Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hi,

I need to force a user/s to log off?

Ive created a flaming room or Holding which ever way you want to see it, this is so i can restrict access only to this single forum until they receive advice guidance to carry on the main forums.

The Problem !
Is that if i add this user to the "Restricted Access" Group, and then they don't log out then they don't get to see the flaming room or advice they just continue as though nothing has changed.

This has come about as members just ride out a ban, but it does not give us the chance to get to the bottom of any confusion, as its getting to the point where 1 members says these are the rules and before you know it everyone thinks its a new rule.

So is there anything i can do to force a member to log out and in again ?

Updating there account with a new group does not work.
I dont want to get everyone to log in and out all the time.
Only the users that i need to access the Flaming room.

Thank you.

Mark

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
You can change the cookie prefix temporarily or cookie expiration time. Doing this will log out all users though. CP->Primary Settings->Advanced, its at the bottom.

addict
addict
Just thinking outside the box a bit... and probably a little extra work...

Maybe by taking permissions from other groups? I.E. removing them from the user group.

This may be something SD can look into adding in the update. Just seems bugged that if I ban someone and they do not log out, that they would still have access until their cookies expire?

No The BAN works as expected.

Its the adding them to a new group they get no change until they log in and out.

I wonder if becoming this user then logging out when that user that would invoke a forced log out.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
addict
addict
Ahh I misunderstood I apologize

Originally Posted by gliderdad
You can change the cookie prefix temporarily or cookie expiration time. Doing this will log out all users though. CP->Primary Settings->Advanced, its at the bottom.

No i need to log out those as and when.

If i had to do it for all, they would get pretty annoyed as half probably cant rememeber there login details anyway. lol

Even if i have to go via the Database i dont mind but its something i need to do, with my forum trouble makers and multiple accounts is now a problem. And showing the software's limitations. Or how we need more control over users accounts.

They dont like notifying as its a one way street and think its always being ignored.

Any other way to force a user to log out ?
even if its at there next click. Page change.
Next submit :

Just something so the new group kicks in.
so if they didnt even have to log out would be better, but its the only way i know at the moment to make the account update to user groups.

Mark

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
M
mig Offline
M Offline
Hi Mark, I'm sure that you know way more than I do, so not sure this will be of any help... however, I think the new user group will kick in as soon as they make 1 new post (which perhaps is what you'd like to avoid). I also believe that becoming this user and then logging out would do the trick... I know that eliminates the unread posts indicators (or it used to in past), so it would seem logical?

From what i gather from what's happening with members is that they do have to log out for changes to be made with reference to the groups. Ive experienced it with a + Account with payment via pay pal some members saying that they haven't got the + Options, and then i tell them to log in and out and its all good. So i do know that there next post does not cycle a group update it is a physical log out log in that cycles the changes from the user point of view.

Ive just tried the Log Out being that users so i will come back and let you know if that did or didn't work, but i don't think it will.

You see it all falls down if i user uses the same computer all the time and never logs out. I'm guessing but the Ban status is checked every post click or page update, but if that can force a group update that would work for me as a temp fix.

This is part of my defence with trouble makers as the normal ban / private message just dont seem to work. This is the next step for me, but i do remember years ago, someone "Like" SD saying they had a Flaming forum and they would just have out there differences in there and that would be that. Problem is if they don't log in and out as it works right now, there is no way of them seeing a flaming forum.

Scratches head for more possible solutions.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Become that User :
Log out :

Does not update the Group Status. (no Change)

Maybe Forcing a user to log out isn't the way forward?
Maybe show me a way to force a Group update on a user ?

Thanks Mark

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
M
mig Offline
M Offline
So neither worked! That is interesting to learn, Mark. Hmm, awhile ago, we set up a private forum for users with >150 posts and waited, watching as users came online and gained access. At first they couldn't see it (we PM'd to ask some individuals) but as soon as they posted once, that seemed to do the trick. Maybe by coincidence, they happened to be users that had all logged out and in... but I don't think(?) so. Now you have me puzzling about this all over again! lol

Another possible solution for handling trouble-makers might be to set up a separate 'moderated' user-group with restricted permissions, where posts require a moderators approval? It can be a time consuming task for moderators, and often their posts may have to sit waiting in the queue... but take away immediate posting privileges and the trouble-makers might learn quickly! It is like a semi-ban stage.

I don't know how to force a group update, so am curious too.

Ive done a little testing of my own.

Im doing the group changes in Firefox
and a user account using IE 9

The changes update imedaitly on the next screen change as the user.

But !
I have a member posting at noon when the group changes were made at 10 am. I did contact this person and they confirmed that they did log in and out. So i'm now thinking it could be browser dependant (Not sure).

Work in progress.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
M
mig Offline
M Offline
That sounds plausible! It seems unlikely to matter which browser you were using to make changes (I was using FF), but when they take effect may depend on the user's browser/settings, possibly?

FF has been falling down, imo. Lastest update improved things but it still has probs, I think.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29