Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#245677 09/22/2011 8:48 AM
R
R Offline
Has anyone used the "Thank you" function with success or failure?

We are thinking about turning it on as a test. No sure how it works. Just an idea. I have noticed that vB users have it turned on a lot. Possibly that is because those who push the button are attributed and there is a limit of how many times a day this can be done.

Larry

Last edited by razor_head; 09/22/2011 8:57 AM.
addict
addict
Dang razor I didn't even know there was a thank you button.... I have never seen it... I am going to look for it now.

Dunny

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
You're not alone Dunny.

Actually, I don't think there is such a feature, is there? confused

A
AVC Offline
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I have always hated the thank you module on vBulletin, I now also hate the 'like' feature now days.

There is no such thing as a Thank You feature in UBB.
At least not in stock code.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
R Offline

Well, there are member ratings and the one through five star deal, neither of them is a real "Thank you" that vBulletin has used with such success. Perhaps that is something that can be dropped into a future version.

So I found after I posted the above question.

Again, from what I can learn after doing more research (should have before posting my initial question), this is a buy me decision for VB as opposed to UBB.

Larry

A
AVC Offline
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I don't think 'thank you' was ever stock in vB, it was an add on module hack.

To get back to my original comment, 'thank you' and 'like' stamp modules suck because instead of posting to a thread and adding content to a thread members get lazy and press a button to say I like or thanks.

This is stupid in my opinion.

R
R Offline
Thank AVG for sharing your observations.

We have had a robust discussion on the issue in one of the threads on our forum. We, including me, have done some research on the subject as well in terms of forums that engage in more controversial subjects like we do.

Right now, on my wish list is to do a thirty or sixty day experiment doing it so we can make a decision based on what we know rather than what we think we know.

What we do know is that we see a lot a "I agree with" posts that only clutter up threads as opposed to moving them forward toward practical advice. We also see a lot of "Groups" who promote each others advice and also add to the clutter that someone who is looking for help has to wade through.

What I also know is that the vBulletin forums that have the function activated seem to run just fine, at least from my observation. In fact, on one very busy forum which can hit 2,000 posts in a day and which handles a somewhat controversial subject, I have a friend who has posted for years.

He has provided me with enough comment and observation that I am inclined to think it would be an experiment worth trying. I have also been told that some of the folks who buy vB do so for that exact function.

We are not so much interested in the level of activity as we are in the quality and diversity of the advice. We do very well in terms of post activity, so that is not an issue with us.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

journeyman
journeyman
razor_head, sending you a PM.

With the growth of Facebook, many people would enjoy having some of the same features such as "Like". Many of my members would enjoy it because they don't post Hey I like your picture, but would use the "Like" button. I don't care about post counts, I only care to have a happy active group. I know on FB many people Like and post, so I see the same type of activity happening with a feature on a forum.

journeyman
journeyman
If anyone is interested in getting a group deal on the Mod for the "Like" option please PM me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 446 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29