Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#250893 11/18/2012 12:51 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Can I host this on my any server or does it have to be here?
Also, if hosted here are static ips available and how much?

Last edited by mrwhitee; 11/18/2012 1:09 AM.
mrwhitee #250897 11/18/2012 2:08 AM
addict
addict
I can't answer all of that, but I can say that based on my own experience, that you can run this on any server. It will run on Linux and Windows machines (though I admit it is way easier on a linux server than on a windows based server).

I say that and then follow up with some here would disagree with me on that statement about which OS it would be easier on.

Static IPs that depends on your host. I run all of this on my own equipment so I don't have extensive knowledge on hosting UBB.....but many people here do use external hosting and it seems to be stable and runs fine. As for hosting options here, I will leave that question to the people who use the service.

Dunny

mrwhitee #250905 11/18/2012 5:32 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I recently (3 months ago) switched to ExpressHosting and can't speak positively enough about the service and performance of this company. It also cut my hosting cost by 2/3's. The owner is very knowledgeable of UBBThreads and that is a plus.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
mrwhitee #250906 11/18/2012 5:38 PM
I can't find it now. But there used to be a test php script to run to determine that your existing server is compatible.
But most all at least shared hosting plans work.
As far as static ip you can contact express hosting for the costs I do know they have a limited number of them.
Okay found the test script hiding at"
https://www.ubbcentral.com/demo.php
It is a form to request a test demo at the vendors site
Look at the bottom of the screen for server test.

Last edited by Ruben; 11/18/2012 5:44 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
mrwhitee #250907 11/18/2012 9:02 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm hosted at Interserver on a VPS and have been running several UBB's for about a year on my machine there.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
mrwhitee #252894 06/09/2013 9:52 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I am looking for new servers as well. We're currently at a place where we have 3 dedicated servers: they never even alerted us that there was a HUGE vulnerability last year. Ergo last week - presto! A hacker owned root.

Need to change, looked up both those you guys suggested. Interserver has far worse machines: expressshoppingnet has far better, more ram, a LOT more BW, all for 180. Paying 350 for a slower server with less ram, less than half the bw, right now.

Question: I get that dedicated servers come as is, you DIY and that's cool. I don't get that when a serious vulnerability becomes known, no newsletter? No email? No NUTTIN? Is that the same at all of these companies? (Admittedly we have 1 new servers and 2 more provisioned years ago - still you'd THINK they'd have alerted us. God knows everyone else knew: I did research and found the hack itself described. ANY ole coder (including moi) could do it. Thanks for telling people how to hack, press idiots. And thanks to my (soon to previous) hosting company for the alert!

ARG if only I knew more about server guts - but noooo!

While I'm at it, the only other hosting place I'm examining is GoDaddy: also heard good things there.

Do any of you have UBB boards which, like mine, is such a monster that during peak it requires a couple of servers? (Not saying 3: I think 2 of ours are so old that 1 good one could replace it, taking us down to 2. Still we'll require a third shortly.)

Jokersupdates - running 6.2 and keeps on ticking!
mrwhitee #252897 06/09/2013 10:19 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not ALL servers are DIY, Interserver's servers are managed, as in they do updates for you on your machines...

Some distributions have update notifications, some people (like me) just run updates once a week on top of having a host that does managed services.

Interserver also publishes security bulletins on their forums as well which also show in the billing area.

Do NOT host at GoDaddy, they're horrible; have been since we used to use them, have been for any client I've helped recover their data out of there; it may be different for dedicated machines since you do all the work on an unmanaged system, but I've never had a good experience with them.

Personally I don't have a site that popular unfortunately, but BellaOnline is quite possibly one of the largest UBB forums I can think of offhand...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #252920 06/13/2013 10:31 PM
A
A Offline
Suggest you take a look at VertexHost

I have had excellent service and support.

Low staff turnover and they move quickly on any trouble tickets.

Abbott

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 377 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29