Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#251932 01/04/2013 2:06 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Previously I installed Gizmo's EXCELLENT Stop Spam application. It added the exclamation marks and did everything it was suppose to. I love it.

Since I went to 7.5.7, I don't see any of this any longer. Is it still there? Or not working?

Should I have done something else to re-activate it?

And, of course, what prompted this is that we got spammed FOUR times yesterday from Denmark. I had to manually Ban them.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bill B
Previously I installed Gizmo's EXCELLENT Stop Spam application
Awe schucks... cool

It added the exclamation marks and did everything it was suppose to.
I believe the only indication on the view member screen in the CP is via a link on the main page of viewing the user, look for a button named "more info" on the "spam check line".

And, of course, what prompted this is we got spammed FOUR times yesterday from Denmark. I had to manually Ban them.
What spam level do you have set? I think #3 is the best at achieving what my mod did for registrations.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ouch... you lost me at the Drugstore.... (remember Rowan and Martin?) Ha!!

I'm looking at the showuser screen. Where is the "spam check line"?

--BIll B
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hold on... I am reading SD's post of Dec 13... wow... I never saw that before... It MIGHT have what I need. :-)

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
[Linked Image from i1283.photobucket.com]

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
And... here's my findings... Am I missing a tab? I can't quite tell from the WIKI, but it seems that I'm now in the right area... but nothing with a four-letter word beginning with "S"...

LOL
[Linked Image from barkerville.net]

--BIll B
enthusiast
enthusiast
I've got NOTHING below USER NOTES.

This has been an interesting evening... I didn't realize that my UPGRADE messed up.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hmm, try re-uploading the admin/ languages/ and templates/default/admin

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, found it... I was leery about overwriting the languages/ files since that's been one of my sticky points about an INSTALL verses an UPGRADE. I don't want to lose my language mods.

When I checked the languages/english/admin/ they were mostly 2009 vintage. Except for my stop-forum-spam file from last year.

Since I seldom modify the ADMIN files, I went ahead and overwrote all of them. Voila!! I now see a STOP SPAM tab.

The only "casualty" in this thing is that it didn't pick up the API-KEY for SFS. I sure hope that is included in the next upgrade. No sense is EVERYONE having to go get new keys. (Of course, I found my old one - since I'm a pack-rat - but no guarantee that I'll find it next time.) onoes

Ha ha.... thanks for the tip on where to look. I'm going to try to think about this and figure out how I could upgrade that far and miss the entire folder. Ouch.

Again- thanks!!

--BIll B
Bill B #251941 01/04/2013 11:32 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
it's not going to pick up a KEY from a modification that is non-standard.

that's on you to save smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes... understand non-standard (ie. Hack)....

But.....

It COULD HAVE picked it up. :-) It was a very GOOD hack - one that was EVEN INCLUDED in this upgrade! Right?

It could have looked to see if it was there. !?!?!?
That would have "exceeded expectations", I guess.

Not a criticism - but an observation.
To me that's an example of "World Class", something that we all strive for.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It would have been cool if it checked for the stop forum spam language file and just nabbed the key... :snicker:

Glad you have it working though Bill smile.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
lol @ world class.... i guess the next upgrade.php should automatically merge ALL non-stock modifications into the result.

we didn't incorporate gizmo's code exactly. matter of fact we used his idea as a starting point. what is in there now uses a small portion of what he had.

we gave credit to him for the idea and original implementation though in credits.txt, but most of the SFS code in stock is NEW stuff wink

what made it so EASY is that Giz had his code running a LONG time on MANY boards, so i didn't have to freak out, if the concept would work. he PROVED it would work for quite awhile wink

anyway... glad you got it working smile

SD #251951 01/04/2013 6:09 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by SD
lol @ world class.... i guess the next upgrade.php should automatically merge ALL non-stock modifications into the result.
I was thinking more along the lines of if integrating an old mod and a tidbit of data could be useful; but I get the point tongue.

Originally Posted by SD
what made it so EASY is that Giz had his code running a LONG time on MANY boards, so i didn't have to freak out, if the concept would work. he PROVED it would work for quite awhile wink
Honestly, I did it as a mod for a user as something to do; I had doubts it'd really work, let alone well, let alone as well as it did...

enthusiast
enthusiast
So, seriously, I can't thank BOTH of you enough!!! (and I can't email beer to you.) It's an open and honest dialogue like this that allows new ideas to become realities.

As soon as I resolved the problem last night (this morning?) I went to bed. It was close to 2 am. But NOW, I get to go back through ALL of the CP sections and look for NEW STUFF that wasn't showing up before. I'm a little annoyed with myself that I didn't "pick up" on the fact that the SFS was entirely missing.

So -- maybe the lesson here is that a bunch of SCREEN SHOTS of the new environment are worth their weight in gold..... or at least worth a thousand words. :=)

If you're still reading this -- I have finally added some real-time Tutorial Videos to our site. Did it about 10 days ago. They have been SO POPULAR that I just got notice tonight that we're going to reach our bandwidth limit in a couple of days!!! So--- is that good or bad news??? ha ha....

At risk that you'll look at one of these and find my streaming account locked - here's the url:
http://vcca.org/chat/help/
Note: I am going to sign up for a FULL account and get the bandwidth raised. It might take me a day or so to do it - so if you see a dead-end, try again in a day or so.

Just saying... this might be something for the NEXT UPGRADE. You know, in your spare time. Ha ha... (Sometimes I crack me up.)

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You should upload your videos to youtube and embed the content on your site, then they get the bandwidth bill...

I host images on facebook that appear on Corthell.net using their API, again to save bandwidth.

T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
I am running UBB.threads 7.5.6 at http://www.belizeforum.com

I installed SFS v0.5 following very closely the instructions

When i go to control panel.Master Settings>Primary Settings , the SFS tab is not there.

Same problem as Bill_B had, but am not following what the solution was. Am I missing a step?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
SFS is standard in 7.5.7, so you are asking about a mod that Giz did over at ubbdev

Two different things smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 939 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29