Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#250243 09/12/2012 6:00 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sometimes the number of "views" of items on the Portal doesn't update for days. Then all of a sudden it will jump 100 or 200 views. Looking at the "Who's Online" information, it shows lots of people viewing these items. So, how can I check to see what the cache time is set for, assuming there is that option? And, if is set for less than the several days it seems to take to update, is there something I can do to fix this so it caches more frequently?

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There isn't an option to update how often things cache. As for how often the items are cached, according to the rebuild_islands function in libs/ubbthreads.inc.php the portal islands rebuild every 2 minutes (120 seconds); I'll reply back if I see anything that would be portal specific that'd be listed elsewhere.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just received more clarification about this issue because it was reported to me. Visitors/members are clicking on a link to a particular forum/post from Facebook. This post is displayed on the Portal as well. Thus, the many views to that particular post are not being displayed either on the Portal nor in the Forum where the post is located... if that makes any sense? hehe

In short, people are viewing a particular post which is also displayed on the Portal and the number of views doesn't change for days at a time.

Another question which might be relevant is: Does the "views" reflect only members who view a post or anyone/everyone who views a post?

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
I just received more clarification about this issue because it was reported to me. Visitors/members are clicking on a link to a particular forum/post from Facebook. This post is displayed on the Portal as well. Thus, the many views to that particular post are not being displayed either on the Portal nor in the Forum where the post is located... if that makes any sense? hehe

In short, people are viewing a particular post which is also displayed on the Portal and the number of views doesn't change for days at a time.

Another question which might be relevant is: Does the "views" reflect only members who view a post or anyone/everyone who views a post?
This was a item to be addressed in version 8 which got shelved.
Meaning some user control over the cache items enhancement.
Some features need a trigger/action to update and some have a hard coded time.
v8 was going to give us the ability to set time specific values for all of them.

As far as I can tell it is not in v7.6 nor v7.7
So it would be a mod at best for a while.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for the response, Ruben.

It's unfortunate that this issue got scrapped or at best put on the back burner. On this particular thread I referenced, there have been well in excess of 100 views over the past 3 days and yet the "Views" shows "0", zero, nada, zilch. I've tried clearing the cache but that had no effect, unfortunately. No, this isn't a life-or-death matter, but it is irritating nonetheless. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 639 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29