Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
Hello all,

Our forum's owner is retiring. So I threw out an offer to take the forum off his hands.

Does anyone have advice on how i might propose co ownership among regular members? i was thinking on starting a partnership among 3 or 4 regular members.

(i'm an accountant, btw)

thanks

I'm not yet sure if this is the route we'll take, btw.

And thanks again for all the help that i've received in the past. Sirdude, Rick and Gizmo -- special thanks.

And I have already done a search.

M
M Offline
If I understand correctly, you are talking about possibly entering into a limited partnership with others who you may not really know all that well.

For myself personally, there is no way I'd do such a thing.

Has the owner stated that the site is for sale?

I'd deal with him directly and see what he would settle for. Be sure you get ownership of the domain name and any copyrighted logos as well as the contents of the forum.

Lots of variables that will affect the value of the site.

T
T Offline
Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding.

I should have mentioned that i would offer ownership to partners for one dollar each. I'd choose partners that were longtime, respectible members.

The site is for sale. His publishing business is no longer profitable. If the owner doesn't have someone buy his entire website, with the online business, then he may resort to letting us take it off his hands so the forum section may continue. He publicly stated that he'd like his business to continue.

Any more advice is appreciated.

thnks

S

T
T Offline
Bump

Again, how would you set up "co ownership" of a forum in the sates. Partnership or a Corp? I'd think partnership.

In a nutshell, we (our forum) might be very soon come to a point where either we take action or our forum dies.

We're talking about a forum with sentimental value and no real monetary value.

I should have titled this thread "setting up a forum." Because it's more the forum CONTENT and NOTt the name and/or official logos that we're concerned about.

I don't see money, name, disputes among owners being an issue relative to keeping our fourm alive.

The owner may well just give the content to us. As he NEVER wanted to own a forum. Rather he was merely accommodating the wish of a former employee who started our forum.

Mike, thanks again for responding.

Originally Posted by Mike L
I'd deal with him directly and see what he would settle for.

Again, he might well give it to us so that it can continue without him needing to worry about it.

Be sure you get ownership of the domain name and any copyrighted logos as well as the contents of the forum.

Actually i might well just NOT take on the owner's copyrighted logos which cover an enormous amount of other materieals. I don't necessarily want to concern him with how his 25 year old business is being represented after his retirement.

There would be plenty of interest in keeping the forum content alive under a different name. (albeit we'd want to retain what web traffic we now have.)

Lots of variables that will affect the value of the site.

Again, i didn't label this thread well. And our my priorities have changed since this idea was conceived.

Mods, i hope you don't mind me bumping up this thread.

thanks again for all the help,
best regards,

tacks

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
How many registered user, posts, online users during the day are there? What's the subject matter?

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
Addict
Addict
I am convinced that EVERY forum has monetary value, with potential for profit.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
T
T Offline
Hi Cascade

thanks for responding

Originally Posted by cascadeclimbers
How many registered user, posts, online users during the day are there? What's the subject matter?

We have for over two months been experiencing technical problems on the fileserver side. This prevents both existing members and visitors from logging on and even viewing forum content. So our present numbers, IMO, wouldn't accurately reflect our forum's potential.

We have roughly 7,600 registered users -- but most are old -- from our heyday. Our forum was unattended and neglected for some time before we got outside help to make it "functional" again.

Before our current problems -- we might, late 2011 for instance, get anywhere 9 to 16 posts.

Online users might be 6 or 7 during a given day. But many would think we have lots of valuable content.

Due to a rediculcous amount of trolls, hackers and infighting and other nonsense i'll elaborate furher in a pm to you so as not to draw further unwanted attention.

(we've had a somewhat odd & weak moderation setup, btw. And I say that as after having been an admin for 5 years)

thanks again,
gotta run,

T

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29