Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#253526 08/29/2013 9:32 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
What about

HTML is disabled.
UBBCode is enabled.

What happen if I turn on html? advantages and disadvantages?


Morgan #253527 08/29/2013 1:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
I would not enable html for everyone.
If they post incorrect html code it can break the page/post.
Also it allows the bad creative people another avenue to exploit.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Morgan #253531 08/29/2013 3:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Security is the disadvantage... IMHO "html" posting shouldn't ever be enabled; if they know enough to post proper html then they should know enough to do annoying things like embed javascript in postings or post un-nested html.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Morgan #264470 10/30/2020 1:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Gizmo.. has anything changed regarding enable HTML?
I was asked by a member.

Is it the same risk as in 2013?


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #264471 10/30/2020 1:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
It'll always be the same, as one can use their own tags... I'd rather craft a million allowed custom bbcodes than ever enable HTML for guests/users.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #264475 10/30/2020 1:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
+1

Even the admin can break the site with improperly formatted HTML tags.
Let alone any security risks


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Morgan #264478 10/30/2020 2:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 30
Thanks for answers, i figured it but needed to ask in order to be safe


Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Morgan #264479 10/30/2020 2:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533
Likes: 150
Just as a simple example of what looks like simple code; as an admin go ahead and post a HTML post just including the following:
Code
</div></table>

Notice that by having a stray close table or div tag how your entire forum is messed up on any page displaying this post (the thread, portal news, active topics in this case); this can happen with HTML posts... This is just a minor display problem (and these are two common tags for HTML), not even touching on potential security issues.

I would be surprised to hear a legitimate excuse on why a normal user would need HTML posting access on your forum that can't be solved with UBBCode; all of the formatting coding they should need is represented by UBBCode, HTML/Web Design tools aren't generally something one would need to contribute to a conversation.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 427 guests, and 119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)