Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
So I am in dire need to upgrade my old UBB because it keeps getting compromised and spammed.

I have experience installing it myself, but the migration task seems pretty involved. My question is, if I ordered this package; will a professional help me with the migration of forum data?

UBBâ„¢ Standard License $139
Professional Upgrade Install $99

Or is a better option paying a third party resource for the upgrade/ data migration?

Thanks

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The "owner" doesn't really check the forums that often; a "professional" as in the owner of the product will do your upgrade and deal with your data yes.

Keep in mind that a lot of those 3rd party developers have been around longer than the current owner of the product; so don't count them out...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
So, judging from your professional opinion I should install a standard license first.

May I contact you via PM for the upgrade services?

You have both options.
That both work.
Of course you will need to renew your member license first so you can obtain the newer version and the upgrade import scripts, No matter if you go with the vendor or a third party to upgrade for you.
Which costs $59.00 not $139.00 if you can prove you have a valid existing license.
Then you add the cost of someone to upgrade for you.

BTW, you don't just install the new version first.
You would copy the files over then run the upgrade script,not the install option.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I just saw that you'd be going from 6.5; my quote would be much higher than what the "standard" upgrade would be (I'm pretty sure this is the same with UBBCentral) as an upgrade from 6.5 is actually a quite painful process that must be done in different steps (upgrade to the latest in the 6.5 series, import to 7.2, upgrade to latest 7 series) and may in fact have to be done off your server (closing forum, downloading database and preforming the upgrade on a local dedicated machine to not hit any server resource limits) as some hosts will time out during an import.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I'm even worse. I have 6.2 with - so very many modifications it's unbelievable and I'm not kidding. Our developer tweaks everything to suit users, but... we got got.

Root.

Somehow I feel we need to kill off the aged UBB: the PHP 4 and all other aged crap: I do not EVER want to go through this kind of woe again and that means security. Which means no longer running aged stuff.

I cannot do this until October: my busy season starts this month, and if I were to change software - GOD help me (1.2 mil/day - really more.) Been using this version forever: my users have been with me 10 years and 1 thing is 100 percent sure: THEY LOATHE CHANGE.

Anyone who updates us is going to have to add at least one very minor hack.

I haven't checked here in so long - please tell me UBB still provides threads? If not, I get to go through the hell of finding a new board. ACK (Users MIGHT put up with some change: no more threading? Not in this life.)

If anyone is free in late Sept - Oct - jokerette gmail will do it. I'd like you to look the site over and give me a guesstimate guote just for the update: THEN I'll decide which of the tweaks need to be added, which can go.

Thank you guys so very much for any responses -

Hey while I'm at it, I realize 6.2 is older than God (and my techie HAS been super safe checking data before entry into the db,) still - are there any patches for the old thing?

Jokersupdates - running 6.2 and keeps on ticking!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeah, Threads is all that's provided. The UBB however doesn't deal with modifications unlike 3rd party developers.

I'm always available for work, you can find my site along with user references and a portfolio at the links in my signature.

And no, I don't believe there are any sort of patches for 6.2, in fact I'd highly advise for security that you upgrade immediately.

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I just saw that you'd be going from 6.5; my quote would be much higher than what the "standard" upgrade would be (I'm pretty sure this is the same with UBBCentral) as an upgrade from 6.5 is actually a quite painful process that must be done in different steps (upgrade to the latest in the 6.5 series, import to 7.2, upgrade to latest 7 series) and may in fact have to be done off your server (closing forum, downloading database and preforming the upgrade on a local dedicated machine to not hit any server resource limits) as some hosts will time out during an import.

Forums being offline is fine because currently I shut down the forums already. The spam is out of control and I can't manually delete the spam accounts fast enough. Do I need to purchase a 7.2 license as well?

By just renewing your membership access,it allows you to upgrade to all available versions.
So you can upgrade to any version between what you have up to version 7.5.7 which is current. And any version after that for a period of 1 year
Again that equates to $59.00 for one year of membership. Plus any service you require beyond downloading the software,if you don't have the ability to upgrade yourself.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
Is 7.5.7 stable?

Also, when does 7.6 happen?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
7.5.7 is as stable as it comes.

7.6, at this point, is Vaporware; no one's publicly seen it and I've not heard much at all about it coming forth from public announcements.

H
H Offline
So, judging from your professional opinion I should install a standard license first.

May I contact you via PM for the upgrade services?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My inbox and email are always available.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29