Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
stranger
stranger
I have a poll set up on my forum (UBB 7.5.5 - must upgrade!) with the results displayed only after members have voted. Some have voted successfully, while others who have logged in successfully are told they "don't have permission to to vote"
There obviously isn't a "can vote in polls" 0/1 permission box in the control panel, nor is there anything specific in the FAQ's. It is obviously something to do with members' own browser settings. Is it cookie related? Any help appreciated! It would be good if I can answer members' queries in a meaningful way!

Many Thanks

MuddyD - aka Dee@RPD!
Yes there is a permission.
It is a site permission not forum permission but still it is set per group.
GOTO cp>site permissions
Can vote in polls
place a 1 for the groups needed

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
stranger
stranger
Thanks Ruben,
I've found the site permissions, and I already had a "1" in the "Vote in Poll" box for that forum. There is a "sister forum" for which all the members of the one in question have access also. I didn't have anything in the Vote in Poll box for that "sister forum" so I have put a "1" in there in case it matters. It probably doesn't, though.
A member who couldn't vote on a PC with Win7 & 64bit IE9 has now tried with Google Chrome on the same PC and has been able to vote. So it must be user related and not an issue with the board.

EDIT - the user set IE to accept all cookies with everything set as "default". No success...

Last edited by MuddyD; 03/24/2013 11:35 AM.

MuddyD - aka Dee@RPD!
There is a undocumented attempt with version 7.5.6 to fix the issue with IE. At least it is not in the change log. But there are some topics on it where a attempt to add a meta tag to the pages helped for some users.
In the current version here I see that tag has changed a bit also.
Just view the source code for this page and in the head section you will see it.
Although in this version it has changed to IE=Edge
do a search here for EmulateIE7 for more details on the subject.

Blue Man Group
stranger
stranger
Hi Ruben,
I'll do the search as you have suggested - but possibly easier simply to advise folk having difficulty to try a different browser. It is a small forum with ~300 members at present.

Thank you for your help.

MuddyD - aka Dee@RPD!
Originally Posted by MuddyD
Hi Ruben,
I'll do the search as you have suggested - but possibly easier simply to advise folk having difficulty to try a different browser. It is a small forum with ~300 members at present.

Thank you for your help.
There are probably a hundred posts here discussing the issue with IE over the years. And the usual response has been to try firefox or some other browser and see if it works.
But the bottom line is, it is still a issue with IE.

The vendor has made some attempts to fix the IE issue in the last few versions. This version 7.5.7 has made another change in a attempt to correct it.

I was trying to make you aware of what they are because you could manually add the fixes in your current version. And see if it improves for you. Or just upgrade your version.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Considering possible "fixes" are in more recent versions as stock, I'd advise an upgrade to fix a bug.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
stranger
stranger
Thank you both for the advice.

MuddyD - aka Dee@RPD!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, 1 invisible), 998 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29