Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#245540 09/18/2011 12:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Hi everyone,

I merge topics every now and then since users on our board seem to have a hard time realizing that threads on Red Cars should go under the forum Red Cars. (Example).

I have no issue with moving a topic to the line that says:

Move topic to [whatever forum]

I am a little confused on the one that says:

Merge topic with Post# __________

I am sure it is obvious, but does this mean it will move the topic directly below the numbered post?

Are there any caveats to moving posts?

Am I just knocking my head against the wall given users will just post where they want anyway?

Thanks.

Last edited by Bert; 09/18/2011 12:47 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of merging

UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll
Bert #245543 09/18/2011 12:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
addict
addict
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
Well forum organization is a huge part of keeping things in some semblance of order. I usually merge/blend posts to keep things on track. It is tedious (but I usually pm the user to explain why it was moved (or I leave a marker). Kept up with many posters get the idea.

You can move it directly below a post, or you can just merge it into the correct forum. Either way works and the caveat is that you have your board organized for when you have a guest that comes in and usually came by a search engine and they can go directly to the forum/posts they are looking for, without going crazy going between 800 posts (especially if your board is active).

Hope this helps..

Dunny

Bert #245545 09/18/2011 12:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 386
Yes, it does. For me, I find it is safer to just move it to the correct forum. The posts are kind of out of order anyway when you place it in the current thread.

I lost a post once (actually mine -- and it was a very long and good post -- nothing to do with medicine). I suppose I could do a backup of the board. But, to restore the entire board for the sake of one thread seems rather risky.

Sometimes I think users need reminders. There is a setting where the next time they log in, they have to mark off that they read it. Personally, I don't find that too much of a nuisance if used sparingly. Problem is, I do that, and then the owner/admin changes it. I guess a lack of communication. Irritating since he relies on my to edit the board full time. If I weren't around potential users would be waiting for approval for weeks.

Frustrating thing about it is the topic of the forum doesn't interest me in the least. But, a number of users asked for the forum so I set it up. But, to be fair, it is not those users that are posting off topic.


UBB version 7.5.8
php version 5.4.22
MySQL version 5.5.36-cll

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)