change to html.inc.php made as above. my mistake, since i had changed it in production, but not dev.
smarty is really latest .zip from smarty.net, even though the mismatch. the version is 2.6.28 from the downloaded .tar.gz or the .zip. they have the official version in smarty.class.php, but not the compiler or other file there ( i assume they didn't change in the SVN )
i edited the version. now if you can find me one where they properly updated the @version in all files, point the way. my d/l came from http://www.smarty.net/download
i also went over to the google.code SVN and note that it is the same over there, but the 2.6.28 is in the 1 file.
viewport taken out of header.tpl and also the charset has proper quoting.
uploaded new .zip to Brooks, and will await his saying it's been transferred over.
and the html we are using is html5... hence the simple doctype... see 'html5 boilerplate' for more info..