Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#248068 01/19/2012 10:39 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
I've done some searching, and I can't find anything on this problem.

I just moved my site from a VPS to Shared Hosting. The new host has a limit on how many files can be in a certain folder. My Attachments Folder has over 7,000 image files, the hosts limit is 1,024. As such, the directory test says "Folder exists, but can not be written to by the web server". Also, none of those attachments are visible in the forum anymore.

Is there a way to use multiple directories for the Attachments (or even better) a way for the attachments directory to be located on a different server? I do not want to delete 6+ years worth of members photos, I'd rather just host the directory on another server that does not have a limit on number of files.

Thanks in advance!

B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Any ideas for this one?

addict
addict
You could actually use a different folder for your images. The hard part actually would be that you would have to do a lot of work on your end to do it. These files have been there a long time, and all the relative links in UBB would point to them there. So you would make a new folder, put your images in, and you would have to add more relative links to the new folder(s) in your UBB script in order for UBB to know where they were. It would not be an easy task in my opinion.

This said, as I am writing this, I am not an expert. I would recommend asking one of the more savvy guys like SD, Gizmo, Ruben, or gliderdad, as they are probably the most familiar with something of this caliber.

Dunny

well first issue is the host you went to limiting a number of files per folder.
The real issue as Dunny stated is all the attachments are indexed in the posts via the dbase. So attempting to move them elsewhere would be a major headache. Since the links would be broken.

But anyway. The statement:
As such, the directory test says "Folder exists, but can not be written to by the web server". Also, none of those attachments are visible in the forum anymore.
Makes me think that there is in fact a permission issue.
Maybe with the limit you can't post net new attachments. But the existing 1024 files should work. As long as you copied over the test file when moving.
When I speak of permissions don't forget there is a group permission. Which you may not be the owner of.
For example my attachment folder is set to permission of 755 but the group owner is 515513.

What you might do is for a temporary test, create a new attachment directory with no files and run the test link and see if you are successful.
My bet is the group permission is the culprit.
Which would be something your host needs to change.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 963 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29