Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Stan #251683 12/23/2012 1:06 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I wonder how they got the addresses of current UBB admins? Oh, well.

PS: I still don't understand how our board, which we started using in 1999 does not qualify us to have the UBB10YEARS graphic?

Golly... I'm looking forward to receiving my 11-Year graphic!!!!
tongue crazy tongue ha ha... sorry. cool

Stan #251684 12/23/2012 1:16 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The addresses they should have would be the ones on our licenses that they managed before Rick bought threads from them.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Stan #251688 12/23/2012 11:00 AM
addict
addict
I'm not surprised at all to have received that email from Social Strata, given all the speculation on this board about the future or non-future of UBBthreads. Also, I'm not surprised at their price either, due to the fact when they became Groupee their hosting plans skyrocketed. They are probably hurting, just like every other forum producer for customers due to the popularity of FB and other social forums. No matter what, I don't plan on going with them.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
Stan #251697 12/23/2012 2:48 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, even when Eve first came out it wasn't targeted at threads or classic (which is basically "ubb forum"); I think we all just got the email because they had it, which it's kind of crappy since they sold their rights to us to Rick...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Would you ever "Import Your Content", as suggested in their email (attached below), to a company that cannot maintain stability and renames themselves every few years.

Would any one of your forum members care if you shared their passwords with this sort of company. What is to guarantee that they will not abuse your member's email addresses by selling them off to other spam companies?

What happens to the ownership of that content once it gets imported? Does it now become property of SocialStrata/Hoop.la/Groupee/MadronaPark.

This seems like more than just a simple service from them. It seems a bit shady, or even much like a scam. You give them all of your currently hosted content, user information, user passwords and whatever private conversations from your PM/PT databases, AND you pay them $75 a month. If you stop paying, you loose everything. Giving them anything is close to giving up your rights to all of it.

Am I wrong?

Attached is a screen-capture of their email sent from support_bot@socialstrata.com on Friday, Dec 21, 2012.
Saved for posterity.
Attachments
Screen194.png

Stan #251750 12/26/2012 10:13 AM
addict
addict
I used to get their emails about once per year, but hadn't heard anything from them in quite awhile, so this one was a bit of a surprise.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
Stan #251836 12/30/2012 4:41 AM
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J Offline
Thank you Dunny and Gizmo for your help. Previous emails to the apparent current owner here have gone unanswered and even when they post here, they don't engage us directly as far as I can tell. A perfect example is directly above. If you have long time customers asking questions ONLY the current owner can answer and they completely ignore you when they post just below your questions, it certainly doesn't give off a warm and fuzzy feeling of care and support. Previous emails (as instructed above) to info@ubbcentral.com have gone unanswered. In addition, with a new promise of a soon to be coming new major release 7.6, why would we invest in having the site updated to 7.57 instead of waiting for 7.6 which is entering beta? But then version 8.0 was promised for many years in the same way.

Does anyone have any idea what new features will be included in 7.6? Is that listed somewhere?

We're a 100% free and volunteer run organization that has been around since 1985. Funding is especially tough in this economy so it would be helpful to have trustworthy facts on time frames and features and costs. If Gizmo is able and willing to update us from 7.02 to current (and perhaps do some other work based on any add on's you have available since we'd love to have some new features to improve our traffic) please PM me and we'll work something out. It would ALSO be a nice change of pace for the owner (or whoever posted above) to communicate, by name, with us wouldn't it? Is that really too much to ask or expect? We have over 50,000 members and I am easy to find and directly communicate with any of them, usually the same day, year round. It can be done.

Thanks again Dunny and Gizmo!

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks Music Organization
www.justplainfolks.org
Stan #251847 12/30/2012 12:01 PM
Addict
Addict
I received another pair of email messages this morning from the "new" UBBForum people pushing me to convert to their online system. This despite the fact that I unsubscribed both email addresses last time.

