Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#247924 01/14/2012 1:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Hi to All,

I have a quetion relating to the maximium file size that can be uploaded. I have moderators that wish to upload pdf (manuals) files which are over 8MB and I am at a loss as to where I can increase the size.

In the CP/General/Primary/Topic Display I am able to increase the image file size but not the file upload size.

If someone can point me in the correct direction as to where I might be able to increase the pdf file upload size it would be appreciated.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
CP -> Forum Permissions -> Maximum size of file attachments


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Also, you may not be able to upload a file that large if your php.ini is not set to allow that. You can check the php info in the cp, look for upload_max_filesize.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Ok checked the upload file max size and it is only 10M we require 40M. Do I just change the php.ini file?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yup; you may run into the php max execute time as well...

Last edited by Gizmo; 01/14/2012 5:28 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Hi guys,

This is all that is in the php.ini file:
memory_limit = 16M

max_execution_time


do I just change the memory limit?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
By default max_execution_time is usually 30 seconds; for wanting 40mb for the php memory limit "memory_limit" then I'd set the max exec to 60 or so...

I think I have memory_limit set to 32M and max_execution_time as 60 on my server.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Gizmo,

So what you are saying is to change the top line in php.ini which is the memory and the second line add 60. Is this correct?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, the line will vary in placement in your php.ini... Don't chance "the first line" change "the value of" both of the definitions...



I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Don't forget that there is also another setting in php.ini called
post_max_size
I mention this because of the large file size mentioned.
If you allow a user say two attachments per post.
Then the setting would need to be 40mb times 2 or 80mb.
Again a timeout issue.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Ruben,

I only have two lines in the php.ini file and they are the two I talked about in previous post. Am I looking at the wrong file?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,344
Your host has the main php.ini and is allowing you to override it with your php.ini. It looks at yours first for the settings, if its not there it will use default. If you wanted to add post_max_size to yours it would look like this

post_max_size = 40M

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Hi all,

Still not having any luck with the maximium file upload size and I am at a loss what else can be done.

This is what I have in the php.ini file:
memory_limit = 80M
post_max_size = 40M
max_execution_time = 180

In the php info it is saying the following:

max_execution_time 60
memory_limit 128m
upload_max_filesize 10M

So it appears that nothing is being changed after ajusting the php.ini file.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
addict
addict
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
Have you taken a look at the forum setting to ensure that it is set at the right Megs?

For example under gallery settings it would say 2097152 for 2 Megs.

Not sure if this setting would apply but it is worth a shot?

Dunny

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
It looks like your host may not allow you to adjust those settings in your sites local php.ini; you might have to contact them and see if they'd be willing to edit the limits for you (or if this is a dedicated or vps machine you may have to edit the php.ini for the entire server)


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 353
Gizmo,

Thanks for the heads up in what to do. Once I made the adjustments on the server php.ini file all is working ok at present.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)