Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
journeyman
journeyman
E Offline
Hey just a thought,

If we ban someone, even temporarily it would be nice if there was something to say they were banned that was visible to the entire board.

People get banned and they someone will always show up and try to reply to them expecting an answer, meanwhile they are banned.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
spam post cleanup

/end

journeyman
journeyman
It is sad that v8 has to wait but I agree with the lot when a slow and steady path is the way to get a quality product released.

I'm glad the staff keep the public so up to date unlike other forum software sites. They could learn a thing or two.

Love to hate, hate to love.
Cowards taste of death many times, heroes taste of death but once. ~William Shakespeare
D
D Offline
hey, howsit goin. love hearing about the mobile stuffs. considering the majority of my checkins are via iphone now, it'd make life a heckuva lot simpler smile

one question that i honestly have no idea how to search for if it's already been discussed...

my forum (rkmbs.com) is ginormous. i loathe the mere thought of pruning posts, despite running it for about 11 years now. i was told once by ... maybe sirdude? AA? that the database grows exponentially, because every post is actually saved twice: once as an editable post and once as an archive. something like that, anyway.

my question, assuming any of the above is correct... is there a way planned in 7.6 (or maybe 8.0) to address that? perhaps an admin tool that would allow admins to "commit" posts by date. in other words, if i have a single thread that spans 5 years, i could "close" the beginning of the thread so that it is no longer editable, but still allow newer posts and future replies the privelage.

again, not that my concern is in the ability to edit -- i just want to find ways to decrease the mysql database size (even compressed i'm over 200MB) without losing discussions.

D
D Offline

One more suggestion:

Display [censored] words in the post preview so users have the opportunity to reword their post.

1) Fix for the IE "can't stay logged-in" error.

2) URLs that contain a tilde do not auto-link.

3) Archiving.

4) Move the breadcrumb trail and make smaller.

Most of the other custom features SirDude has already implemented on our forums would be helpful to others. We're getting ready to redo the header as a mega-menu instead of individual links. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

Last edited by guod; 08/09/2011 5:09 PM. Reason: added more to the request list

guod@simhq [dot] com

twitter.com/SimHQ
youtube.com/SimHQcom
livestream.com/SimHQ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
URLs should pass through urlencode then any valid characters would get picked up

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
it's the bbcode.inc.php parser's regex ( 2 of em ) that need changing for #2

addict
addict
Hi SirDude. This might be a silly question, but is there a projected feature list for 7.6? I have looked but it's hiding I think.

I've been a loyal supporter of UBB for many years, but if it doesn't make provisions for mobile real soon, my users will jump ship. I'm pretty desperate for this one feature and would even take a mod if someone has done one.

I'm also with Giz regarding user profiles - they really need some work. And blogs.

But my most immediate need is mobile. And a feature list. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, at least the user home in classic was like a biography on the user... on here it's just wasted space...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Rose
Hi SirDude. This might be a silly question, but is there a projected feature list for 7.6? I have looked but it's hiding I think.

I've been a loyal supporter of UBB for many years, but if it doesn't make provisions for mobile real soon, my users will jump ship. I'm pretty desperate for this one feature and would even take a mod if someone has done one.

I'm also with Giz regarding user profiles - they really need some work. And blogs.

But my most immediate need is mobile. And a feature list. smile

Anyone? smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah.. read my 7.6 thread here

those are thing being put into it smile

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Anything in regards to spam? Not sure if a captcha or trivia question @ registration would solve our issue, but our forum has recently been getting hit hard with spam registration/posts...

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by Chevy454
Anything in regards to spam? Not sure if a captcha or trivia question @ registration would solve our issue, but our forum has recently been getting hit hard with spam registration/posts...

You can turn on captcha in registration currently. There is a mod over at ubbdev https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbth...0Forum%20Spam%20Integrat.html#Post318736 for stop forum spam as well that works great

Last edited by gliderdad; 09/21/2011 9:54 AM.
old hand
old hand
it is now between 6-8 weeks.

Looking for a ETA date... please..

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
old hand
old hand
any update at all?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
we're delayed right now with the latest issues that came up

also, we are going to add some more security checks in the standard stock code.

when things settle down with the latest patch cycle and upgrades, then i will be more definitive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I appreciate the need that some people have for NEW features, such as accessing their Forum via a handheld device... but GADS ZOOKS -- I just want some of the CURRENT features to work as they should. frown

Can you spell S-E-A-R-C-H-?

I read the thread that listed the upgraded "search" features and they sound great! Exactly what we've waited 2 (maybe 3?) years for.

I would vote for an immediate upgrade which "fixes" existing features and hold off on any new features for a follow-on release. Just my .02 representing my 9,000 users.

--BIll B
Well I tend to agree that the search feature needs a lot of attention.
I for one use it to the extreme.
And I have patiently waited for it to be addressed as well.
The current security hole found has taken precedence over all bug fixes or enhancements.
It is a big security risk. And needs to be addressed immediately.

What good is a bug fix or enhancement if some jerk found a way to destroy your forum.

I just hope the delay is a minor one. And we move on soon.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben
What good is a bug fix or enhancement if some jerk found a way to destroy your forum.
+1

journeyman
journeyman
smile

old hand
old hand
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?

smile

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Just a little further

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline

old hand
old hand
am still feeling..... Left Behind...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I know the reasoning behind the lack of updates (the security patches, having to go file by file, line by line ensuring everything is in order, having to patch client sites, etc) though I really am with you all, I'm a creature that needs to know how things are progressing, even if smoke is just being blown up my keister...

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from clubadventist.com]

S
S Offline
Question: Is version 8 finished yet?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
Question: Is version 8 finished yet?
Well, 7.6 is on the road map well before v8; and since it hasn't been delivered yet due to the huge security issues covered by the latest patch (as well as patching client sites), short answer "no".

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
So who knows why the V8 change log and all of the other threads dealing with discussing V8 have been moved to an inaccessible location?

State of V8 discussion --> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/237941.html#Post237941

A V8 Update discussion --> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/240505.html#Post240505

Version 8 Change log --> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/226752

An Update on Version 8 --> https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/226753

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I am guessing since v8 was put on hold and 7.6 is what is being worked on that's why they were removed, this way 7.6 is the focus.

Maybe they have noted changes to some of the implementations for v8 Rick wrote and those posts would no longer apply. We will have to see what Brooks says, I can only guess.

Last edited by gliderdad; 11/02/2011 2:14 PM.
S
S Offline
Hey Brooks,

When can we see a release for UBB threads version 8?

Yours truly,

ShiftKnowledge

:crickets:

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
I appreciate the need that some people have for NEW features, such as accessing their Forum via a handheld device... but GADS ZOOKS -- I just want some of the CURRENT features to work as they should. frown

Can you spell S-E-A-R-C-H-?

I read the thread that listed the upgraded "search" features and they sound great! Exactly what we've waited 2 (maybe 3?) years for.

I would vote for an immediate upgrade which "fixes" existing features and hold off on any new features for a follow-on release. Just my .02 representing my 9,000 users.

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Randarand,

I agree! I am just happy to sense perhaps this software is still alive and viable going forward. I have 20K users and have been using the software since 2000, but would have a lot more if it was up to date with every other site and board out there. I was shocked to see an actual change here. I look forward to hearing about anything positive going forward.

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29