Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Quote
The Backup Tables function offers you the ability to back up your UBB database tables individually or to back up all of the UBB tables at once. Before the list of database tables is available to you, you must configure a storage directory for your backup files. To do this, create a directory on your server, outside of the webroot, where you'd like to store the backups.
What does "outside of the webroot" mean?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Your web root would be the base "web accessible" directory; example:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/ probably equates to /home/ubbcentral/public_html/ where public_html would be the directory that https://www.ubbcentral.com/ forwards to; "outside the web root" would be /home/ubbcentral as it's not accessible.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Would this also be the same for shared servers, or would /public_html be considered the same as /home in your above example?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Neither /backups, nor /home/backups works.

I created the backups where on my FTP it only showed the / that showed /public_html with a list of other directories.

Should I set up particular permission for the /backups directory that I created?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
I am doing all this in a test forum that I installed on account of the mess it caused when I tried all this in the actual active forum that closed me down for over 24 hours before my host ran a script of some sort that corrected the problem that I had caused.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
On linux machines /home holds all of the user accounts; so if my username was "gremelin" my home directory would be /home/gremelin

The /home/username directory is usually "hidden" from FTP sessions; it'll just show as /.

Your best bet is to go look at "paths and urls" in the control panel and noting the full directory as this will show what the directory is according to the webserver versus your FTP client.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Addict
Addict
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 626
Checked it out as you suggested and entered the directory information.

It is working OK for me.

Thank you.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 347 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)