Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#246079 09/29/2011 4:52 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 34
S
newbie
newbie
S Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 34
We're running 7.5.5 and I don't see it listed as an option to give the users the option to use their username or email for a login.

AM I missing it, or is it not an option. I've been getting a few people having login username vs display name issues.

; )

Shawn

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
There is not a option.
To login you provide the user name and password.
For lost/fogotten login info.
You provide your user name or email to be notified of a temporary reset.
When the member is notified via email they will get the user name and a temporary password. The temporary password is not needed if the member recalls the original password and just forgot the user name.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
When v7 first came out there was an option for everyone to use their email address or their login name, it was either one or the other when registering, option set by admin. That option was removed in one of the first few updates.

I do think the text "User Name" should be switched to login name though to avoid confusion.

Last edited by gliderdad; 09/29/2011 5:34 PM.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Probably should be. But there are a lot of keys to update in the language files.
And I think some place it is hard coded.
%%USERNAME%%


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Yea would def take some sorting to get it all changed over wink

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 34
S
newbie
newbie
S Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 34
Thanks Guys.

I agree with Gliderdad. changing "User Name" to "Login Name" would be a clearer way to go.

As for logging in, I'd think the email as login keeps things simple for the end user in terms of remembering, and not having a user name/display name mix up.

Are there any pro that having a separate user(login)name gives us?

Best,

Shawn

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
FWIW, I do like Login Name vs Username; just a little wordlet change that anyone can update after the fact though...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)