as big as some of these others here, so that may also play into it. (I had over 100 budai spiders last night, and about 15 people scrolling and never saw a hiccup) and I know several others here with huge sites that don't have issues with bandwidth and they run it from their houses as well.

Dunny

razor_head #244932 08/15/2011 6:30 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Although I tried a VPS (with Go Daddy) I certainly don't need one but for me, this is not the issue. Performance IS. I too was originally using Networks Solutions and my site was very slow on most days not to mention the frequent down time. Then I switched to Go Daddy which was only a slight improvement. I found them difficult to deal with as my knowledege is limited. Now I am just using a standard business plan with Lunar Pages and I have had no problems in about three years... and my sites are all pretty speedy and reliable went down once in three years. Happy camper here! Don't know how thier dedicated servers are but I have zero complaints.

(Just adding my experience in case it matters) smile

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
razor_head #244934 08/15/2011 9:30 AM
R
R Offline
forddoctor

Your experience is valuable. Thank you. Were you on a VPS on godaddy? And for the record, what product are you using with Lunar Pages?

Larry

razor_head #244935 08/15/2011 9:36 AM
R
R Offline

One of the issues we think is going on is that godaddy has problems with its email servers. As I may have mentioned, a post generates a process in UBB to send out emails prior to a return of the page for the poster.

The delay in the return of the page that can exceed 60 seconds, may be associated with email - if our observation and guess as to the way UBB works is correct.

Of course someone who knows UBB Threads code better than we do can obviously set us straight.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com
summers.jl@gmail.com

razor_head #244936 08/15/2011 1:24 PM
Sysop
Sysop
We have quite a few servers in an Atlanta Datacenter, we accommodate whatever is needed, send me a PM and we can set you up with something...

thanks!

Attachments
IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5959.JPG

Last edited by UBBSystems; 08/15/2011 1:33 PM.
FordDoctor #244937 08/15/2011 1:52 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by FordDoctor
Now I am just using a standard business plan with Lunar Pages and I have had no problems in about three years... and my sites are all pretty speedy and reliable went down once in three years. Happy camper here! Don't know how thier dedicated servers are but I have zero complaints.

i've had a dedicated with Lunarpages for over 3 years now. full control with WHM/cpanel.

Love them smile

also, their advertised rates are only a starting point. i just deal with their sales guy and negotiate the price.

of course, you can't negotiate the monthly price, but if you opt to pay for quarter / half / full year, the price comes down wink

razor_head #244939 08/15/2011 2:49 PM
I also used Lunarpages for a few years and really had no issues on a regular shared hosting plan. But I did have some questions.
The only real issue was you were better off calling than submitting a support ticket. There response time is a few hours and then of course they ask a question so then the circle begins.
I switched to mindraven not for the price which was like only a dollar less per month. But I figured that his services would be optimized for UBB and of course if there was a issue with UBB it would be one call for both the ubb and the hosting service.
But anyway I have had good service from both.

Blue Man Group
UBBSystems #244940 08/15/2011 3:11 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
We have quite a few servers in an Atlanta Datacenter, we accommodate whatever is needed, send me a PM and we can set you up with something...

thanks!
:snicker: if only I wasn't broke tongue

UBBSystems #244941 08/15/2011 3:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

thanks!

Are my eyes deceiving me or are all of the redundant power supplies on the top few servers all plugged into the right hand PDU? And all of the bottom servers into the left PDU?

[edit, there is no left side PDU, my mistake]

+1 for all the kvm. That's spendy, but nice to have.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 08/15/2011 3:39 PM.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
razor_head #244942 08/15/2011 3:38 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Actually, are my eyes deceiving me or do I see that some of those redundant power supplies do not even have power cords attached?

SD #244946 08/15/2011 5:02 PM
R
R Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
Originally Posted by FordDoctor
Now I am just using a standard business plan with Lunar Pages and I have had no problems in about three years... and my sites are all pretty speedy and reliable went down once in three years. Happy camper here! Don't know how thier dedicated servers are but I have zero complaints.

i've had a dedicated with Lunarpages for over 3 years now. full control with WHM/cpanel.

Love them smile

also, their advertised rates are only a starting point. i just deal with their sales guy and negotiate the price.

of course, you can't negotiate the monthly price, but if you opt to pay for quarter / half / full year, the price comes down wink

We have been known to pay two years out for the best deal - or even more if the deal is good enough.

They are pricey though.

Larry

razor_head #244947 08/15/2011 5:46 PM
Addict
Addict
I was with Hostway (dedicated server) for a long time. Their service, especially support, was deteriorating. Rapidly. When Rick came up with Mindraven's dedicated servers, I ended up switching. The price is roughly the same, but I am more comfortable with Rick at the helm.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
razor_head #244948 08/15/2011 6:14 PM
Yeah, Mindraven hosts my site.

Very happy too!

smile

David Dreezer #244949 08/15/2011 7:19 PM
All I know is what Mr. Mom says.
220 or 221 what ever it takes.
If I had issues with a hosting service I would be looking elsewhere.

Blue Man Group
razor_head #244950 08/15/2011 8:35 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Haha, who's Mr. Mom... :hides:

David Dreezer #244953 08/16/2011 6:04 AM
Sysop
Sysop

some people don't want to pay for the extra outlet.....

UBBSystems #244956 08/16/2011 1:07 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
some people don't want to pay for the extra outlet.....

ewwwwwwwww frown

Gizmo #244959 08/16/2011 5:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Haha, who's Mr. Mom... :hides:
I guess some of you have never seen the movie Mr. Mom.
Staring Michael Keaton

Blue Man Group
razor_head #244961 08/16/2011 7:30 PM
M
M Offline
Ruben,

Apparently, you can I are the only ones old enough to remember that one. grin

Was it really that long ago? Ouch.

razor_head #244962 08/16/2011 7:59 PM
Addict
Addict
I remember it!

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
razor_head #244966 08/16/2011 9:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I saw it, in fact i have it on dvd somewhere lol..

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29