Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
I had UBB version 7.5.6 up and running without problems for 2 years on a certain web host. I recently switched to my backup web host since since the former one's servers were down too much.

Anyway, I have my website up and running on the new web host. Also, I simply transferred all my forum files from the UBB files to the new host. But I cannot get access to the UBB control panel to configure it on this new host. I figure it has something to due with the actual data base, php, paths. But do not know where to start to correct them.

I've looked through the documentation, but nothing seems to work.

Any one have any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

First item is did you edit your includes/config.inc.php file with the new paths and database info?
There is a transfer guide here at
http://www.ubbwiki.com/article/view/6/migration-guide.html

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
M
M Offline
Ditto Ruben's comment.

Furthermore....

Also, I simply transferred all my forum files from the UBB files to the new host.

I do not see a mention of having backed up the database and moving it over to the new host. (step 2 in the linked guide).

N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Thanks for the feedback. I've been trying to follow up on Ruben's post, but have gotten nowhere fast. My main problem is that I really am limited with coding. That's one reason I originally went with UBB 9 years ago. I thought the install directions and configuration directions were doable for me, and I was up and going fairly quickly.

If I could only get into the Control Panel to configure.

This my situation. The web host where UBB forum is situated has gone off-line. [I have no time to be trying to chase them down (primarily because I think they are about to go under and stop functioning, i.e., go out of business).] It happened sooner than I thought, and I was caught off guard. Otherwise, I would be able to use the CP on UBB on their servers.

Anyway, I downloaded my whole website (including the UBB forums) to my hard drive using Fetch. It's residing there (in 2 copies). BTW, when you say database I assume that you mean the whole install of 7.5.6.

I have a copy of MAMP on my computer so can set up UBB there to get access to the database (to configure). Is that doable?

M
M Offline
Oh wow.

Er...

There is no delicate way to say this.

You REALLY need to get logged back in with your old host and BACK UP YOUR DATABASE!

Back when you might have been running UBBClasic, all you needed to do was copy over all the directories and files and then edit the config file to set the paths.

Easy-peasy.

It is not quite as direct with UBBThreads. The directories and files in your "forums" directory is only half of the whole. ALL your actual content is stored in the database. Without that, you have no forums.

You cannot use your control panel until you edit your config file. You will need to connect to your new host via FTP and download the file. It's the file named "config.inc.php" in your "includes" directory. Edit all the path and URL references and then you need to enter the database name, as well as the user name and password for the database user account that has full access to the DB.

That is IF you have your DB moved over to the new host.

From what I read in your posts, I see that you are a bit out of your element. This might be a time for you to consider hiring someone to do this stuff for you.

However, you MUST get the DB from your old host. Without that, all your content is lost.

Sorry if I just put a sinking feeling in your stomach, but someone had to tell you.

Whoa Bucko.
When moving a site the control panel is not functional until You complete the transfer.
You have two items to address.
First did you copy over the database to the new site.
If you did then you have a new database location/name also a new database user.
When you copy over the script files/php files you need to set permissions to all of those folder/files.
Then you need to edit the config.inc.php file with a text editor to set the paths and passwords for both the database and script files.

Then and only then will your cp work as well as your forum.

The CP is not a tool to use for moving a site to a new location nor will it work so.
You need to follow the transfer guide first. Then and only then can you access the cp.

Blue Man Group
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Mike,

Thanks for the frankness. I suspected something more complex but didn't know where exactly it got complex.

Anyway, I would be happy to get the Data Base if I knew what I was looking for. I can log into the website files at my old host with Fetch, but have not been able to locate any folder or file with data base mentioned. There is a folder labeled UBB that I believe is the so called data base. It has a mess of files for all the forms that I have. I believe this may be it.

What do you think?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Your host will usually have a utility like PHPMyAdmin for accessing a database; this will work fine if you have a small forum (and the file will be under say 75mb on a fast connection); if not then you'll have to use say SSH to backup the database, which would be the most efficient way (and what my migration guide recommends you use).

There is no way to just "download" the database with this "fetch" program, it's stored separate from your files. You'll either need to hire someone to move it for you or learn (very fast) how to do it for yourself...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Gizmo,

Thanks for adding more info on what to do.

Together from what the other posters have added I see that I am out of my element. I can not afford to lose that data base. So, I will take your advise and have a pro do it.

A couple years ago Rick Baker did some custom work for me, but I think he has moved on. Should I just contact Mindraven to set up transferring the data base? Or is there another option?

Thanks!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Mindraven isn't owned by him; but there are several of us here that do contract work (such as myself) who could get it moved over fairly quickly.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
yes to access your mysql database you need to use a tool that your host provided when you created it as well as there is a user name and password for the database. That needs to be moved as well as the files and added to the config.inc.php file.
It is not a complex item to deal with. Except for the first time user.
You just need some hand holding for the one time and you will see how easy it really is.

PS,
Gizmo is correct in that Mindraven has no affiliation with this site or UBB software anymore.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29