Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
A
member
member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
After updating to 7.5.7 any RSS Feed generated by the forum is broken now...

All you get is when you browse to it:

XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Location: http://www.aus-city.com/ubbthreads/cache/rss40.xml
Line Number 2, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
^

This is the file when you actually edit it (start)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<!-- RSS generation done by UBB.threads(tm) on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:30:01 GMT -->
<rss version="2.0">

Problem is besides its broken, feedburner is now no longer spidering out the updates on the forums frown

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Well, theres a line return before the feed; which may be the cause; UBBDevs work fine clicky so i'm not sure why it's not working for your site...

Can you try clearing your cache on your forum and see if that fixes it? After that you could try opening the template "rss_xml.tpl" and make sure that the top two lines are:
Code
{* Script Version 7.5.7 *} 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Cleared our cache and found it to be broken, re-opened the template file and saw a space after the "{* Script Version 7.5.7 *}" and removed it then re-cleared the cache and it's working...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
A
member
member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
I checked the file is correct, there is no space first in the template.

I cleared the cache, re generated the files and its the same keeps putting in a blank space at the start.

{* Script Version 7.5.7 *}
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<!-- RSS generation done by UBB.threads(tm) on {$generated_on} -->
<rss version="2.0">

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
A
member
member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
Fixed.

The error is in the ubb template, it HATES the {* Script Version 7.5.7 *} at the top. I removed this and now the RSS feeds are working, so looks like this is a bug.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by aus-city
The error is in the ubb template, it HATES the {* Script Version 7.5.7 *} at the top. I removed this and now the RSS feeds are working, so looks like this is a bug.
That should be filtered out by smarty... Are you sure there isn't a space " " after "{* Script Version 7.5.7 *}" ("{* Script Version 7.5.7 *} " versus "{* Script Version 7.5.7 *}")?

It's what I cleared out on the 9 sites I've updated today to fix it on those...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
A
member
member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
Definitely a BUG. There is a space added at the end of:

"{* Script Version 7.5.7 *} "

It should be:
"{* Script Version 7.5.7 *}"

Check the update files in the zip, its got the space at the end.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (vscope), 384 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)