I once again unsubscribed my address and also sent their team a note that if they keep this up I'm going to be reporting them.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Stan #251853 12/30/2012 4:09 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey Brian, I'm always down for a gig, I'll shoot you a message here shortly.

I generally recommend people contact Brooks through the support pages; I can't talk for how often he may or may not contact users though, I just talk to you all here (but then again I don't own the product).

Yeah Lisa, I came here to ask if anyone else got the new message... Part of me wants to unsubscribe, the rest of me is curious as to when I'll get another one...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh, btw:
Originally Posted by JPFolks
In addition, with a new promise of a soon to be coming new major release 7.6, why would we invest in having the site updated to 7.57 instead of waiting for 7.6 which is entering beta? But then version 8.0 was promised for many years in the same way.
It'll make your upgrade far easier (and potentially cheaper). You'll have to be running a current copy of threads to import, so whoever does your upgrade would have the hurtle with upgrading to 7.3 then again to 7.5.7 then to the new version (v7.3's upgrade commonly fails out and is a pain to work with)

Stan #251857 12/30/2012 4:24 PM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
the importer will ONLY be importing 7.5.7 too, so ... wink

edit: i think you said that already @giz.. n/m laugh

Sysop
Sysop

We did respond to your email, you didn't respond back with your information requested for us to login and take a look.

Originally Posted by JPFolks
Thank you Dunny and Gizmo for your help. Previous emails to the apparent current owner here have gone unanswered and even when they post here, they don't engage us directly as far as I can tell. A perfect example is directly above. If you have long time customers asking questions ONLY the current owner can answer and they completely ignore you when they post just below your questions, it certainly doesn't give off a warm and fuzzy feeling of care and support. Previous emails (as instructed above) to info@ubbcentral.com have gone unanswered. In addition, with a new promise of a soon to be coming new major release 7.6, why would we invest in having the site updated to 7.57 instead of waiting for 7.6 which is entering beta? But then version 8.0 was promised for many years in the same way.

Does anyone have any idea what new features will be included in 7.6? Is that listed somewhere?

We're a 100% free and volunteer run organization that has been around since 1985. Funding is especially tough in this economy so it would be helpful to have trustworthy facts on time frames and features and costs. If Gizmo is able and willing to update us from 7.02 to current (and perhaps do some other work based on any add on's you have available since we'd love to have some new features to improve our traffic) please PM me and we'll work something out. It would ALSO be a nice change of pace for the owner (or whoever posted above) to communicate, by name, with us wouldn't it? Is that really too much to ask or expect? We have over 50,000 members and I am easy to find and directly communicate with any of them, usually the same day, year round. It can be done.

Thanks again Dunny and Gizmo!

Brian

Stan #252350 02/22/2013 10:13 PM
hey y'all..this is my first post. Ive been using ubb for many, many years running a busy and profitable forum.

I saw the update email and got all pumped and upgraded. Honestly, I thought ubb was dead, and we were gonna switch over to vbul....

I am not technical much, so a lot of the how and what escapes me, but I have to ask a few questions...ubb is strong as ever?

Are there any cool plugins I can use, like the tag feature used in fb and wishlist, where when you refer to another member they get tagged...or any other cool stuff?

thoughts? Also, would love to add, tweak some design elements to my forum....http://www.nobsphotosuccess.com/NoBsWorld/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

thanks guys..>Rob

Stan #254986 03/05/2014 10:27 AM
W
stranger
stranger
W Offline
I just checked them out at Hoop.la .. they are hosting service using version of UBB, there is no software installation as they host in on their servers.

Well it is not the same product.
here it is UBBthreads.
at hoopla it is UBB Forums.
There is no relationship between the two at all.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Stan #255005 03/05/2014 5:47 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's Eve, as Eve always has been (a hosted solution). When Rick was granted UBB.Threads for his stock shares he bough JUST the name "UBB.Threads". "UBB", "The Ultimate Bulletin Board", "Ultimate Bulletin Board", "UBB.Classic" I believe are all still owned by Groupee.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29