Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#251701 12/23/2012 6:15 PM
I think that SD did a exceptional job with the current update.
Very few minor hiccups with the changes. Even though we did not get the 7.6 update yet.
I am excessively pleased.
At first I did not notice much in the way of any changes, But I was mistaken.
Fixed/added a few items on my nit noid list as well as added some security fixes and some code cleanup.

Thank You.

Looking forward to the next release.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
enthusiast
enthusiast
So are you saying that we should proceed with the update now? Are the bugs out of it? :-)

I'm still scared to death about overwriting some tweak that I've made somewhere over the past 3 years. (Ouch)

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd advise an immediate update, just for the fact of the security hole patched; the Stop Forum Spam feature had been tested at UBBDev over the past year and worked quite well for the users who've used it over the modification period.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bill B
I'm still scared to death about overwriting some tweak that I've made somewhere over the past 3 years. (Ouch)
Updating most always means you could lose some/all of your custom 'tweaks'. IF you have a record of the tweaks you made; name, file(s) modified, etc., then after an upgrade you will have to add them back in. The easiest method is to use a program such as "Beyond Compare" or "Araxis Merge".

Also, be aware that the second phase of the upgrade (7.6) has been said to go into Beta in about 2 weeks. So, if everything goes as planned, this should be released in the next 30-60 days, hopefully. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Thus, there is a good possibility that some/all 'tweaks' will be lost again. But as Gizmo stated, the current update (7.5.7) has some critical security updates and the addition of the StopForumSpam feature. The choice is yours.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
timeline for 7.6 isn't that definite... i won't make a prediction on it yet.

after wrestling with the installer / upgrader, 7.6 will have to be a rethink on things, since the CHANGED_FILES.txt will be meaningless..

EVERY file will be different..

2c

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
During an upgrade, especially for clients who've indicated they wish to keep customizations, I take whatever version I'm upgrading from and compare it to the stock files of that version; then I mirror those changes to the stock version I'm upgrading to (after the upgrade has gone through).

Though the more mods the more it effects the bottom line; most mods don't take longer than 20 minutes to merge over so I include those in the upgrade price, anything more would mean an additional fee.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Gizmo
During an upgrade, especially for clients who've indicated they wish to keep customizations, I take whatever version I'm upgrading from and compare it to the stock files of that version; then I mirror those changes to the stock version I'm upgrading to (after the upgrade has gone through).

Though the more mods the more it effects the bottom line; most mods don't take longer than 20 minutes to merge over so I include those in the upgrade price, anything more would mean an additional fee.

THIS is the way to do it... relying on the changes files ( languages too ) is hit and miss and leaves a board with code that has old version numbers in it as well..

smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
So.... what do you use to compare a couple of hundred files from the PREVIOUS version to the NEW UPDATE?

I still use WINDIFF to compare files to one another, but it's a pain when you're trying to compare entire folders to one other.

ADDED:
I just re-read the full thread and saw the references to "Beyond Compare" and "Araxis Merge". Thanks. I'll follow up on those.

Last edited by Bill B; 12/26/2012 2:22 AM. Reason: added product names

--BIll B
Beyond Compare used to be freeware. But it has been a standard for years.
I think you still get a trial period.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
The BEST way for doing this is to do everything in Git. You take a fresh version of your board to init your master branch on. Then create a branch "modded", copy over your modded board files and commit that. So at this point you have all your changes in your branch. Upgrades are done on the master branch and then you merge your "modded" branch. This removes most of the work rebuilding your modifications during upgrades.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Everything looks pretty good. The only thing I have noticed that is not quite right is when using the Black and Gold style and when in a forum the links on the top bar have become difficult to read clearly.

N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Originally Posted by nigels
Everything looks pretty good. The only thing I have noticed that is not quite right is when using the Black and Gold style and when in a forum the links on the top bar have become difficult to read clearly.

Actually it is only when the font size is greater than 100% and I am logged in when the links get pushed partially over the bottom edge of the bar. It's not a big deal but I hadn't seen that happen until this update. I also grey blocks overlapping some of the graphic borders. It is only Black and Gold because all the other styles look just fine.

A
A Offline
Bill B

If I read Gizmo's post correctly he compares the current modified site files to the stock files for the current running version. This identifies the mods to the current running version. Then He looks to the new version in order to migrate the mods.

It will be interesting for ver 7.6 because there are so many changes in so many files (per SD post "every file"). The prior mods might not be needed in the new version due to enhancements or added functionality. If they are needed the prior mods may need changes to work in the new version since there has been a lot of code streamlining and clean up (per SD).

I suspect for highly modified sites the transition to ver 7.6 may be a more involved process.

Glad to see some movement. Hopefully SD will have some time available to wrap things up.

Abbott

Last edited by Abbott; 12/30/2012 2:35 PM.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah, for anyone with modified boards, the migration to 7.6 won't have a 'changed_files.txt' to rely on, since it is every one of them.

you'd have to compare your 7.5.7 modded to 7.5.7 stock and note those files you've changed, then manually merge them into the new scheme.

7.6 won't even be an 'upgrade' either. it will be an IMPORT... (every table name goes to lower case, utf-8 is standard etc... )

matter of fact, just doing the importer is a huge task right now.

there is no timeframe on 7.6.... i will resume it in the new year, but it's not a 'coupla weeks'.... it'll be a careful process, given time to do it right...

smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SD
you'd have to compare your 7.5.7 modded to 7.5.7 stock and note those files you've changed, then manually merge them into the new scheme.
As it should be...

Originally Posted by SD
7.6 won't even be an 'upgrade' either. it will be an IMPORT... (every table name goes to lower case, utf-8 is standard etc... )
Excitement...

Originally Posted by SD
there is no timeframe on 7.6.... i will resume it in the new year, but it's not a 'coupla weeks'.... it'll be a careful process, given time to do it right...
Don't ever sett a firm timeline; we all know how those end up when not met lol...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29